Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:35 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 SCOTUS takes new gun case 
 Post subject: SCOTUS takes new gun case
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Found here.

Quote:
I am sure regular readers are tired of me linking the Heller Second Amendment case to various sentencing issues, but a new Supreme Court cert. grant today is only going to fuel my gun fires. Here are the basics from this post at SCOTUSblog:

Quote:
In the second grant Monday, the Court agreed to hear a Justice Department appeal in U.S. v. Hayes (07-608), urging it to clarify the federal law that makes it a crime to have a gun after being convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. The specific issue is whether the federal ban at issue requires that the convicted individual and the victim in the underlying crime have a domestic relationship — that is, as a spouse, parent or guardian.

Though it appears that Hayes is only about a technical statutory issue, the case could end up being about a lot more if Heller declares that there is an enforceable individual right to keep a gun. Here are the key facts in Hayes from the Fourth Circuit opinion on which cert was sought by the Justice Department:
Quote:
In 1994, [Randy Edward] Hayes pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor battery offense under West Virginia law, in the magistrate court of Marion County, West Virginia (the "1994 State Offense"). The victim of the 1994 State Offense was Hayes's then wife, Mary Ann (now Mary Carnes), with whom he lived and had a child. As a result of the 1994 State Offense, Hayes was sentenced to a year of probation.

Ten years later, on July 25, 2004, the authorities in Marion County were summoned to Hayes's home in response to a domestic violence 911 call. When police officers arrived at Hayes's home, he consented to a search thereof, and a Winchester rifle was discovered. Hayes was arrested and, on January 4, 2005, indicted in federal court on three charges of possessing firearms after having been convicted of an MCDV, in violation of 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(g)(9) and 924(a)(2).

This fascinating little case should help everyone understand why Solicitor General Paul Clement is justifiably concerned about a broad pro-gun constitutional ruling in Heller. If the Second Amendment truly protects an individual right to domestic self protection, prosecuting Randy Edward Hayes for having a Winchester in his home seems very constitutionally troublesome. And, at the very least, if Heller says anything nice about the constitution and gun possession, the doctrine of constitutional doubt ought to impact how the statutory issue in Hayes plays out.

I wonder if the NRA will file a brief on behalf of Randy Edward Hayes in the Supreme Court. I wonder if VP Dick Cheney will sign a brief including members of Congress on behalf of Randy Edward Hayes in the Supreme Court. I wonder if any other bloggers will connect the dots between Heller and Hayes like I do. I wonder if everyone just thinks I'm just a gun-crazy, latte-sipping blogger.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Personal opinion? Only gun in his house should be owned by the woman, to cover herself as she runs away from this abuser.

Not sure how I feel on this one. If someone pounds on their wife/live-in partner, they are scum and I don't know that I want to give that person a weapon to cause more damage.

JMO, YMMV, etc, etc.

You are right though, it does make for an interesting legal issue.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:51 am 

now I'm not saying this is the case here, but it has been known to happen that a disapointed or angry wife will file domestic or sexual assault charges falsely against their husband, and that he will either plead guilty or be convicted, as the court system strongly favors women in these circumstances. While I agree that someone who abuses their spouse, or a rapist should not legally be given a firearm, there are good men currently imprisoned, on probation, or with these crimes on their record who are completely innocent.

To be honest, I'm not sure where I stand on this.

Good post wally. Thanks.

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:13 am 
Longtime Regular

nmat wrote:
now I'm not saying this is the case here, but it has been known to happen that a disapointed or angry wife will file domestic or sexual assault charges falsely against their husband, and that he will either plead guilty or be convicted, as the court system strongly favors women in these circumstances. While I agree that someone who abuses their spouse, or a rapist should not legally be given a firearm, there are good men currently imprisoned, on probation, or with these crimes on their record who are completely innocent.

Very true. In this particular case though, two incidents, involving different women? He's likely an actual offender.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:56 am 

agreed.

NRA Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:14 am 

Quote:
The specific issue is whether the federal ban at issue requires that the convicted individual and the victim in the underlying crime have a domestic relationship — that is, as a spouse, parent or guardian.

I can't make much of a connection between this and Heller. This guy seems to be arguing that since he didn't have a domestic relationship with the victim he can't be guilty of domestic violence. The 'facts' given seem to say he did.

The article doesn't make sense to me. Is the writer is implying that if Heller is upheld then convicted abusers will be able to have guns?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:40 am 
Longtime Regular

Suited wrote:
I can't make much of a connection between this and Heller. This guy seems to be arguing that since he didn't have a domestic relationship with the victim he can't be guilty of domestic violence. The 'facts' given seem to say he did.

AIUI, the question is do the federal laws kick in when someone is convicted of a misdemeanor crime of violence, directed at someone with hom you have a domestic relationship. or when someone is convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

That is, if a state has a law against domestic violence, and a different law against violence in general, if you're convicted of the latter, but your victim was someone with whom you had a domestic relationship, do the federal restrictions kick in, or do they only apply when you're convicted of the former.

Suited wrote:
The article doesn't make sense to me. Is the writer is implying that if Heller is upheld then convicted abusers will be able to have guns?

I think the writer is implying that if Heller is upheld, then the courts will examine issues like these more carefully, to ensure they aren't infringing on individual rights. Personally, I think the only difference is that they'll be more careful about including sufficient rationalization in the opinion to justify why they're infringing on individual rights.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:49 am 
Longtime Regular

A misdemeanor is a low level "crime" having nothing to do with gun violence. In fact I think guns are less likely to be used in a domestic assault than an assault of the street. Misdemeanor assult is usually pushing and shoving.

This stuff becomes a game with many couples, the police have to arrest a person if there is evidence of unwanted touching, and the lost guns are usually the biggest penalty.

This was just an excuse for more gun control law. Spousal abusers are unpopular so nobody stuck up for them. Hopefully the law will be struck down.

I don't like spousal abusers, but it has nothing to do with guns, these laws usually just increase the frustration that leads to abuse, and makes it harder to settle these cases. And gun control doesn't work anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:33 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Personal opinion? Only gun in his house should be owned by the woman, to cover herself as she runs away from this abuser.

Not sure how I feel on this one. If someone pounds on their wife/live-in partner, they are scum and I don't know that I want to give that person a weapon to cause more damage.

JMO, YMMV, etc, etc.

You are right though, it does make for an interesting legal issue.

-Mark

Say that now... till your ex-wife states how you abused her (unless of course you agree to the divorse proceeding on her terms). Or your child is upset because you won't allow her, at the ripe old age of 12, to have a boyfriend (who is 17), so she calls the cops because you spanked her. Or your 14 yr old son who is drinking an on drugs already; decides he thinks HE should be in charge of the house, so he calls the cops about how you abuse him... see the trend here? not all 'abusers' are really 'abusers'.

Once you are no longer in a domestic relationship with a person, the limits on your rights should end.

And remember - as Mr. Unger pointed out - Gun laws don't work!

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:58 am 

So the issues are should the restrictions on a convicted domestic abuser end when the relationship does and if not convicted of domestic violence but of some other crime in a domestic setting can the Feds rescind a persons gun rights. Thanks for the clarifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:10 pm 

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
Say that now... till your ex-wife states how you abused her (unless of course you agree to the divorse proceeding on her terms). Or your child is upset because you won't allow her, at the ripe old age of 12, to have a boyfriend (who is 17), so she calls the cops because you spanked her. Or your 14 yr old son who is drinking an on drugs already; decides he thinks HE should be in charge of the house, so he calls the cops about how you abuse him... see the trend here? not all 'abusers' are really 'abusers'.

Once you are no longer in a domestic relationship with a person, the limits on your rights should end.

Mostly-

Honestly, those scenarios, as well as a false rape allegation are what keep me awake at night. The thought that not only could I be convicted and imprisoned falsely, and after that have my rights taken away, all because of a lie that held more credibility in the eyes of the legal system than my truthful testimony. While my gut tells me that arming anyone with any form of violence on their record is a bad idea, scenarios like those above make me cautious. Where can we draw the line, and who decides where it gets drawn? Honestly, I'm starting to agree with Unger more and more, Gun laws don't work...

NRA Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
A misdemeanor is a low level "crime" having nothing to do with gun violence. In fact I think guns are less likely to be used in a domestic assault than an assault of the street. Misdemeanor assult is usually pushing and shoving.

This stuff becomes a game with many couples, the police have to arrest a person if there is evidence of unwanted touching, and the lost guns are usually the biggest penalty.

This was just an excuse for more gun control law. Spousal abusers are unpopular so nobody stuck up for them. Hopefully the law will be struck down.

I don't like spousal abusers, but it has nothing to do with guns, these laws usually just increase the frustration that leads to abuse, and makes it harder to settle these cases. And gun control doesn't work anyway.

Great post Dick! Laws do not protect people. Beating someone against their will is almost always illegal. How does another gun law protect them?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

nmat wrote:
mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:

Mostly-

Honestly, those scenarios, as well as a false rape allegation are what keep me awake at night. The thought that not only could I be convicted and imprisoned falsely, and after that have my rights taken away, all because of a lie that held more credibility in the eyes of the legal system than my truthful testimony. While my gut tells me that arming anyone with any form of violence on their record is a bad idea, scenarios like those above make me cautious. Where can we draw the line, and who decides where it gets drawn? Honestly, I'm starting to agree with Unger more and more, Gun laws don't work...

You thought Gun Laws worked? Bad Gun owner! Bad Gun Owner! 8)

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:43 pm 

What can I say, I spent over half my life in a family that very loudly yelled, "Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?!?!?", and "Guns are the DEVIL!". I'm becoming a reformed man, but it takes time.

NRA Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

nmat wrote:
What can I say, I spent over half my life in a family that very loudly yelled, "Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?!?!?", and "Guns are the DEVIL!". I'm becoming a reformed man, but it takes time.

oh Jees!! nmat is so liberal he thinks Mr. Unger is conservative gun nut!!!!

Sorry - just poking fun at you.

Mostly-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.