Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 I've been bitten by the bug 
 Post subject: I've been bitten by the bug
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:06 am 

I was told by several folks that "you'll never just own one holster for any particular gun that you own". It has almost become addictive to actively look for different styles of holsters (almost as addictive as buying dvds)! :shock: Maybe this is just one of the guy versions of women having shoes for all occasions to go with every outfit. Either way, I'm trying not to let my window shopping exceed my pocket book. :)
None the less, is this a common thing here? When you get a new holster are you thinking about another style days later? What are some of you favorites and most frivolous?

Also, if there are any Wapsi Square fans that happen across this thread, I have even stuck one of those coveted, sexy Galcos up on my wish list that would be a trade for a hand-drawn thank you card. :D

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject: Re: I've been bitten by the bug
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:41 am 
Longtime Regular

pablobear wrote:
I was told by several folks that "you'll never just own one holster for any particular gun that you own". It has almost become addictive to actively look for different styles of holsters (almost as addictive as buying dvds)! :shock: Maybe this is just one of the guy versions of women having shoes for all occasions to go with every outfit. Either way, I'm trying not to let my window shopping exceed my pocket book. :)
None the less, is this a common thing here? When you get a new holster are you thinking about another style days later? What are some of you favorites and most frivolous?

Also, if there are any Wapsi Square fans that happen across this thread, I have even stuck one of those coveted, sexy Galcos up on my wish list that would be a trade for a hand-drawn thank you card. :D

What was the Robin Williams line..?

(as the Fairy Godfather) "Does this pistol make my ass look big?"

Yes, they become accessories. I have more trouble deciding which gun and which holster than I do deciding which shirt or which pants. Nice problem to have. :mrgreen:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:49 am 
Longtime Regular

I can appreciate the sentiment. That being said, I think there's a strong case to be made for continuity/familiarity. I like the feeling of having the exact same setup (same gun, or at least the same platform/manual of arms, same holster, same position, etc.) all the time. Drawing can then go into rote memory or muscle memory. I don't have to think about my draw (which gun do I have today? which rig is it in? How can I get to it under my purse and blouse?) should I ever need it. The only thing I ever change is IWB for daily carry and range practice, OWB for competition and classes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 am 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
I can appreciate the sentiment. That being said, I think there's a strong case to be made for continuity/familiarity. I like the feeling of having the exact same setup (same gun, or at least the same platform/manual of arms, same holster, same position, etc.) all the time. Drawing can then go into rote memory or muscle memory. I don't have to think about my draw (which gun do I have today? which rig is it in? How can I get to it under my purse and blouse?) should I ever need it. The only thing I ever change is IWB for daily carry and range practice, OWB for competition and classes.

Sure, all excellent points.

I have actually practiced with each of my carry methods (private property helps to be able to do that), and am comfortable, but I do have to be aware of what I'm carrying. I've made a couple of concessions with that in mind.

With the exception of pocket carry, all of my carry guns reside at just about the same point on my body. It's the same reach each time. My thumb and forefinger move the same way each time. If the holster isn't a SERPA, no harm done, I'm making the correct placement for my index finger anyways. If it is, then the button is pressed with that movement.

My thumb also sweeps through the same place each time as I point...if I have a 1911 on me, that is the safety getting flipped. On my Glock, the thumb just keeps going through. THAT took some practice, as my thumb wasn't trained to do the same thing each time.

I grip tightly enough that I'm not concerned about cocking the P7 (my preferred EDC). From there, it's the same as any other semi-auto.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Yikes! I shot one of those at a pistol class of Don's. The front-strap grip safety completely threw me off. D. (the gun's owner) seemed to love it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
Yikes! I shot one of those at a pistol class of Don's. The front-strap grip safety completely threw me off. D. (the gun's owner) seemed to love it.

Heh heh. It takes getting used to the first time. Once you realize that you don't need much pressure to keep it cocked, things are much easier.

4" fixed barrel, gas-delay system, will eject even if you pull the extractor out, and eats +p+ for breakfast...yeah, I like mine. :wink:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:17 pm 

I like leather alot - and nice grips too.

My next goal holster wise is a BBQ holster set for a full-size 1911 -- but I'm still planning what I want first :)
b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

pablobear wrote:
I was told by several folks that "you'll never just own one holster for any particular gun that you own".

Very true. I guess that's the reason I have two large suitcases crammed full of holsters. I have many more holsters than I have guns. I have many holsters for guns I no longer have..... :roll:

Horrible addiction and I still keep buying more, always hoping to find the perfect holster that will allow "Invisible" carry of large guns.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:31 pm 
In the time out chair

bstrawse wrote:
I like leather alot - and nice grips too.

My next goal holster wise is a BBQ holster set for a full-size 1911 -- but I'm still planning what I want first :)
b

Ya think something like this might work?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:43 pm 

Nice!

I've always been a fan of Tucker's more fancy stuff, like this one:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:07 am 
Longtime Regular

you're BOTH Evil. I have NO need for any of that stuff. I certainly can't afford it at the moment. but I WANT it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:51 am 

plblark wrote:
you're BOTH Evil. I have NO need for any of that stuff. I certainly can't afford it at the moment. but I WANT it!

I know, I can only hope to be a bad influence on you :)

There is soooo much nice leather out there to be had.

Now that my last set of fancy 1911 grips has arrived (pics coming this weekend), I can start seriously looking for some BBQ leather.. hehe
b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:18 am 

bensdad wrote:

I agree. Everything I carry is in an Alessi Talon clip. Except, on those rare occasions when I'm forced to wear a suit. Then it's an Alessi Guardian. Which I've practiced drawing from to the point where I'm almost as comfortable as with the IWB. Almost. Or as comfortable as one can get in a damn suit!

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:51 pm 
Journeyman Member

Yup - between my wife and I we have more holsters than guns and that's quite a few. I do restrict my carry to only three depending on the season and cloths. (pf-9 or LCP for deep cover and as back-up)
I like to carry my Glock-36 most and I'm looking for the right holster. Due to a severe case of Lymes decease in 1997 I have some minor permanent right shoulder joint damage that causes pain when I lift my arm as in drawing from a high right-hand holster so I'm most comfortable with carry/draw from the front left side - just a slight cant toward the right.
Does the SERPA adjust to this slight opposite angle?
I do have a nice leather paddle holster that adjusts straight up/down but I'd like a little cant.
Holsters are fun to try but it is best to keep a consistent position (height & cant) once you find the best for your body and arm length.
Thanks for any ideas.
GregB - Lindstrom

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

GABCO wrote:
I like to carry my Glock-36 most and I'm looking for the right holster. Due to a severe case of Lymes decease in 1997 I have some minor permanent right shoulder joint damage that causes pain when I lift my arm as in drawing from a high right-hand holster so I'm most comfortable with carry/draw from the front left side - just a slight cant toward the right.

Thanks for any ideas.
GregB - Lindstrom

FWIW,

Have you ever tried "appendix carry"? That would be at about "2 o'clock", with the holster in front of your hip, for strong side carry.

It works really well, for me. It's comfortable with the shorter barrelled Taurus I carry (3.25"), which is about the same size as your Glock. I don't have to lift my arm or stretch it to draw, either.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.