Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:30 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 reason number 1 never to use a smart carry style holster.... 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:19 pm 
Journeyman Member

The standard SmartCarry brand model that I have has at least a double layer of denim or denim-like material on the outward-facing half of the holster. It feels like there is another layer of material sandwiched between them, so that makes 3 layers.

Those 3 layers are thicker than any layers in my jeans near the holster.

I haul a Ruger P89 in the SmartCarry:

With my thumb on one side of the trigger guard and a finger on the other side, both pinching hard and pulling quite hard directly on the trigger, I can move the trigger slightly and get the hammer to lift at most 1mm. That's trying my darndest. The fabric would have to rip to go further -- anything pressed that hard into the fabric won't glide along it and pull the trigger simultaneously. I'm cheating a little to get this to happen, as I allow the gun to come up out of the holster slightly which loosens things up. It does not do this when I am crouching -- it is held very securely when crouching. If I try pulling the trigger from the top (jean) side only, I don't have any success.

If I try stuffing fabric or items into the trigger guard, the trigger barely moves and I cannot get the hammer to budge in the least. I would have to rip the triple layer fabric before the hammer would budge at all. Highly unlikely. I would be more worried about being impaled at that stage by whatever is piercing the fabric.

The P89 points past the jewels. I wear the entire gun below the belt and quite low. I have never had any issues with the safety disengaging partially or completely, probably because I am not pinching the safety with a belt.

Gravity keeps the gun in the holster nicely. While crouching, pressure from the belt/beltline on the butt of the gun keeps it pressed into the holster.

I've been Smart Carrying for several months now and I really like it. I think the extra $20-30 is worth it to get the real McCoy and avoid an ND. I really don't see how an incident like this could happen with a SmartCarry brand holster, at least with the gun I have. I don't want to be cocky, though -- let me know if you can imagine/demonstrate/document an exception (unloaded, hopefully).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:10 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Uh, yeah. That was the story that started this thread. :)

Incakola wrote:
Just read this one on an AD from a SmartCarry copy.... Makes me hurt...

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=393304

My Bad... using 2 forms at the same time.... :oops:

MNbasecamp.com - Minnesota Outdoors Community

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:04 am 
Longtime Regular

The knock-off sounded like a good deal, but the thinner fabric in front probably contributed to the AD. Price does not equal value.

Furthermore, the story illustrates that fit is crucial. A gun carried smart carry style should never slip out of that vertical position. If it does, it doesn't fit the holster.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.