Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:54 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Belt clip alternatives for tuckable IWB holsters 
 Post subject: Belt clip alternatives for tuckable IWB holsters
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:10 pm 

It seems to me that the belt clip is an inherent giveaway with IWB holsters. While it has been pointed out in other threads that the vast majority of people won't notice, I wonder if a level of concealment commensurate with pocket holsters could not be achieved with a better system of belt/waistband attachment.

I'm imagining a system where two strips of Kydex are more or less permanently attached to the waistband of the pants to be worn with the holster: A narrow strip under the belt on the outside of the waistband, inside the belt loops, and a larger piece inside the waistband, attached to the strip through a hole cut in the fabric using screws. Alternatively the two pieces could be stitched together with the stitching going through the waistband. The larger inside piece would then attach to the holster using snaps or some other disconnectable fastner, taking the place of the clips.

Whether the holster is present or not, the strips attached to the pants would be out of the way and would not, I think, interfere with normal movement or washing. And when the holster is in use, it could be securely attached and tuckable without resorting to clips.

This ain't rocket science so I'm guessing someone has tried this. Anyone know who? See any problems with this approach?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

The problem is that waistbands aren't designed to carry weight.

Why not wear a second belt?

How I carry

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Look at v-clips.

They require a belt with velcro on the inside, but are near invisiable.

(not my picture, but very helpful.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:05 am 
Longtime Regular

I use v-clips daily. Works well for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

I just modified my Srigs holster's belt loop into a V-clip style velcro attachment and it works great. But the greatest part is that I found a nice sturdy belt in the clearance bin at Streicher's, that has a Velcro lining built in all the way around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:15 pm 

My theory was to get a standard clip and attach my cellphone holder to that and it looks like a cell phone clip. Since I haven't found a way to actually get a standard clip without buying a whole 'nother holster, it's kind of stalled in thought. Until I can get one, I won't know if it works or the phone interferes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:36 am 
Longtime Regular

what kind of standard clip? google up an image and I'll look through my bag of goodies and maybe Srigs will have something in his spares bin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:11 am 
Longtime Regular

MNXD9 wrote:
My theory was to get a standard clip and attach my cellphone holder to that and it looks like a cell phone clip...

Check out this thread, he just made what it sounds like you are describing. Srigs Latest and Greatest I have seen other ones that use a fake pager to hide the clip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:03 pm 

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, Looks really nice 8) I'll have to dig my tuckable holster out and see what exactly I'm looking for...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:31 pm 
Gun-Toting Liberal

MNXD9- I think I was working through some of the stuff your thinking about. "How can I attach what I already have, to what I have or need, to add to the concealment side of things." I hope I am not assuming too much from your earlier posts. Also, "I have to carry a phone and a pistol, why not carry them together?"

I worked through a few different ideas. Then I saw a rig that Srigs did with/for another guy that (if I remember right) used some velcro clips and tuckable designs. On top of that I read Srigs site that he's open to new ideas, etc. We talked about it on the phone, came up with a solution and, I just asked him to make it. And it turned out great.

A couple of things that made it easy to decide to buy a new rig. I didn't already have a holster. Its hard to find holsters that fit my gun. I really liked the idea of a face to face product purchase with the manufacturer (artist?- artist sounds a little strange, but you get the idea). Besides that its custom without being hundreds of bucks. Srigs is really affordable compared to the research I was doing on holsters. Really really damned affordable.

I have been wearing the "Latest and Greatest" for about a week and a half, and I have no complaints. In fact, I really like it. As far as I know, I haven't been "made".

indeed_mandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
MNXD9 wrote:
My theory was to get a standard clip and attach my cellphone holder to that and it looks like a cell phone clip...

Check out this thread, he just made what it sounds like you are describing. Srigs Latest and Greatest I have seen other ones that use a fake pager to hide the clip.

I'm planning to make one for myself.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:19 pm 

For me it turned out to be a lesser issue since my Wife picked up her gun gun, ( 642) works for pocket carry if I feel the need to be more discrete, but yeah I was thinking about this long ago when someone on here asked the question "what if someone spotted my holster clip" someone else replied that the rehearsed an quick and normal answer, it's my cell phone clip. Then I got around to your exact thinking, if I'm carrying, I'll have my cell phone, and so on.

Since then I've grown fond of my blackhawk holster for my xd, which isn't tuckable, but it's nice, and concealment is a lesser issue to me the more I carry. No doubt Srigs is making some nice holsters.

I still undecided if I want to go with the c-tac holster or what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have been making a bunch of XD holsters lately... I guess the plastic holsters they give out are not that great ;)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.