Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shoulder holsters: why? 
 Post subject: Shoulder holsters: why?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:41 pm 

So, let's see. They're expensive, they have to be worn with a suitcoat, you have to either pin them to your shirt or sew an extra button or they slide out of place, even then they won't quite stay in their spot, they flash worse than an OWB if your coat blows open, and sheeple might freak out that you're sweeping the area behind you.

And the benefit is...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

• They conceal better than hip holsters for some people, particularly some women.
  • They work very well for driving, where a belt holster may be less accessible.
  • Chicks dig the Don Johnson thing. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

<ul>
<li>They hide (ok well enough) under my Boy Scout Leader uniform.
<li>They don't interfer with the hip belt or the shoulder straps on a Large backpack
<li>They work if you have a construction tool belt on
<li>They don't bang on wood chairs causing folks to look at you when you sit down.
</ul>

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:35 pm 

Shoulder holsters is why they make Hawaiian shirts. Adding a back strap between the holster and mag carrier keeps them from falling out when you lean forward and makes for a smoother draw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:40 pm 

They keep your gun under control (and off the floor) when you're on the toilet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:52 pm 
Journeyman Member

They're nice for (bi)cycling when it's cold enough to wear a jacket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:31 am 
1911 tainted

Why not?

As a normal carry method, they would put you at a definite disadvantage in and up close, personal encounter that you wanted to survive. In special cases or to meet special carry requirements, as with a cross draw holster, they may be the only choice. But as a normal carry method, I would avoid them to increase your chances on having access to your firearm when you are in a fight for your life.

Now some may know that John Farnam regularly carries using a shoulder rig, yes he does. But he also carry's several weapons so he has options depending on his immediate needs and situation, especially in these situations when his shoulder holster has been neutralized or compromised by his attacker.

Personally I like to have every advantage, so I would stay away from a shoulder holster as an every day carry method.

MostlyHarmless wrote:
And the benefit is...?

The only benefit is that in some cases they may fit a special need and be the best option. Other than that, I think of them as a disadvantage.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:15 am 
On time out

They allow you to carry decent sized gun if your wardrobe selection does ni include a belt. Anything from a tux to bib overalls.

If you are above average size, they can allow you to sit more comfortably in confined seating like at the dome, the Ordway, or the like.

In the old days they did not allow your gun to "clank" on the metal armrests of airliners.

They allow you to draw more easily while in a vehicle.

If you are in the trades, they are less likely to be seen by others or homeowners when you have get on your knees or crawl in tight places.

If you have poor circulation in your legs. You do not have to wrench the pants belt as tight and your legs feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
They allow you to draw more easily while in a vehicle.

That's the one I was gonna say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

First, I'd like to point out that there are different kinds of shoulder holsters. Some ork better for certain situations than others.

There is a Bianchi rig that I really like using when I am working in my garage. It hols a J-framish revolver with the grip slightly down (not vertically pointing into your armpit like some others) This holster does a number of things others don't.

1. I am not going to accidentally fall or even lay down on it on the hard concrete. Doing that is at best severely uncomfortable and at worst painful. This allows me more freedom of movement on the floor/under the car.

2. It conceals great under a normal sweatshirt. Belt holsters need a bigger one. This keeps my highly observant elderly neighbor from asking questions.

3. It keeps the gun under clothes where it is not going to bang on a fender when I turn, not going to get greasy, and not going to catch on an air hose or extension cord. It might get greasy if I have to use it, but then I would have a whole host of much more significant problems. The only belt holster that could to this would be the old time cavalry style field holster with a flap.

Shoulder holsters in general are also good for people who carry things like knives, multitools or cellphones on their belts. They keep the Batman effect at bay and make it a lot more comfortable to sit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:22 pm 

I keep a completely rigged Miami Classic at hand for those times (like this very moment) when I am wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants. I can throw it on and carry out the trash, check to see if I locked the garage, watch the dog eat snow or what have you. Works fine in this limited application. I wear it often when working in the garage with a waist-length winter coat. This prevents the annoying tendency for short coats to hang up over OWB configurations.

Finally, I wear a shoulder holster when ice fishing - it just works well under my vest for a number of reasons.

Daily? Bianchi CarryLok OWB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:05 pm 

The Galco Miami Classic conceals very well under a waist-length jacket. It does a good job of supporting the weight of a full-size pistol and spare magazines. Shoulder holsters are easy to put on and take off. I've found mine very comfortable when driving, seated in a restaurant, or seated in a movie theater.

Proper fitting and adjustment is important. Otherwise, the rig slips and slides. Initially, proper adjustment may require time and effort. For me, once I found the right fit, it was worthwhile.

Post subject: No ride-up...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:43 pm 

Also, If you are bent over the hamdle bars of a sport bike it keeps the pistol concealed; no worries about the tail of your jacket riding up while you're on 394 and having some one hit 911.

Also more instinctive to access and deploy than something kept in the tankbag as you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

Hobie

Post subject: Re: No ride-up...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:58 pm 

Hobie wrote:
Also, If you are bent over the hamdle bars of a sport bike it keeps the pistol concealed; no worries about the tail of your jacket riding up while you're on 394 and having some one hit 911.

Also more instinctive to access and deploy than something kept in the tankbag as you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

Hobie

Ya.... motorcycling in general would be a good application for a shoulder rig. Not to mention when I'm having some lower back pain, it would take some of the "unbalanced" effect from my lower back.

Not counting these issues, I'd rather just carry on my waist.

MM

Post subject: Re: No ride-up...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:01 pm 
Journeyman Member

a911scanner wrote:
Hobie wrote:

Hobie

Ya.... motorcycling in general would be a good application for a shoulder rig. Not to mention when I'm having some lower back pain, it would take some of the "unbalanced" effect from my lower back.

Not counting these issues, I'd rather just carry on my waist.

MM

Carrying while I ride was one of the main reasons I got a shoulder rig for my XD. Of course, now that I have 20 inches of apehanger for handlebars my rig flaps in the breeze if I carry that way and draws unwanted attention. :shock:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.