Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Bianchi Carrylok vs Paddlelok vs Evader? 
 Post subject: Bianchi Carrylok vs Paddlelok vs Evader?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

The time has come to pick up a daily holster for my new Glock 19. Life is interesting as a lefty...selection is more limited, but courtesy of Streichers I've had good luck to date.

I've narrowed it down to the three models listed in the subject, and am looking for opinions...

I have a Carrylok for my Beretta 92 and love it. Concealment is great. That said, since the Glock will be EDC, there are now TWO main requirements:

1) Concealment. I need it to stay close to the body and have a higher ride. Concealment is critical to me for this gun. I'm a bigger guy, IWB is not comfortable. I also spend a lot of time in very nice clothes, and I'm not dropping a fortune replacing my wardrobe.

2) Ease of removal. This is why I'm second-guessing the Carrylok. I'd like something that could be easily removed and locked up, hence the Paddlelok and Evader thoughts.

Thoughts?

Thanks...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:34 pm 

I use the carrylok and I like the way it hugs your sidearm close. It's very comfortable for me. The lok is not hard to get use to. I think no matter what you buy, you need to practice with it to form muscle memory. Then there will be no issue with whatever you choose.
I will say I don't like the leather squeak when wearing a leather belt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

mnmike59 wrote:
I use the carrylok and I like the way it hugs your sidearm close. It's very comfortable for me. The lok is not hard to get use to. I think no matter what you buy, you need to practice with it to form muscle memory. Then there will be no issue with whatever you choose.
I will say I don't like the leather squeak when wearing a leather belt.

That's another thing for me. With my Beretta and the Carrylok, the squeak doesn't matter...if I'm carrying that piece of steel, I don't care too much who knows it. I'm entirely familiar with the holster...heck, I think part of it is shaped to the upper corner of my butt cheek. :lol:

In the case of the Glock as an EDC, squeak is not good...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

I use a carrylock with a Kimber Pro size as an EDC and find it comfortable, stable, and concealable under just about everythig I wear.

I wear a leather belt and do not get much squeak, a loittle talcum powder or soap will fix a persistant squeak.

Good luck, I am not a real fan of paddle holsters but if they work for you go for it. I would look at the snap on version of the holster.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Pro ... ModelID=84

It looks like Bratemans might have it in stock:

http://www.bratemans.com/Merchant2/merc ... gory_Code=

I have purchased from them in the past and they ship quickly and seem to have very competetive prices.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

jac714 wrote:
I use a carrylock with a Kimber Pro size as an EDC and find it comfortable, stable, and concealable under just about everythig I wear.

I wear a leather belt and do not get much squeak, a loittle talcum powder or soap will fix a persistant squeak.

Good luck, I am not a real fan of paddle holsters but if they work for you go for it. I would look at the snap on version of the holster.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Pro ... ModelID=84

Ah, I didn't know they made a snap version of it. That's interesting!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:

I like the snap type better than a paddle, feels more secure and more stable.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

jac714 wrote:
mrokern wrote:

I'm betting it would keep it closer to the body than a paddle as well...which is a bonus for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
jac714 wrote:
mrokern wrote:

I'm betting it would keep it closer to the body than a paddle as well...which is a bonus for me.

The snap holster I have for my j-frame definitely is tighter to the body than the paddle I have for it.

-Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:33 am 
Longtime Regular

mnmike59 wrote:
I...you need to practice with it to form muscle memory. Then there will be no issue with whatever you choose.....

If only. Remember the effects of adrenaline. Pick something that requires little or no thought or practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
mnmike59 wrote:
I...you need to practice with it to form muscle memory. Then there will be no issue with whatever you choose.....

If only. Remember the effects of adrenaline. Pick something that requires little or no thought or practice.

Yup. The lock on these is a perfect match for my normal drawing motion. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:35 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
mnmike59 wrote:

Very true. I have thought about that. I use a different holster for comp than I do for carry. I am going to look into using one holster for both. It can only help me for both types of carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:12 am 

I've been a big fan of CarryLoks for awhile and wear one daily with my 24/7 Pro Compact 9mm, including slight modifications to accommodate my Armalaser RSS system. I have several CarryLok models for other guns, but have not used the PaddleLok version yet. I suspect it's as efficient as other paddle setups. I think the locking mechanism is as about as intuitive as they come and I don't even realize I'm using it anymore. I have very few situations where retention from BG's is an issue anymore, but I am around water extensively and hate to be diving for my weapons. I have yet to lose a gun from a CarryLok. (Lost track of the number of pagers though...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:25 am 
Longtime Regular

Long Ago LEO wrote:
I've been a big fan of CarryLoks for awhile and wear one daily with my 24/7 Pro Compact 9mm, including slight modifications to accommodate my Armalaser RSS system. I have several CarryLok models for other guns, but have not used the PaddleLok version yet. I suspect it's as efficient as other paddle setups. I think the locking mechanism is as about as intuitive as they come and I don't even realize I'm using it anymore. I have very few situations where retention from BG's is an issue anymore, but I am around water extensively and hate to be diving for my weapons. I have yet to lose a gun from a CarryLok. (Lost track of the number of pagers though...)

If it wasn't for the quick-off desire, I'd add another CarryLok to the collection. Like I said, I love the one I have for the Beretta...but there are times I need it ALL off my belt in short order.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:05 am 
Longtime Regular

After spending some serious time at Streichers (and kudos to the staff, they were great to deal with as always), my first one is a Safariland 328. Nope, it's not an easily removable holster, but it's so slim and high-ride that it doesn't really matter. Even my wife can't tell. :D

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.