Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Assault weapon ban returning 
 Post subject: Assault weapon ban returning
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:11 pm 
Wise Elder

Remember last week's article in the STRIB?
Well, it's part of a coordinated national PRESS campaign.

FROM NRA-ILA:
Quote:
Setting The Stage Locally For A New, Broader "Assault Weapons" Ban Nationwide

Friday, April 04, 2008

If you don’t live in a state that has an “assault weapon” ban, that issue might be off your radar screen these days. After all, the federal ban--on standard-capacity magazines and semi-automatics with a certain combination of cosmetic features--has been defunct for nearly four years.

But anti-gun politicians and news media at the state level are ginning up for a 2009 campaign to enact a ban like that proposed by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), because they know that both of the front-runners for the Democrat Party presidential nomination would sign such a ban into law in a New York minute.

Knowing that the political landscape could be decisively different in 2009, anti-gun politicians and news media are currently trying to resurrect the “assault weapon” issue at the state level, to place it back on the political front burner.

First, newspapers began clamoring for a ban in Florida. Now, the Associated Press (AP) is trying to bolster support for a ban introduced in Louisiana, alleging an increase in crimes with AK-47-type rifles, based entirely upon BATFE firearm tracing data--even though the Congressional Research Service has repeatedly said traces cannot be used to determine how often any type of gun is used in crime. For some reason, AP also devoted attention to the fact that fully-automatic AKs are used by combatants in Iraq and Afghanistan, even though that is irrelevant to semi-automatic AKs branded with the phony "assault weapon" name. AP also claimed that AKs fire high-velocity ammunition, even though 7.62x39 is almost the lowest velocity .30 caliber rifle round in existence, similar to, but less powerful than, the modestly powered .30-30 Winchester, the most popular deer rifle in U.S. history.

Needless to say, even though the "assault weapon" issue is more than 20 years old, reporters still are not getting it right, either because they are biased or because they are too lazy to research the subject. NRA members can help set the record straight by sending letters to the editors of their local newspapers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:29 pm 
1911 tainted

I agree, write, call, e-mail and talk to any media, letters to the editors and any politician that you can, but do it as a concerned citizen.

So I want to point out, don't do this -
Quote:
NRA members can help set the record straight by sending letters to the editors of their local newspapers.

Yes, I am a life member of the NRA, but I think that once you make the fact known that you are a NRA member and because they are bias, they may very well pass you off as a fringe nut and not pay attention to what you have to say.

Let the NRA use it's membership and numbers to push issues, but I think it better to respond to issues as a single person than to proclaim an affiliation to an organization.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:16 am 

If anyone writes an editorial, I do have an inside track at the STRIB, so I'm more than happy to help get them pushed through.

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:47 am 

Every weapon is an Assault Weapon in the hands of a criminal. Let's ban criminals to solve the problem.

I suggest this as an opening line or a closing line in your letter. People want to rid society of violence from guns. Banning some flavor of gun isn't going to do anything more than punish people who own them legally.

Here is an enlightening (for the novice) video on semi-auto v.s. automatic rifles done by a police officer/trainer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIIjIFKYYg Send it along with your note.

I will be happy to help write/rewrite letters and responses...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.