Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Supressors in MN 
 Post subject: Supressors in MN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

There seems to be an effort brewing over on the arfcom hometown forum to get supressors legalized in Minnesota, Link

I don't think this is something that would be impossible to accomplish. Does anyone have any suggestions on how best go go about making this happen? Does anyone see any negative issues with doing this? Does anyone want to help?

AR15 manufacturer, CMMG, recently helped get them legalized in MO. Would this angle play out well here in MN?
CMMG Company Rep wrote:
On #4 above, the economic development angle, it worked very well for us as we are in a depressed region in our state and according to Eco-Devo figures, 10 new jobs in my area are equal to 100 new jobs in St. Louis. JOBS GET ATTENTION. Statewide, just from additional sales, not even manufacturing will increase personal. Having a company like DPMS being able to chase a large contract that includes suppressors and rifles is a great example. Here in MO, we couldn't even obtain a sample can. How would we be able to win a 50 or 5000 piece turnkey contract if it has to go through a sole-source provider?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:18 pm 
Journeyman Member

i think it would be great. i shoot out at my parents house alot and they live in a city with absolutly no gun ordances. its perfectly legal but every time the neihbors always call the cops on me. i always shoot in a safe direction. but i never fails i go shoot and then the cops show up. it would be nice to shoot and not have to waist my time and the local police time. i would be glad to help out, not to sure on how to go about getting them legal but if you need some help let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:31 pm 

This is one of the first things I looked up when we decided to move to MN and I was greatly disappointed that I couldn't use a suppressor there. We'll be there in less than 3 weeks, and while I think finding a job and getting unpacked should probably take precedent over political activism, I too would be quite willing to help out in any way I can in any effort to overturn this asinine law. Feel free to contact me via PM any time about this issue - I'd love to be a part of getting rid of illogical laws in my new home!

"It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

I like this idea. If it is practical or not is another issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:23 am 

with all the older shooters having hearing problems now, it seems to make sense to legalize them to help younger shooters prevent such hearing losses.

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:06 pm 
Wise Elder

It is odd but you can buy them by mail order in the UK and most of anti-gun Europe. They are advertised in all the hunting magazines. The courteous hunter tries not to disturb his neighbors.

Only the USA has noise-supressorphobia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Media's fault?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:14 pm 
Wise Elder

1930's gangstra-phobia. If Capone uses one, it must be bad.

The ban is part of the federal NFA (which DOES allow them) and the thought of them made Warren Spannus' DFL bladder leak so they are banned to all but police (who claim to need them to kill dogs).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
(who claim to need them to kill dogs).

That is what I need one for also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:07 pm 
On time out

I have one fear about suppressors, in that the do gooders decide that they are mandatory at some point. no hunting unless you have one, as its damaging to the kid's hearing. No shooting within a mile of residence because of the noise.

Believe me I want them, but I am realist enough that somewhere OSHA or someone will decide no shooting in an indoor range because it damages the staff hearing etc.

My father has one I bought him in florida, its wonderful for dispatching the various critters that forage around the garbage dumpsters and private homes down there. pop-CLINK clack. the slide working makes far more noise than the .22 does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
I have one fear about suppressors, in that the do gooders decide that they are mandatory at some point. no hunting unless you have one, as its damaging to the kid's hearing. No shooting within a mile of residence because of the noise.

There we go, a possible negative blowback. What is the possible likelyhood of mandatory supressors? Would it be a worthwile trade-off?

While reasonable, I don't see it as something that would come about right away. Additionally I think there would be a large lobby preventing the DNR from enacting such regulations. It is certainly not something I would trade for the ability to have a supressor. I'd be likely to investigate using a supressor while hunting deer with my shotgun, required or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:03 pm 
On time out

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
1911fan wrote:

There we go, a possible negative blowback. What is the possible likelyhood of mandatory supressors? Would it be a worthwile trade-off?

While reasonable, I don't see it as something that would come about right away. Additionally I think there would be a large lobby preventing the DNR from enacting such regulations. It is certainly not something I would trade for the ability to have a supressor. I'd be likely to investigate using a supressor while hunting deer with my shotgun, required or not.

For shot guns, the Metro barrel concept is proven and legal. Very quiet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:

The thought of adding an additional 24"+ to my shotgun almost makes me giggle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
1911fan wrote:

You really wanna giggle, imagine a matching mag tube extension. And the pintle mount you're gonna need... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:37 am 
Longtime Regular

White Horseradish wrote:
SultanOfBrunei wrote:
1911fan wrote:

You really wanna giggle, imagine a matching mag tube extension. And the pintle mount you're gonna need... :twisted:

Yes but a 20 round shotgun would be worth it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.