Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 CSM "lie-in" at the Capitol 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Does anyone know where on the grounds this will happen? Where is the best place to park?

ETA: found the location on protesteasyguns.com
MINNESOTA
Minneapolis/St. Paul-32 ( 1 pm, Steps of State Capitol)
Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth-32 (12 noon, UMD Kirby Student Center Lounge- 1st Floor
1120 Kirby Drive)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hey, it was good to meet some of you guys in person at the Lie-In. Sorry I had to leave so early to get back to work, but you know how that goes.

A photog asked me for my name when I was leaving, I freaked and gave him some bunk info, but he did act interested in our side, at least for a the brief conversation. He seemed interested in hearing "the other side of the story."

The CSM had 30 (maybe 40) people there. A lot of private buses from retirement homes (opps, these old people were not CSM), and a bongo-drum corp from a northfield art school. I left before the actual lie-in so maybe someone else can fill in the rest.

Last edited by SultanOfBrunei on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

The old folks were there for old folks' legislation, not CSM. They had about 32 "lie-ers", and not many more. One was an infiltrator,who pulled out a sign reading "I'd be alive if I had my gun!"

We started out with 4 of us "observers", plus the infiltrator, but Sultan had to leave early. Kimberman also stopped by and did a count of his own. There were about 9 bongo drummers, and some more as camera people.

I did an interview with CCO radio with Erik Eskola, and one for Channel 11. Many photos of our tiny counter-protest were taken.

Their side had Paymar speak, and a St Paul Councilman, also a few others.

Afterwards, a young female staffer for Cornish came out and traded snipes with Sue Fust. Good for her.

I chatted up Heather, but Rebecca was nowhere to be seen. Has she moved onto new things?

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:16 pm 
The Man

chunkstyle wrote:
They had about 32 "lie-ers", and not many more. One was an infiltrator,who pulled out a sign reading "I'd be alive if I had my gun!"

Wonderful! I bet Heather blew a fuse.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
chunkstyle wrote:
They had about 32 "lie-ers", and not many more. One was an infiltrator,who pulled out a sign reading "I'd be alive if I had my gun!"

Wonderful! I bet Heather blew a fuse.

I hope someone took a picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
One was an infiltrator,who pulled out a sign reading "I'd be alive if I had my gun!"

Do you have any idea who this person was so we can give them the congratulations due?

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:28 pm 
The Man

chunkstyle wrote:
I chatted up Heather, but Rebecca was nowhere to be seen. Has she moved onto new things?
She's been out of it for awhile; I don't know why, although the frustration of constant defeat and humiliation may have had a little to do with it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

I just watched a little segment on the demonstration on the Capital steps on channel 11. They showed several women in black with red scarves laying down on the steps. Nothing mentioned or shown about those counter demonstrating.

There was one "odd" guy in the line. He had on a blue sweat shirt and Twins cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:29 pm 
Wise Elder

They could not get the necessary 32 "bodies" for their demonstration.

They had 30 adults (which I counted), 1 coerced child (can't be counted) and 1 of "our" guys with a sign on his chest stating "If I had a gun, I'd be alive."

No one inside the Capital, politician, lobbyist, or newsperson, even knew they were there. It was the most pathetic "demonstration" I've ever seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

It'll look good in the Grant Report to Joyce Foundation, telling them how they spent the money.

I briefly looked in on a "press conference" the other day, it went on for 2 hours. The conference was called by a major environmental organization, whcih gets grant money similar to CSM, (and from some of the same sources!)

Nobody from the press was there, but they hired a professional to video tape it, and interviewed each other, in a rented conference room, complete with delicious food, paid by this year's grant monies.

The ONLY people who attended who were NOT PAID by the organization that had the conference were guests paid by ANOTHER non-profit grant getter/receiver, who will surely report this important work, and their travel expenses to their money supplier. The only thing the "press conference" pictures will be used for is to apply for next year's grant for money to repeat this next year.

The "lie in" sounds like a similar shenanigan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
It'll look good in the Grant Report to Joyce Foundation, telling them how they spent the money.

I briefly looked in on a "press conference" the other day, it went on for 2 hours. The conference was called by a major environmental organization, whcih gets grant money similar to CSM, (and from some of the same sources!)

Nobody from the press was there, but they hired a professional to video tape it, and interviewed each other, in a rented conference room, complete with delicious food, paid by this year's grant monies.

The ONLY people who attended who were NOT PAID by the organization that had the conference were guests paid by ANOTHER non-profit grant getter/receiver, who will surely report this important work, and their travel expenses to their money supplier. The only thing the "press conference" pictures will be used for is to apply for next year's grant for money to repeat this next year.

The "lie in" sounds like a similar shenanigan.

That was exactly my impression. Thanks for expressing it. There were a few actual relatives of victims in amongst them, but I'm betting most of the "lie-ers" were other paid non-profit staff.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

No big surprise that Nick Coleman had to weigh in...

http://www.startribune.com/local/17833524.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:22 pm 

I liked these two responses the best

Quote:
So can we attend also and stand over each one of the bodies dressed in black with a sign that reads -

"A LICENSED PERMIT HOLDER COULD HAVE SAVED THIS LIFE"

and

Quote:
Sign up as an attendee, then refuse to lie down. Instead take your cover garment off and loadly proclaim - I AM PREPARED - THEREFORE I AM NOT DEAD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:44 am 
Wise Elder

Waving the Bloody Shirt: One of the least attractive features of the
anti-gun movement and its cheerleaders in the press is their ghoulish
exploitation of murder to advance their own political ends. Amanda
Ripley of Time is using the Virginia Tech dead as a platform upon which
to stand and repeat her tired argument for truncating Americans' Second
Amendment rights. It's an altogether unimpressive performance from the
not-especially-talented Miss Ripley, and the worst of it is trotting out
the myth that a magical "loophole" exempts firearms sales at gun shows
from background checks and other restrictions...

http://media.nationalreview.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:36 am 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
Waving the Bloody Shirt: One of the least attractive features of the
anti-gun movement and its cheerleaders in the press is their ghoulish
exploitation of murder to advance their own political ends. Amanda
Ripley of Time is using the Virginia Tech dead as a platform upon which
to stand and repeat her tired argument for truncating Americans' Second
Amendment rights. It's an altogether unimpressive performance from the
not-especially-talented Miss Ripley, and the worst of it is trotting out
the myth that a magical "loophole" exempts firearms sales at gun shows
from background checks and other restrictions...

http://media.nationalreview.com/

We can also "wave the bloody shirt"...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.