Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Just got back from HF 498 and here are my thoughts. 
 Post subject: Re: Just got back from HF 498 and here are my thoughts.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
What did kind of bother me was that after the "he has a gun" comment, Tony had to clarify that he was an active LEO, probably to calm the lady down and if so, I saw no need for this, she didn't have a clue as to was really going on anyway.

+1. That he explained at all is bad. That he explained citing his special status is disappointing, even if expedient. If an explanation was really necessary, a much more germane one would have been desirable, e.g. to explain the rights to self defense we all have, including her.

There ought to be some sanctions against derisive comments by committee chairs. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:10 am 

Quote:
There ought to be some sanctions against derisive comments by committee chairs.

Remember "Membership has its priviledges"

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Tex wrote:
Quote:
There ought to be some sanctions against derisive comments by committee chairs.

Remember "Membership has its priviledges"

The hell it does! :twisted:

I have to say, growing up I mainly voted with the dems. I've since let my party membership go away in the last few years (due to numerous issues, not just firearms). I still consider myself a very independent voter.

And now I'm a PISSED and INSULTED independent voter. I'm currently putting together the letter to Rep. Mullery explaining that while I am not in his district and therefore cannot vote for his placement in the unemployment line, I can vote against him with my contributions and OTHER votes against his party, since as a committee chair I will assume that he represents the party line.

CC on that letter will be the other DFL'ers on the committee, AND party leadership.

GOP is gonna get some cash from me this year.

-Mark

Last edited by mrokern on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:03 am 
Journeyman Member

The Chaska police chief did look vain with that ridiculous get-up. At least Chief Justice Rehnquist, rest his soul, was Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States when he added the somewhat subtle black bars to his robes. It would be fun to persuade a Chaska resident on our side to testify sometime in a Napoleon or Patton outfit, as a gentle ribbing.

havegunjoe - I was seated directly behind you in the first room, and asked you who was selling buttons (which I forgot to put back on in the second room -- doh!).

princewally - I was the guy two seats to your left in the first room, and four seats to your left in the second, I believe. I agree, cute kid, and pretty well-behaved to sit through committee meetings!

mrokern - I was the guy two seats to your left in the second room.

I was also the guy who stumbled back in late to the second room because I had left my meter quarters in there and took my chances wandering the ghetto in search of quarters instead.

It was nice to associate names and faces, even though I just joined.

Incidentally, in my uninformed opinion, I think it is good when our side presents calm, rational arguments. The other side looks hysterical with the tired "think of the children" and "blood will flow in the streets" mantras and ignores the actual content of bills. It seems to me that legislators and others will eventually take notice that our side is fact-based while theirs is feelings-based.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:08 am 

Now that I have had a chance to sleep and reflect I would like to give some of my impressions of the day.
1. We are a diverse crowd! :D There were no "Bubba's" in the crowd. We all looked very good representing our professions, lifestyles, and families. IMHO the opposition showed extremes, from the 'General' to 'Angry Mom'
2. We earned respect and educated on-lookers. I watched and learned when Joel spoke with a gentleman from the AG's office and he learned that we were not a bunch of angry white Replubicans. I overheard a lady asking why we were there and she was given the time for good answers, even when we needed to move into the next room. I found a retired math teacher from St. Paul who is seeing the gang problems first hand and came down to support the bill. He will be visiting this site and will be gaining knowledge from this forum because we took the time to show up and teach.
3. We were polite to the representatives when the came through our crowd. We didn't harass them, we didn't interfere. Some other groups tried to stop individuals to sway their decision or to 'introduce you to my friend'. Politicians want to be nice, that's how they get re-elected, but it is exhausting when you have meetings on your mind.
4. It was a tie vote. Defeat, yes, but seldom do issues such as this come that close. It means we have elected officials who are listening and upholding the Constitution. I see a future of our elected reps in St. Paul becoming divided by individual rights vs. big gov't and not D vs. R.
5. Mullery's example should show us that the office of Governor or President are not the only positions that matter. Party leaders in Congress control the flow of legislation. If bills don't get by the legislature it doesn't matter how the Big Guy feels. Start rating all of your elected officials and campaign for the candidates that best represent you. People will get out to vote for their 'favorite' presidential candidate this year because it will be fun. They will be uneducated about other offices, make your vote count!

Good show ladies, gentlemen, and kids. Especially kids, I will be bringing my teenager's next time to watch and learn.

Just my view,
Tex

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

I had to thank my rep today.

Dear Representative Poppe,

I want to thank you for the hard work you do representing the City of Racine and the rest of your district. I especially want to thank you today for being one of fifteen democrats to vote against tabling H.F. 775. I am very disappointed and somewhat angered at the recent actions of the rest of the house DFLers. The "Stand Your Ground" bill ended up in a 9-9 tie and didn't make it out of committee. Unfortunately, Joe Mullery showed his arrogance and disdain for all the permit holders with his actions yesterday. Once again, the cries of "blood in the streets" won out over the rational thought process. It is quite apparent that most of the DFL leadership values the welfare of criminals over the welfare of the law abiding citizens of Minnesota. Thank you for having the integrity to stand up for our rights. Thank you and have a great weekend.

Sincerely,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:47 am 
Longtime Regular

I got a reply from my letter to Senator Dan Sparks today. This time he actually said that if "Castle Doctrine" comes up for a vote he will vote yes. It pays to keep contacting your legislators. Don't allow them to sit on the fence.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.