Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:49 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Mag-jic holsters - anybody know about them? 
 Post subject: Mag-jic holsters - anybody know about them?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Today at the gun show I came across these guys:

Pistol Packaging, Inc.

The concept is interesting, but I wonder if anyone has used them and how well they work. Mainly, I wonder if the magnet is really strong enough to hold iit on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:05 am 
Longtime Regular

I think that the holster is hinged at the top, so the magnet just keeps it from flapping around.

That said, magnetic force falls off REALLY quickly as distances increase. Rare earth magnets are mighty strong, but the thickness of the leather and the other leather and your pants might add up to a real loss in stickitude.

If anyone gets one, make sure and let us know... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:30 am 
Journeyman Member

From the ad: "The Mag-Jic Holster is a body hugging, compact, holster with a built-in channel sight."

I have no idea what the channel sight might be. Any ideas?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:34 am 

Quote:
From the ad: "The Mag-Jic Holster is a body hugging, compact, holster with a built-in channel sight."

I have no idea what the channel sight might be. Any ideas?

I think they might mean a sight channel, i.e., a groove for the front sight to slide in, as you holster/unholster your sidearm.

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject: Re: Mag-jic holsters - anybody know about them?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:28 am 
Longtime Regular

White Horseradish wrote:
The concept is interesting, but I wonder if anyone has used them and how well they work. Mainly, I wonder if the magnet is really strong enough to hold iit on.

I wonder if it is strong enough to erase your credit cards?.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:54 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Looks like another holster gone wrong....

Man - too many gimmicks out there.

I invented a holster - all that you need to do is use a roll of duct tape and custom mold it to your gun using nonstick cooking spray on the gun and tape that sucker to your leg - available in tactical black - just add 100% to the price..... Conforms to the body and removes hair as well -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

I saw one at the show yesterday. Here's my report:

The holster is made from a single piece of leather, folded in three. Looking at if from behind the wearer, it looks like the letter "N".

The left leg of the N is inside the pants. The top left fold drapes over the belt line. The middle part is the back of the holster and the right leg is the fron face of the holster.

The inside flap has a large, flat (roughtly the size and shape of a quarter) rare earth magnet. The back of the holster has a steel plate that lines up woth the magnet.

The leather fold holds the weight of the gun. The magnet just snugs the bottom of the holster to the side of your body.

If you've never played with a neodymium, you can't imagine how string these "supermagnets" are. See http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/neodemo.html for some demos.

I think that the concept is sound, but I'm not sure of the need.

The leather is of nice quality, but you need to wet-mold it yourself to fit your own gun. That makes the $35 price a little high for my taste. A holster this simple, and not even finished, should go for a little less, or come ready to use.

Quote:

Abso-freakin'-lutely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

The mold-it yourself part initially looked attractive because I want a belt holster for my Makarov and there just aren't that many ready-made holsters for it. Then I came to about the same conclusion - if I'm going to do the work I should pay less.

I think I'm going to get some leather and try and make one myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
If you've never played with a neodymium, you can't imagine how string these "supermagnets" are. See http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/neodemo.html for some demos.

I don't wear a tinfoil hat, but I am somewhat paranoid about carrying a magnet that strong close to my body all day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Quote:

Abso-freakin'-lutely.

It was a rhetorical question! :)

Seriously folks. I would not let one of these near my credit card, mechanical watch, etc.

On the other hand. If the bathroom stall you're sitting in has metal walls, you would have another option for storing your handgun. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Or, if you've got a metal plate in your head, you could carry underneath your hat.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.