Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Need info for meeting with state rep tomorrow 
 Post subject: Need info for meeting with state rep tomorrow
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:57 pm 
Journeyman Member

I'm meeting with my state rep around noon on Friday (tomorrow or today depending on when you read this) to discuss HF 3324. I know you're all worn out from the HF 498 hearing today, but I really hope some of you can help me out tonight or early Friday. There are a few things I'd like to know, and I'm pretty sure some of you will know:

1) Is there currently anyplace in Mpls or St. Paul where one can buy a gun over the counter? In other words, are there any easily-located FFLs in the core cities who can legally handle transfers as mandated by the bill?

2) Are there any other major cities in Minnesota with no over-the-counter gun dealers (Duluth, maybe)?

3) What are the possible responses to an NICS background check? How much explanation is given for delay or denial?

4) My impression is that NICS background checks give a fair number of false negatives that need to be sorted out ... e.g., denying John Smith the shoe salesman because they got him confused with John Smith the serial killer. Is this correct, and can anyone elaborate?

5) Can anyone give or point me to clear explanations of a) what the anti's think the "gun show loophole" is and b) what it really is or isn't?

6) Is it safe to say that any kind of registration requirement, such as in the current bill, will set off a hornets nest of gun-rights activisim that will work to the DFL's detriment this fall and in 2010? Elaboration welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:31 pm 

1:http://www.creditcardshotgun.com/default.html

4:Yes. Possibly hit on the issue of identity theft(SSN, name, etc) causing a denial, everyone and their mom is scared to death of it. A unique ID number can be obtained to prevent future denials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:35 pm 
Journeyman Member

mitchx3 wrote:
1:http://www.creditcardshotgun.com/default.html

Isn't Koscielski's still not allowed to sell over the counter? Last I heard was a couple years ago, and he was using the store like a showroom, then completing the sales at gunshows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

correct. I suspect the link was to let you read his story (the process) in Mark's own words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:21 pm 

I am meeting my rep next Tuesday and would also like to have more info on the 'gun show loophole'. Is a carry or purchase permit currently required to close these sales? A list of talking points for upcoming legislation would also be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:31 pm 
Delicate Flower

Quote:
6) Is it safe to say that any kind of registration requirement, such as in the current bill, will set off a hornets nest of gun-rights activisim that will work to the DFL's detriment this fall and in 2010? Elaboration welcome.

Absolutely............this would bring all the fudds into play

Fudd Definition............hunter whose only concern is his hunting rifle/shotgun and erroneously thinks these types of bills will not affect their hunting firearms............until too late. When Uncle Bill realizes he can't simply hand over a shotgun/rifle to nephew with out a complete background check he will be POed.

BTW most fudds don't realize that their semi auto shotgun or rifle could fall in the assault weapon category by the change of a few words in a bill.

Gun show loophole is nothing more than a transaction between private parties that may take place at a gun show. Catch all phrase.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:11 am 
Longtime Regular

Yes. Very much so.

What happens if we are required to run a background check every time is that you find someone that want to buy a pistol from you. You go to a FFL, the FFL runs the NICS check, finds that the person *can't* own a firearm, they then have to run a NICS on you so you can retake position of the firearm. Guess who gets to pay for that all?

Also if the police want to find a straw purchaser, that is very easy. They only need to check the first person who purchased the pistol from an FFL.

Just remember we don't need any more laws.

Last edited by someone1980 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:01 am 

I believe that Gene's Gun Repair is in St. Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:34 am 
Journeyman Member

Jeff wrote:

Thanks. I just google-mapped it, and it appears to be in Burnsville. Lots of places that are outside the Mpls/St Paul city limits will show a Mpls or St Paul address, for whatever reason, and this appears to be one of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:57 am 
On time out

Is joe's in St Paul? I know its close to the border but not sure if its there or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:12 am 
Longtime Regular

Roseville

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:43 pm 

mostlylurkin wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Thanks. I just google-mapped it, and it appears to be in Burnsville. Lots of places that are outside the Mpls/St Paul city limits will show a Mpls or St Paul address, for whatever reason, and this appears to be one of them.

There use to be a Gene's Gun Repair in West Saint Paul but Gene died about a year ago and the shop has been closed since.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:49 pm 

Oh no. I hadn't heard. I used to enjoy stopping by there to chat with Gene. That's too bad. I still have many of the items that I either bought or transferred there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:06 pm 
Journeyman Member

Thanks for the help. The meeting went very well. My metro DFL rep, with who I already had a good relationship, understands the political situation associated with gun control legislation much better now.

My rep also confirmed that the bill would not make it out of committee, as mentioned above.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.