Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 While wearing a suit, or other semi-formal attire 
 Post subject: While wearing a suit, or other semi-formal attire
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:36 pm 

I've begun to wear a suit more often to non-work activities. I can't carry while working.

I have a number of Galco belts and holsters, but nothing that I can wear with a suit--too functional/casual, or just the wrong color.

Does any carry regularly while wearing a suit? What are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:08 am 
Longtime Regular

When formal/semiformal attire cannot be avoided, I prefer my Rohrbaugh R9 in either a pocket holster or an ankle holster.

I carried at my GF's nieces wedding all day and not one person noticed/commented-in fact my GF was surprised when I disarmed at the end of the night.

"Couldn't tell, could ya?"

"Not at all."

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:22 am 
Longtime Regular

Pocket holders or a tuckable IWB.

For the later I like The Answer. This is the one that I tried one Hackathron rip from it and had to have one. There are others that a similar, for less money and and with less lead time and others will swear by them. I would email him and see what his lead time is.
http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answeriwbs.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:42 am 
Longtime Regular

It's an excuse to buy that 10mm Kimber you've been eyeing... Along with a nice IHL Shark Skin shoulder holster. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:43 am 
Longtime Regular

mnglocker wrote:
It's an excuse to buy that 10mm Kimber you've been eyeing... Along with a nice IHL Shark Skin shoulder holster. :twisted:

Wait... Maybe that's just me... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:42 am 
Longtime Regular

A suit coat is a top notch cover garment. It provides better (read: longer) cover than a vest. It's so ubiquitous as to go unnoticed. And, I think it looks better.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:52 am 
Longtime Regular

If you keep your coat on the whole time you can get away with anything.

If you have to take your coat off, then pocket, tuckable IWB or smartcarry.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:40 am 
Journeyman Member

Srigs pretty much said it all. A comment that you need to let your tailor in on your secret if you wear suits or sport jackets probably won’t hurt anything. I have coats adjusted for a shoulder holster because I occasionally use one; and trousers for IWB as well.

Additionally you can wear your shoulder holster under your shirt if you like. Or wear a sweater vest. You still have to adjust the coat but you can take it off if you need to. Leave one of the buttons undone under your tie. Of course, it won’t be too handy if you’re anal about ‘quick draw’ but sometimes concessions have to be made. If you’re anal about sartorial splendor, you can fix the shirt with a dummy button or two and Velcro.

Regards, Porkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:37 am 

I carry a G38; a pocket holster isn't really an option.

I was looking more for gunleather recommendations.

Galco, for example, makes several belts that are more similiar to dress belts than is their sport belt, which I already own. I also already have several Galco holsters of various models, but they are rather large compared to a Jacqui or belt slide type holster.

If anyone is using something along these lines, I'd like to know.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:57 am 
Journeyman Member

I have an H&K USPf that I routinely carry in my ‘Hidden Impact.’ Under a golf shirt, with the shirt tucked in. http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product ... mpact.html

Naturally under a suit coat or sport jacket there’s no issue at all, nor a need to tuck the shirt in over the gun. Unless you like the appendix carry position.

I do and I’ve been carrying my SIG 229 that way lately. In the same High Noon holster. Srigs is custom making me one for that style of carry and that pistol. It’s not going to be tuckable but it’s coming winter now and I don’t need tuckable in the winter anyway. The new holster is due in a couple of weeks so I’ll let the group know how it turns out.

I have a Rafter S belt, 1¼ inches wide in brown shark. It’s stylish and VERY strong. Looks like a dress belt. Holds up any thing I want to carry on my belt.

Regards, Porkie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:14 am 

I wear a suit fairly often and in many cases am in a position where I need to remove the coat - getting 'made' would mean my job so I wear a 5.11 tactical t-shirt. Not the easiest if you need your weapon quickly but better then being completely unarmed. On the up-side, I am much more aware of my surroundings when I am carrying with this shirt.

My Walther PPK in one pocket and an extra mag in the other - pretty comfortable too!

http://www.gearzoneproducts.com/index.a ... &ProdID=65

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:32 am 
On time out

I wear a shoulder holster, with a 6.45 para in it, or a baby glock.

My wife likes to go to shows, and she likes to go dressed up, so I wear a tux several times a year, NO one ever bothers me or worries about a guy in a tux or a really nice suit as carrying.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.