Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sheriff Fletcher on the Front Page of the Trib today 
 Post subject: Sheriff Fletcher on the Front Page of the Trib today
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:23 pm 

He claims to be a republican, yet is clearly anti carry permit. And did I also read that there's a democratic group attempting to oust him?

Are there any carry permit people involved in this or who on here knows a little more about what's going on. I think that even though the article doesn't have much to do, if anything, with MPPA...having a different person in power there wouldn't hurt the Pro carry politics...

other thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Sheriff Fletcher on the Front Page of the Trib today
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:31 pm 
The Man

johnnyg08 wrote:
He claims to be a republican, yet is clearly anti carry permit. And did I also read that there's a democratic group attempting to oust him?

Are there any carry permit people involved in this or who on here knows a little more about what's going on. I think that even though the article doesn't have much to do, if anything, with MPPA...having a different person in power there wouldn't hurt the Pro carry politics...

other thoughts?
The cure -- having sheriffs appointed, rather than elected -- would, IMHO, be a lot worse than the disease. That said, the article is despicable.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think it was Winston Churchill, (whose family came from a rather Royalist tradition) who said that a five minute conversation with an average voter will cure somebody of democratic tendencies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

I, too, read the article and agree with Joel that the proposed cure is worse than the desease. The cure in a democracy is to vote the idiot out of office, not change how people get into office. I hope this does not pass, as much as I do not like the current sheriff.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:35 pm 

outside of this article, I still think the sheriff should not be an elected position...too much power with very few checks and balances for an elected officials position...especially in your smaller counties. I'm not saying all sheriff's are bad because they're elected...that's completely false...but I think the position, regardless of county, has too much power for an elected official position...the practice is outgrown...however, some might say that having an elected official in there at least allows for change...and I can definitely see that point too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

johnnyg08 wrote:
...but I think the position, regardless of county, has too much power for an elected official position...

As opposed to president or governor?

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:54 pm 

It seems to me that having the sheriff's powers bestowed on an unelected position would remove the only check that currently exists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

The trend to make formerly elected positions appointed ones is disturbing. I am outraged when my "elected government" turns around and says that I don't know what I'm doing as a voter and should rely on them to find a qualified candidate to fill a niche job.

How many of you out there still elect your county treasurer and auditor? my county has held its last election for auditor. We were told that the job is "too specialized" and the office should be run by an appointed professional.

Why not an elected professional?

Any time the government wants to eliminate your right to vote, you too should be royally p*ssed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:41 pm 

princewally wrote:
johnnyg08 wrote:
...but I think the position, regardless of county, has too much power for an elected official position...

As opposed to president or governor?

a local law enforcement officer has a lot more power locally than the president...I see your point, but for me...for the most part, whomever is president isn't going to make much of a difference to me...ever.

But if you have a crooked sheriff in your county...rest assured he/she could make your life pretty miserable rather quickly. I do see both sides of the issue though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:42 pm 

Suited wrote:
It seems to me that having the sheriff's powers bestowed on an unelected position would remove the only check that currently exists.

very solid point. thanks for the post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:54 pm 
Wise Elder

Carry permit holders and other gun owners should OPPOSE appointed Sheriffs.

Look at how well the APPOINTED police chiefs did when they ran the carry permit system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

ALL people who believe that we should have a free society should oppose ALL appointments, wherever election is possible.

Democratic checks are the only thing that keep us from tyranny.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:09 pm 

interesting posts guys...I'm beginning to see this through a different lens...thank you for educating me.

Post subject: President??
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:07 pm 

"a local law enforcement officer has a lot more power locally than the president...I see your point, but for me...for the most part, whomever is president isn't going to make much of a difference to me...ever. "
By
johnnyg08

Wrong Johnny. Remember the importance of SCOTUS appointments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:24 am 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
Carry permit holders and other gun owners should OPPOSE appointed Sheriffs.

Look at how well the APPOINTED police chiefs did when they ran the carry permit system.

And if you want living breathing proof, just look at Chaska's General/Captain Bling

Need I say more

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.