Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 CSM "lie-in" at the Capitol 
 Post subject: CSM "lie-in" at the Capitol
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:41 am 
Wise Elder

Those who have no jobs have lots of time.

Quote:
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:11:47
To:<csm@endgunviolence.com>
Subject: Rally at the Capitol April 16 at 1pm

Please join us as we ‘Lie In’ at the state Capitol on April 16
to remember the 32 people killed at Virginia Tech &
the 32 people murdered everyday in the US by gun violence!

If you would like to participate on that day, please contact Sue Fust at the CSM office. We need 32 people wearing black to lay down for 3 minutes at a rally in front of the Capitol building Wednesday, April 16 at 1:00 p.m. We also need as many people as possible to attend the rally even if you are not one of the 32.

This is part of a nationwide effort to remember the victims of gun violence and to call attention to the problem of illegal gun trafficking and easy access of guns to criminals.
See www.protesteasyguns.org

Sue Fust
Executive Director
Citizens for a Safer Minnesota

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:00 am 
1911 tainted

So can we attend also and stand over each one of the bodies dressed in black with a sign that reads -

"A LICENSED PERMIT HOLDER COULD HAVE SAVED THIS LIFE"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:28 am 
Longtime Regular

Sign up as an attendee, then refuse to lie down. Instead take your cover garment off and loadly proclaim - I AM PREPARED - THEREFORE I AM NOT DEAD!

:lol:

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:23 am 
Longtime Regular

We need "Self Defense is a Human Right" t-shirts.

I work that day and won't be able to make it.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:41 am 

Here's some more about the "protesteasyguns" group - I've bolded and made red the statement in the next quote I find to be at odds with their "What We Want" quote that follows:

Quote:
Who are we?
Concerned citizens, like you, who believe that it is too easy to purchase guns in America. We began as a group of 32 women in Alexandria, Virginia who held a civil protest to express outrage over the shootings that took place at Virginia Tech, the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history. We are not against hunters, guns for private protection or collectors of guns. We are for background checks for gun purchases and keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, dangerous individuals, and people not capable of handling a gun responsibly.

We are grass roots. We are not part of any organization. We don't raise money.
We are Republicans, Democrats, and Independents, united in our outrage that mass shootings still continue in our country.
Our goal is to stimulate public discourse on reasonable and effective guns laws.
We are determined to make a difference!

Quote:
What We Want
DID YOU KNOW?
Every Day in the United States --
CRIMINALS, TERRORISTS, AND GANG MEMBERS ARE ALLOWED TO BUY GUNS AT GUN SHOWS WITHOUT ANY BACKGROUND CHECKS

What can Americans do about it?

CLOSE THE GUNSHOW LOOPHOLE so that ALL sellers of guns will have to conduct background checks on whomever they are selling guns to. Tell your legislators to support Senator Lautenberg’s bill (S. 2577) and Rep. Castle’s bill (H.R. 96) so that Congress will CLOSE THE GUNSHOW LOOPHOLE nationwide.

Currently, a gun show loophole allows unlicensed, private dealers to sell guns to people without conducting a background check. There are approximately 5,000 gun shows every year across the United States and 40% of sales at these shows are by unlicensed sellers who are not required to perform background checks. The ATF says that gunshows are the second leading source of crime guns. Although 15 states have taken action to close this loophole, 35 states have not! It is time for ALL states to close it.

TAKE ACTION and MAKE A DIFFERENCE: Type in your zipcode in Congress.org to easily link to your legislators and email/phone them TODAY to tell them to support S. 2577 and H.R. 96.

CRIMINALS WITH HIGH-POWERED ASSAULT WEAPONS ARE A THREAT TO OUR POLICE AND THE REST OF US

REINSTATE THE ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN AND THE FEDERAL BAN ON HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES?

The Assault Weapons Ban was allowed to expire by the President and Congress in 2004. Consequently, these military weapons -- like semiautomatic AK-47s and Uzis -- are again easily available and back on our streets and high-capacity bullet magazines (larger than 10 rounds) are available once again. It was the availability of such magazines that allowed the VA Tech shooter the means to murder so many people so quickly. He used 15-round magazines which became legal when the original Assault Weapons Ban expired in September 2004.

TAKE ACTION and MAKE A DIFFERENCE: Type in your zipcode in Congress.org to easily link to your legislators and email/phone them TODAY to tell them that citizens should NOT be able to purchase military assault weapons and high capacity magazines and you want them banned

GUN TRAFFICKERS ARE PROTECTED BY CONGRESS WHICH KEEPS INFORMATION ON CRIME GUNS AWAY FROM LAW ENFORCEMENT

Tell Congress to REMOVE THE TIAHRT RESTRICTIONS in the ATF budget which makes crime gun data secret.

For five years restrictions in the ATF budget have kept most information about crime guns from law enforcement. We must remove the "Tiahrt" restrictions to give law enforcement full access to crime gun trace data so that they can solve gun trafficking cases and get crime guns off the streets sooner.

TAKE ACTION and MAKE A DIFFERENCE: Type in your zipcode in Congress.org to easily link to your legislators and email/phone them TODAY to tell them to remove the Tiahrt restrictions

IT IS TIME TO PUT COMMON SENSE INTO OUR GUN LAWS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:52 am 
Longtime Regular

Cobb wrote:

Quote:
A LICENSED PERMIT HOLDER COULD HAVE SAVED THIS LIFE"

A good idea, I would suggest a minor wording change:

"ONE licensed permit holder could have saved ALL of these lives."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:11 am 
Longtime Regular

I find it completely despicable that they will use the anniversary of the Virgina Tech shooting to push a political agenda. IMHO, April 16 should not be a date to push political agendas, either pro-gun or anti-gun. The anniversary of the deaths of the 32 killed at Virginia Tech should be to honor and respect those who were killed. Rather than fighting over "your life could have been saved by [insert personal beliefs]" the date should be respected by celebrating those who lived and, for those who choose to, mourning their loss.

I can't imagine the turmoil that the families of the victims have gone through already. Could you imagine how much more turmoil they will experience over seeing a political fight over your son or daughter's death on the anniversary of their murder? I won't be a part of that.

I say offer respect and condolences... nothing else on April 16. I would encourage CSM, if they're looking over this, to do the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:33 am 

AGoodDay, while I agree we should mourn the victims, I think we owe it to them and their families to fight for common sense on this issue. If my child had been killed on a campus that bans guns, I would want to get the law changed to allow people to carry so that it wouldn't recur without at least one or two armed students to respond.

I can get T-shirts made by the 16th.

Guessing about $20.00 per shirt.

www.banstupid.com is a new website (and movement) started by myself to address the absolute lunacy that has overtaken our government through legislation by emotion and ignorance.

I am willing to get this put together. How many folks here would be interested in getting this accomplished by the 16th?

Let me know,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:55 am 

I'd proudly wear a shirt like that. Unfortunately my daughter has preschool from 12-2 M and W so we can't make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:22 am 

I would wear that, heck I'd order one right now. But I won't be at the sit in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:29 am 
Longtime Regular

A couple more good black t-shirts:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:54 am 
Longtime Regular

johninminnesota wrote:
AGoodDay, while I agree we should mourn the victims, I think we owe it to them and their families to fight for common sense on this issue. If my child had been killed on a campus that bans guns, I would want to get the law changed to allow people to carry so that it wouldn't recur without at least one or two armed students to respond.

I can get T-shirts made by the 16th.

Guessing about $20.00 per shirt.

www.banstupid.com is a new website (and movement) started by myself to address the absolute lunacy that has overtaken our government through legislation by emotion and ignorance.

I am willing to get this put together. How many folks here would be interested in getting this accomplished by the 16th?

Let me know,
John

John, if you're heading down to the capitol I'm down for it. I'm thinking something along the lines of Mostly's thinking would work pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:10 am 

I think it is good to respect the victims of this and every other violent criminal attack. I don't oppose getting guns out of criminals' hands. I don't believe legislation is the answer.

I don't want to be perceived as a bully by anyone, and I don't want anyone "bullying" me into submission with legislation that restricts my rights. I prefer not to disrupt their mission, only overshadow and overwhelm it with ours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:37 am 
Longtime Regular

While I think it would be entirely awesome to have someone be CCW and not go down, i think it is wrought with problems.
It be disrespectful to those involved in the VT shooting. (I also think that the CMS Lay-in is disrespectful.)
It would cause a great deal of fear, and controversy. These people are SCARED of guns. Revealing you are wearing a gun whilst involved in this lay-in will most certainly cause them to panic. Calling the police will be short after that.
The news media will most likely be there already, you know, to cover such a historic and courageous ceremony. Having a panic break out because there is a madman with a gun will give them a field day, and is not something that would benefit our side.

All in all, the cost (police? bad media?) does not seem to outweigh the benefit (pissing of the anti-2A groups) to me.

Regardless, I won't be able to be there, I will be at work.

Last edited by SultanOfBrunei on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:28 am 
Longtime Regular

The "liars' from CSM would happily lie in the blood of the victims for a media minute.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.