Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Why don't BGs use holsters? 
 Post subject: Why don't BGs use holsters?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:21 pm 

I've often heard the comment that bad guys don't use holsters. The Plaxico Burress matter leads me again to wonder why.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:42 pm 

I really don't think the majority do.

I've been asked, in a jokingly manner, "you aren't going to rob us are you? haha"

I replied "how many robbers use $130 holsters?"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Because if a "banger" gets caught with a holster on... one would assume they have a gun to go with the holster. This will lead to questions which will lead to arrest or detainment. Match the gun to the holster with GS residue and = conviction.

Much easier to ditch a gun not in a holster.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Because they never hold onto one gun long enough to bother with a holster that only fits only that one gun.

They also know exactly when they are going to use the gun. They don't spend their whole day carrying it around because they might need it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:28 am 

Dean what about "man purses" and fanny packs?? :roll: Besides that holster money would take away from the needed things in the BGs life, drugs, booze, bling, 21" wheels, 200.00 tennis shoes etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
Because if a "banger" gets caught with a holster on... one would assume they have a gun to go with the holster. This will lead to questions which will lead to arrest or detainment. Match the gun to the holster with GS residue and = conviction.

Much easier to ditch a gun not in a holster.

This brings up a question. I have worn my holster to the range, and after shooting, placed my gun back in the holster. I've often said to myself, "self, is this a smart thing to put your gun in the holster, and transfer GSR to the holster?" What are some comments on this one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:03 pm 

Personally I would assume that any gun related item would most likely have some GSR on it. (What is GSR anyway? It's not like smokeless is that odd of a chemical.) This relies upon the risky assumption that CSI is BS. And the assumption that if you are in a position that you are being tested you need a lawyer(who could call the GSR result BS in legalese) anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Don't know, but, I do know that after a hundred or so rounds the lasermax laser that sits just below the barrel, as the recoil rod, is really covered with, ahem, "soot", or as Grissom would put it GSR! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:43 pm 
On time out

I really don't care about GSR. Its widely known enough that I shoot regularly that I would think if it came to it, it would not be hard to find twenty or more people who have shot with me in the past month or so, easy to say if came from one of those journey's.

BG's also rarely are from the gun culture, where doing it right is a big deal, but they are from their own culture and they seem to think its faster to use a belt or pocket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Really I would hope that anyone that owns a gun would be expected to shoot said gun occasionally. Therefore residue would be expected. Now if for some reason it could be proven that you bought that gun that day, and then were brought up on charges, well then maybe it could be used against you. Normally I'd want to think you are ok if you have GSR in your holster.

But, hoping that a jury will exercise common sense may in theory be sort of risky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:13 pm 

It's tough to find a holster that positions the gun horizontally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:35 am 
Longtime Regular

Gonna throw in some ignorant speculations ... much of which has already been said.

(1) They steal a gun, they use it in a crime and they throw it away. The gun is disposable and doesn't have the same value that you or I might assign to it. Therefore the gun doesn't get pampered with a "holster".
(2) Holsters are no more a part of criminal culture than SAT Prep Tests, or annual charity grants. I'm sure they view them as an accessory for pussies.
(3) Hard to deny you just threw a gun out the car window when you have a holster on your belt.
(4) I'm guessing that gang bangers buy their ammo at WalMart - no holsters at Walmart.

As an aside - There was a story in the news today about a Mexican beauty queen who was caught with gang members in a car "full of guns" (looks like they only had about six guns - sheesh I've had double that on some hunting trips). They had the confiscated items laid out on the table for the press: Rifles, handguns, ammo, pagers, pocket knives ... guess what? No holsters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:46 am 

I read in a interview article with some rap artist awhile back and he was asked about guns, if he carried and about holsters. His response was something to the lines of "Don't only police have those?..." He was referring to the holster, not the gun.

I do not have the url as I didn't bookmark it, so it's hearsay, but... just one voice from the "crew"

:lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

The one -- one! -- time in six years I was hassled even a little for open carry, I was using a minimalist IWB that made it look a lot like the gun was simply tucked in my waistband. I'm willing to bet that that "holsterless" look precipitated the PSH that led to the call to the police.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:07 pm 

I am of the opinion that the bad guys are too cheap. A friend of mine in Wisconsin had spoken with a few police officers that noted that the cheapest FMJ ammo that can be had tends to end up in the cylinders and magazines of the guys they arrest with guns on them and criminal records. Hollow points just do not have a presence with them, and I would conclude that holsters and magazine or speedloader pouches do not either.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.