Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 OBAMA 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:49 pm 

sigman wrote:
lundo,

Sorry, but I am not going to waste my time doing an in depth report on any anti-gun candidate. It sounds like you are trying to rationalize voting for an anti-gun candidate, something I will not do.

I think I clearly stated I'm not a one issue voter and I think the possible re-instatement of the asinine 94 ban is FAR from being a high priority issue. This whole thread looks people trying to justify hating Obama due his stance on one issue. Not to mention it doesn't look like banning guns is a high priority issue for him. it looks more like he is misinformed on the topic of assault weapons like many other people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

They're ALL anti-gun. And NONE of them care too much about individual rights either. But on the latter score, they're probably all better than the BushCheney regime.

It won't help to "vote" guns on the presidency. Basically we are free to vote for any of them on other issues, because the guns issue is not personally important for any of them. It's just politics. Any one of them would promise to either confiscate all the guns or else have the government give us free guns if that would elect them.

The "guns" isssue just needs to be mentioned at every turn, with every candidate, of every party, until it goes away. More and more people are thinking and realizing that controlling "guns" is not effective, just keep the message up.

I'm more worried about health care. If nothing changes the medical and health insurance insdustry will be half the GNP in about 8 years. That'll wreck our our country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:04 am 
Longtime Regular

First of all B. Hussein Obama is not "Misinformed" he's wrong. Misinformed is a BS phrase used whenever a political candidate blows it. So tell me lundo, what does B Hussein Obama have to offer me? I'm a middle class white guy who knows that the "unity" line is just that, a line, a sales pitch, a far left politically correct phrase that means nothing and several things at the same time. What's in it for me to vote for an inexperienced snake oil salesman who's pastor and wife truly hate this country. Why should I vote for Hillary? She's a documented liar and thief and I'm quit sure a criminal. John Mccain is a fading politician who's making his last run at immortality.

Do I hate B.H.O.? Absolutely. I detest him and everything he stands for. Hillary is beneath contempt, however she is managing to self destruct now and in my opinion is no longer a threat. John McCain is someone that I just can't bring myself to respect or trust for that matter. So again I ask, What's in it for me if I vote for anyone of them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:16 am 
Longtime Regular

gunflint wrote:
First of all B. Hussein Obama is not "Misinformed" he's wrong. Misinformed is a BS phrase used whenever a political candidate blows it. So tell me lundo, what does B Hussein Obama have to offer me? I'm a middle class white guy who knows that the "unity" line is just that, a line, a sales pitch, a far left politically correct phrase that means nothing and several things at the same time. What's in it for me to vote for an inexperienced snake oil salesman who's pastor and wife truly hate this country. Why should I vote for Hillary? She's a documented liar and thief and I'm quit sure a criminal. John Mccain is a fading politician who's making his last run at immortality.

Do I hate B.H.O.? Absolutely. I detest him and everything he stands for. Hillary is beneath contempt, however she is managing to self destruct now and in my opinion is no longer a threat. John McCain is someone that I just can't bring myself to respect or trust for that matter. So again I ask, What's in it for me if I vote for anyone of them?

I intend to either write in a presidential vote (if Ron Paul is not on the Ballot) If Dr. Paul is on the Ballot (as an independant), I'm still voting for the lessor of 3 evils, but I would rather have the stuff he stands for that I don't care for then what the other offer. There is an added bonus of sending a strong message to the GOP.

But definatly go to VOTE - If we can regain control of the House, most anything can be stopped (cept liberal justices)

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
Any one of them would promise to either confiscate all the guns or else have the government give us free guns if that would elect them.

Agreed!
Quote:
Candidate Kang: Abortions for all!
Audience: BOO!
Kang: Okay... Abortions for none!
Kang: Hmmnn... Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!
Audience: YAAY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:56 am 
Longtime Regular

I think Dick and gunflint pretty well summed up my thoughts. I can't bring myself to not vote (I've always said that if you don't vote, you can't bitch, but it's a rotten choice all around.

I've been told by some Obama supporters to take a closer look at Obama's stance on the issues. I did. I see a pile of feel-good election year mumbo-jumbo that we have no chance of funding. His main agenda points will never pass, meaning he'll fall right back into his voting record. Even if his initiatives would pass, how the hell would we fund them? Tax everyone some more?

Hillary terrifies me, and McCain is a shell of the man he was 8 years ago. :?

-Mark

Last edited by mrokern on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:57 am 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Candidate Kang: Abortions for all!
Kang: Okay... Abortions for none!
Kang: Hmmnn... Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!
Audience: YAAY!!!

Remember the one where the planet disarmed and they took over?

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:26 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Remember the one where the planet disarmed and they took over?

The simpsons is such a masterpiece!

Quote:
KANG: That Board with the nail in it may have defeated us. But the humans won’t stop there. They’ll make bigger boards and bigger nails. Soon they will make a board with a nail so big it will destroy them all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:34 am 

One can be misinformed and wrong. In fact the two usually go together. But I'll refer back to my point of that is hardly the most important issue right now.

I have run into lots of people who are afraid of AR/AK's simply due to ignorance. I have a friend who up until recently was very much against AR's.

Here's a little background. We have been friends since we were about 8 years old. We grew up on farms only a couple miles away from each other. One of our favorite activities was shooting. I had an old .22LR bolt action rifle (didn't even have a manufacturer on it) and he had a Ruger 10/22. We would fire thousands of rounds through these guns as kids. After catching a ride into town with one of our parents we would stand outside Pamida trying to get people to buy .22LR for us.

Now later after collage my friend purchased a house and several friends rented rooms from him to help pay for it. So we had this little bachelor house we lived in. This is where I really got into pistol shooting. One of our roommates was a police officer and had a glock and a beretta. My friend had a Benelli 12 Gauge shotgun. I purchased a Beretta 96. We would all go out shooting and have a good time.

It was around this time that I thought about purchasing a AR15 of some sort. I tend to research things to death when I get interested in them. How it works, it's history, it's capabilities, it's legalities. I became a little AR15 historian. During this time I was surprised when my friend told me that he would NEVER allow an AR15 into his house! This is the guy who has fired thousands of rounds right next to me and had a 12 gauge street cannon in the closet a few feet away from us.

I tried to explain but he wouldn't hear it. Never got through to him. Cut to 9 years later and I just recently purchased my long sought after AR. I got a DPMS A-15 Carbine A2. I was chatting with my friend while WoW a couple weeks ago and told him about my purchase. He asked me a few questions and at some point he realized that this thing fires a high velocity .22 round. He had never realized. He had some sort of mental picture of a ultra death machine. He finally realized that it's just a rifle much like any other.

Wow, that was a long line a crap just to get to this point. The best thing we can do is try to educate people. Here's an idea my wife had. Lot's of people love those "will it blend" video's. Maybe people here should start trying to make some fun and informative youtube video's. Show what a hunting rifle or shotgun can do to a watermelon. Show how small a .223 is compared to a .308. To quote the founder of Faber College "Knowledge is good."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:43 am 

lundo wrote:
Wow, that was a long line a crap just to get to this point. The best thing we can do is try to educate people. Here's an idea my wife had. Lot's of people love those "will it blend" video's. Maybe people here should start trying to make some fun and informative youtube video's. Show what a hunting rifle or shotgun can do to a watermelon. Show how small a .223 is compared to a .308. To quote the founder of Faber College "Knowledge is good."

I think the point most are trying to make here is that neither Hillary nor Obama are "misinformed" on the issue of guns and gun rights. They understand completely the difference (or lack of) between various types of "black rifles", "hunting rifles" and "target rifles'. Obama was on the board of directors of the Joyce Foundation. He is very familiar with, and supportive of, the current strategy of the anti-gun factions.

If either Hillary or Obama are elected the first thing you will see after they pass a renewed "assault weapons" ban, will be your YouTube videos splashed across every major media outlet as they pursue the next step of stamping out "evil guns". To the gun grabbers, an exploding watermelon provides a graphic example why we need to take the "next logic step" in their noble pursuit of universal harmony.

Putting aside the single issue as you mentioned, looking at their voting records gives a clear indication that they are not at all about minimizing government and reducing the tax burden. They both clearly believe most Americans are not smart enough to know what's best for them and need the government to run their lives.

Obama in particular has the potential to be a VERY nasty surprise to most Americans if he is elected. For better or for worse, Hillary's shortcomings have been mostly plumbed over the past 12 years. Obama has not. He holds his ultimate agenda very close to his vest, as he must to get elected.

As other have pointed out, there is simply no good choice this time around. None of the candidates are about keeping government out of our lives. In the case of Hillary and Obama (and likely McCain as well), all will not hesitate to sign the most onerous anti-gun legislation that can be successfully passed by Congress. All will likely increase taxes, limit choice, and mandate "green" initiatives that will ultimately bankrupt the country.

In my opinion (like everything else posted above), our best hope is for a Legislative stalemate and pray for someone more promising in 2012.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:39 am 
Longtime Regular

lundo wrote:
Lot's of people love those "will it blend" video's. Maybe people here should start trying to make some fun and informative youtube video's.

The best youtube video ever uploaded is entitled "The Truth About Semi-Auto Firearms" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysf8x477c30) In it, Officer Leroy Pyle explains in a clear manner the differences between auto and semi auto weapons. I recomend that you show it to your friends and family. I have shown it to several people who were glad to know the facts they had known for so long were wrong.

(He is not accurate on "citizen's" access to full auto. And I wish he made it a point to show that the the three rifles are almost identical.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's not my job nor responsibility to educate people. The question remains. What will Obama do for me?

I will be voting this fall but in the Presidential race I will not be voting for any of the endorsed candidates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

gunflint wrote:
What will Obama do for me?

Change! :obamagasm:

(To what, who really knows, but imagine something similar to what Stalin did)

:evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:31 pm 

Sultan, that was a pretty good video. I was envisioning some more fun newer stuff. Combine people's love of blowing crap up with information. Like shooting some fluid filled container through several pieces of wood. demonstrating penetration of different rounds. something that illustrated stopping power.

Education is a way to get more of the public on your side. With more people on your side politicians will pander to you more often. If a frontal attack doesn't work try a flanking maneuver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:04 pm 
Journeyman Member

gunflint wrote:
I will be voting this fall but in the Presidential race I will not be voting for any of the endorsed candidates.

That'll show 'em!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.