Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:30 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 A side-by-side comparison of amici 
 Post subject: A side-by-side comparison of amici
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

I got a fascinating email from the VPC today, about how a side-by-side comparison of the amici, well, read it for yourself.

Quote:
Dear Violence Policy Center Action Network Member:

Today the U.S. Supreme Court is hearing the case District of Columbia v. Heller, a challenge to Washington, DC's more than 30-year-old ban on handguns. Yesterday, in preparation for today's oral arguments, the Violence Policy Center issued the following press release: http://www.vpc.org/press/0803heller.htm

Included in the release are links to the following.

The amicus brief filed in the case by the Violence Policy Center and joined by the police chiefs of Los Angeles, Minneapolis, and Seattle: http://www.vpc.org/hellerbrief.pdf

A side-by-side comparison of amici in the case showing that the DC handgun ban is supported by a wide array of mainstream American institutions. In comparison, a significant number of those who oppose it have gun industry or gun lobby ties:
http://www.vpc.org/Amici%20comparison%20list.pdf

A new Washington Post national poll showing that 59 percent of the American public supports restrictions identical to Washington, DC's gun laws-a ban on handgun possession and the requirement that legally possessed rifles and shotguns be either disassembled or secured with a trigger lock: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2008/03/16/GR2008031600072.html?sid=ST2008031502430

Also, yesterday's Washington Post op-ed page featured an article excerpting a section of the VPC's amicus brief in the case:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/16/AR2008031602129.html

As this case moves forward, we will continue to keep you updated on what effect the Supreme Court's eventual ruling will have not only on Washington, DC's handgun ban, but on gun laws across the nation.

Thank you, as always, for your efforts to stop gun death and injury.

Sincerely,

Josh Sugarmann
Executive Director

Read the Amici Comparison List for yourself.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:27 pm 
The Man

We got them, err, outgunned. So to speak.

I'm pissed, though; I didn't see Professor Olson's name on their list. Who else did they miss?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
We got them, err, outgunned. So to speak.

What fascinated me was they offered this up as evidence of how overwhelming the support was for them.

For them:

Former Department of Justice Officials: 13
District Attorneys: 18
Members of Congress: 18
State Attorneys General: 5

For us:

Former Department of Justice Officials: 11
District Attorneys: 30
Members of Congress: 306
State Attorneys General: 31
Retired Military Officers: 31
Women State Legislators: 122

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
I'm pissed, though; I didn't Professor Olson's name on their list. Who else did they miss?

He's an unnamed contributor via Academics for the Second Amendment (first on the list) no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:13 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I think the last page really sums it up. More criminal (dare I say) experts should really say something to people who are undecided or open minded.

If the problem with guns is crime, turn to experts for a solution. Not the uneducated.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.