Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:11 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Motorcycle Carry? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:41 am 

Good stories and pics!

I bought a 1200 Sportster this spring and have just over 3k miles on it thus far (and won't likely add any more).

I've carried a couple different ways - Browning HP in a FrontLine leather IWB (metal belt clip) or a 4" 1911 in OWB belt slide. Neither have any retention but my jacket has a snug band at the waist, which rides below either pistol. The HP spare mag goes in my weak-side pocket. The 1911 mag sits in a weak-side belt carrier. Either pistol rides just behind my right hip.

I have a cheap Uncle Mike's shoulder rig but it's a bit of a pain to put on. I'll use it for longer rides next year, I think. It does make it harder to remove the jacket when it's warm out, not that I have a big hang-up about open carry...

And no, I haven't yet "gone down". Yet. As is said about tail-wheel airplane pilots: there are two groups of them - those that have ground-looped and those that will. I'm still among the latter, with the airplane and the bike.

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:25 pm 

Quote:
Molasses, My JR Atomic jacket is very similar to your Phoenix jacket, it just has perforated leather on the shoulders. I'm really glad to see that it worked and that you were able to walk away from that spill. I'm seriously going to consider the Phoenix pants. The waffle pattern burns that you mention; that was through the elbow pads?

Hey Dee. Sorry to take so long getting back to you on this. The holes in the jacket are just off to the sides of the elbow pads, but are only through the outer layer, not through the lining layer. The waffle pattern matched the finer hole spacing of the lining to a "T", so I'm thinking it was melted plastic from the outer mesh or just outright heat going through the lining's mesh and burning me. Still better than losing that skin down into meat plus however much more would've gone with it without the gear.

The last time I dumped a bike on the road was a quarter century before this...and I wasn't missing the experience at all!

I looked at the newer Phoenix jackets and was disappointed. Mine's an older one, like a 2.0, and gives the impression of being sturdier and the newer ones have design changes I don't like. Finally bought a TourTech mesh for a replacement, although I went with a larger size than I'm happy with just to accomodate the two liners that came with it. Only had it for about a week before stopping in at Aerostich in Duluth and finding a jacket for a two-piece Roadcrafter on their sale rack that fit. Feeling the love; it just plain feels like good gear and I've worn it through an afternoon of rain, including some heavy stuff that had me tootling along under 30mph simply because the visibility was so bad and couldn't've stayed any drier on the upper half if I'd've stopped and put on the raingear. To get this back on topic, the Roadcrafter has an easy-access zippered pocket on the right side of the chest with a vertical opening...I've really been considering rigging some sort of pocket holster to hold and position a carry gun in there, except it would require a left-handed draw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:40 pm 

I am too also looking for a good way to CCW while motorcycling. I just got a KelTec PF-9 and have a Ruger SP101 and various larger handguns 1911s and what not. This past season I purchased a Legendary USA made in USA leather "Enforcer" riding jacket. It has built in gun pockets made for a 1911 and the other side holds an extra clip. I have not try it out yrt but it may be worth a look. I am sure it will accomadate other full size to meduim sized semi autos too. There are vest out there made by Fox Creek and Legendary that have built in gun pockets as well.

If anyone has any opinions on good sucure and comfortable SP101 or Keltec PF-9 holsters for riding please chime in or send PM.
thanks Jim

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.