Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 What records are kept when buying guns in MN? 
 Post subject: What records are kept when buying guns in MN?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:05 am 

Hello all. I'll be moving to the St. Paul area in late August / early September (my wife got a new job there!) and need to know the following:

1. Will I need to 'register' any guns I am bringing with me? Take 'register' as broadly as possible here. Does anyone need to be told what weapons I am bringing into the state with me? I don't have any class 3 weapons, just handguns, shotguns, & rifles.

2. When I buy a new handgun in MN, is it officially registered with any state body? Are records kept of the sale that could someday be used as a sort of "back door" registration?

3. Same question regarding shotguns...

4. Same question regarding rifles, be they bolt, semi-auto, or "assault weapons"...

The reason for the questions is that I'm currently living in MS, and I don't believe that anything gets registered here. So, if some type, style, or class of weapon does get registered, or if records of the sale are kept long-term / permanently in MN, I'd prefer to know now so that I can buy those guns I'm interested in while I'm still here in MS.

NOTE: I did search a bit for this info already but couldn't find it. I'm not saying it isn't here, only that I didn't see it. I'll be more than happy to follow any links that might be provided if that is easier than writing out a response - I just need the info! Also, the question didn't really seem to fit neatly into any of the forums, so feel free to move it if necessary.

Thanks all for any help you can provide!

"It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:14 am 
Longtime Regular

AFAIK, no registry as you bring them in.
Currently there's nothing other than the 4473 when a gun is purchased at a dealer.
We do have transferee permits which are required to buy handguns and "Military style Semi-Automatic Rifles". Doesn't list or limit the number of firearms purchased, just required to buy them from the dealer. These are attained from the local PD. 7-10 day turnaround and are good for a year.
Alternately, our carry permit functions as a purchase / transferee permit.

Smart private party sellers are going to ask to see a transferee permit or carry permit before selling to you since it's illegal to sell to a prohibited person. CYA kind of thing.

There are laws proposed in the current legislative session which will require all firearms transfers to be handled at a FLL. Private or commercial, makes no difference.
There's also a provision for a transfer Database to be kept by the Dept of Public Safety. This IS a back door gun registry. We're actively opposing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:18 am 
Longtime Regular

First off, welcom to the forum and MN. I will start with IANAL.
1. Will I need to 'register' any guns I am bringing with me? NO

2. When I buy a new handgun in MN, is it officially registered with any state body? Not suppose to be and not officially/NO if it purchased privately

3. Same question regarding shotguns... same as above

4. Same question regarding rifles, be they bolt, semi-auto, or "assault weapons"... same as above

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:38 am 

plblark-

Thank you very much for all the info!

Just so I'm clear, as it stands now I don't need a 'permit to purchase' or a carry permit to buy any type of shotgun? I am planning to get one for home defense & I will be buying one with the extended magazine and I know that makes it an "assault weapon" in some states.

And, no matter what type of gun, the current law doesn't provide for a description of the gun of any kind, other than what the 4473 requires?

Any idea when a vote will be taken on the back door registration laws currently being proposed?

Is there anything I can do now as a future resident to help persuade those in power to vote against these bills?

Thanks again for the help!

"It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:45 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark,
You beat me to the post. I was taking phone calls between typing. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:49 am 

jaysong-

Thanks to you as well!

I'd rather wait until after I move to MN to buy most, if not all of the guns I'm interested in, simply so as to have my cash available for the unexpected expenses that always come up during a move. It looks like there won't be any advantage to buying before leaving MS, so long as the bills plblark mentioned don't pass. Does this sound right to you? All I should have to do is pay attention to those bills, and if they don't pass (or aren't yet passed / implemented prior to my arrival in MN), then I should be able to purchase any guns I might want once in MN, without worrying about there being a record kept of what I actually bought, right?

One other thing - just to confirm, there is no limit to the number of guns I can purchase at any one time, assuming I have a 'permit to purchase' or a carry permit, right?

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:53 am 
Longtime Regular

Sounds about right to me. You could call my favorite local gunshop to ask as well.

Bill's Gun Shop and Range - Circle Pines - (763) 792-4867

as to the bills in question, they're discussed here:

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... php?t=7880

Post subject: Re: What records are kept when buying guns in MN?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:11 am 
The Man

JGalt wrote:
Hello all. I'll be moving to the St. Paul area in late August / early September (my wife got a new job there!) and need to know the following:

1. Will I need to 'register' any guns I am bringing with me? Take 'register' as broadly as possible here. Does anyone need to be told what weapons I am bringing into the state with me? I don't have any class 3 weapons, just handguns, shotguns, & rifles.

2. When I buy a new handgun in MN, is it officially registered with any state body? Are records kept of the sale that could someday be used as a sort of "back door" registration?

3. Same question regarding shotguns...

4. Same question regarding rifles, be they bolt, semi-auto, or "assault weapons"...

No, no, no, and no. :) For now. :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

JGalt wrote:
Hello all. I'll be moving to the St. Paul area in late August / early September (my wife got a new job there!)

JGalt, welcome to the forum and to Minnesota! You must have came over here from the DefensiveCarry.com forum. I'm the same Lenny7 that sent you over here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:14 pm 

Lenny7 wrote:
JGalt wrote:
Hello all. I'll be moving to the St. Paul area in late August / early September (my wife got a new job there!)

JGalt, welcome to the forum and to Minnesota! You must have came over here from the DefensiveCarry.com forum. I'm the same Lenny7 that sent you over here.

Yup, that'd be me :lol:
I've refined the question I'd posted on DC, so I figured I'd come straight to the experts here for my answers, rather than asking a national forum...

Thanks for letting me know about this site - I've lurked for a couple of weeks and it is pretty darned nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:44 pm 

Ayn Rand fan?

edit: either I am blind or thats a new sig...

Last edited by mitchx3 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:58 pm 

mitchx3 wrote:
Ayn Rand fan?

Never heard of her. What would give you the idea I was a fan...?

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:02 pm 
Delicate Flower

Welcome aboard

Suggest your first gun priority when settled in is to get your carry permit (wife also) Check the training section for class dates and locations. As mentioned earlier it doubles as a purchase permit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:20 pm 

ttousi wrote:
Suggest your first gun priority when settled in is to get your carry permit (wife also) Check the training section for class dates and locations. As mentioned earlier it doubles as a purchase permit.

If I can get my Utah permit before leaving MS, then adding the MN permit will merely be near the top of my to-do list. If I can't, then it'll be 2nd on my list behind setting up my bed! If this is the case, I'll be looking to take a class (hopefully) within a few days of my arrival.

So, it'll happen either immediately upon arrival, or within a month or two.

As for my wife, she is completely supportive, and will get her permit at some point, but she is totally uninterested for right now. She's actually a professor, and while I know it's legal for her to carry on campus, she's really looking forward to this job & doesn't want to get fired!

That leads me to another question - two of them actually:

1. Is there any requirement for 'establishing residency' in MN before I am able to apply for & receive a permit? Will a copy of my signed lease be enough to prove my residency? I know it is possible to get a non-resident permit, but I won't be up there physically until I actually arrive with all of our stuff, so that's kind of a non-starter for me.

2. Are there any restrictions on carrying OC in MN? Specifically, does anyone know if OC is considered a 'weapon' on university campuses? If not, then that is what my wife will stick with. If yes, then, well, let's just hope the answer is no...

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:22 pm 
1911 tainted

ttousi wrote:
Check the training section for class dates and locations.
Or check the sig line under the post made by instructors. Maybe it is just me, but I very rarely post my classes because I am in the southern Minnesota area.

Welcome.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.