Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:34 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Ankle Holster Reccomendation? 
 Post subject: Ankle Holster Reccomendation?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:36 pm 

I have a S&W air lite 5 shot revolver and would like to find a good ankle holster setup for it. Anyone have any good ideas?

Abraham Lincoln

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:20 am 
Longtime Regular

Of the people I know that 'carry' (have a P2C permit), there is NOT ONE that would recommend an 'ankle holster'.

Too much of a PITA to get to it if needed.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:13 am 
Journeyman Member

As a last resort option, I really like my Galco Ankle Glove for my 442. It gets a bit itchy after 8 hours, but much more comfortable than a Smart Carry for me.

Post subject: Re: Ankle Holster Reccomendation?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:01 am 
Longtime Regular

PoorSSJ wrote:
I have a S&W air lite 5 shot revolver and would like to find a good ankle holster setup for it. Anyone have any good ideas?

The best idea is, "Don't get one."

As permit holders, we run from trouble if we can, and we keep our heads up. An ankle holster requires that you come to a complete stop and put your head down to draw, and those are unsound tactics.

Unless an ankle holster happens to make it easy for you to grab the gun while driving, I'd recommend strongly against it. Have you considered a pocket holster?

Best,

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:16 am 

Hunter07 wrote:
Of the people I know that 'carry' (have a P2C permit), there is NOT ONE that would recommend an 'ankle holster'.

Too much of a PITA to get to it if needed.

I play pool leagues which sometimes brings me to bars that I feel a lot more comfortable carrying when I'm walking out to my car at the end of the night.
An ankle holster seems to be the best way I can think of to safely carry and still be able to conceal it. I'd try a pocket holster but don't like anything that big in my pockets when climbing all over a pool table.
I know they would be make it really awkward to get to the gun so I was thinking I could always transfer it to a coat pocket before walking out to my car.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Abraham Lincoln

Post subject: Re: Ankle Holster Reccomendation?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:19 am 
The Man

PoorSSJ wrote:
Well, the obvious -- ankle holsters are a good idea for somebody who won't need a gun quickly, but kinda sorta wants to have it on his/her person, and can't carry it anywhere else -- the gold standard is, I think, the Ken Null.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:50 am 
Journeyman Member

Ankle holsters have their use, IMO. They're great if you feel the need to carry a second gun, and if you're wearing something dressy and couldn't otherwise carry (a gun that'll take a few seconds to present is better than no gun at all).

You'll be able to see it plain as day, if you know what you're looking for, but after you ankle carry a few times, you'll realize that nobody is looking ;-)

I have a Bianchi Ranger Triad that I use with my G26, and I think it's great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:57 am 

I have a holster sold under the brand name "Renegade" that worked pretty well for me. I can't tell you who made it, but it was made out of stretchable neoprene and had a sheepskin lining. I carried by Airweight in it and it worked great. I should mention that I only used this for a backup gun, and when better options became availble, I stopped using it.

I'd strongly suggest giving the pocket carry a try - with the right kind of pants (5.11s are great and look just like normal cargo pants) the gun is no more difficult to carry than your wallet, and way more accessible.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.