Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Retention Strap or No retention strap? 
 Post subject: Retention Strap or No retention strap?
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:41 pm 

From a tactical standpoint, I was wondering how others feel about retention straps on their holsters. While I think they would be a good idea if one were open carrying, they seem to me to be a unnecessary burden to one who is concealing, since an unexposed handgun is unlikely to be seized by another. Am I missing something in the equation? What say ye ...?

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Post subject: Re: Retention Strap or No retention strap?
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Harland wrote:
From a tactical standpoint, I was wondering how others feel about retention straps on their holsters. While I think they would be a good idea if one were open carrying, they seem to me to be a unnecessary burden to one who is concealing, since an unexposed handgun is unlikely to be seized by another. Am I missing something in the equation? What say ye ...?

Captain William Ewart Fairbairn and Captain Eric Anthony Sykes wrote:
We have an inveterate dislike of the profusion of safety devices with which all automatic pistols are regularly equipped. We believe them to be the cause of more accidents than anything else. There are too many instances on record of men being shot by accident either because the safety-catch was in the firing position when it ought not to have been or because it was in the safe position when that was the last thing to be desired. It is better, we think, to make the pistol permanently "unsafe" and then to devise such methods of handling it that there will be no accidents.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:58 pm 

Ix-nay the retention-ay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

We talked about using a retention strap under special circumstances like when riding a motorcycle. The general consensus seemed to be that it may be beneficial if you went down.

See this thread:
http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=10889

However, if you have a properly fitted holster, I don't think its necessary. For example, my Srigs IWB holds the gun well enough that it will not fall out, even if I'm pretty active. I can hold the holster upside down and shake it and the gun, an all steel one in this case, will not budge. When I go to draw it however, it comes right out.

If you buy a generic holster that is meant to fit many different brands, there is no way it can hold your gun tightly and a retention strap may be a must. The key is having a properly fitted holster for your gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Anything that I will use for OC has some sort of retention, whether it be a button (Serpa and CarryLok) or strap (Safariland).

If it's for IWB / always concealed, I'm not worried about retention.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:08 pm 

As soon as my new permit gets approved, I'll be packin' a Makarov in a Don Hume JIT. It rides quite high and seems to have good retention, (although my experience will holsters is limited). There doesn't seem to be a wide variety of choices for a Mak unfortunately but the JIT was inexpensive and I have a pretty good feeling about it.

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Anything that I will use for OC has some sort of retention

Same here and also if I'm using a OWB holster.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:40 am 
1911 tainted

I usually carry IWB with no retention and play games with OWB holsters that have no retention. If I am working in the woods, riding a 4 wheeler, horseback riding, etc., in those cases I carry OWB with a retention strap of some sort to make sure everything stays put.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

I ride my horses with my The Slide (non-retention snap) with no problems. I vote for no retention strap.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:12 am 

I've carried both ways. When I used a S&W 4506, my holster for it had a snap-equipped retention strap. There was nothing special required to draw, nor did it slow drawing the pistol. When the hand goes to the grip, your thumb pushes the snap apart on its way. It's a perfectly natural action.

These days, I carry a 1911 or BHP in a simple 'belt slide' holster with no strap. My "Snap" holster for Erik also has no retention beyond friction.

I'm perfectly comfortable either way. The retention strap is, I think, more for prevention of the sidearm falling out than preventing someone from snatching it. The Serpa is a different story.

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.