Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Holster for XD9 4" 
 Post subject: Holster for XD9 4"
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:12 pm 

I recently just ordered an XD9 4" and am looking for a good holster for it. I'm primarily looking for something OWB, but am interested in what types of holsters other people are using with the XD. (I'm really new to carrying).

Thanks All.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Holster for XD9 4"
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:25 am 

I didn't like the one included very much so I sold it. Tomorrow I have my galco middle of back holster and I will let you know on comfort. I'll post some pics too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:53 am 
Longtime Regular

There is a school of thought that strapping a piece of metal across your spine is unwise. Especially in winter with ice.
We all pay our money and make our on choices, but it's something to think on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:01 am 

The piece that you are referring to is attached to the spine. (obviously not directly)

Falling on ice is just as likely to break my spine with or without the piece.

The fact that you fall while stepping would lead me to believe that I would fall to one side or the other and not directly on the center of my back. (very limited experience falling on ice, it has happened once or twice)

If I am falling hard enough to break my back I would think that head trauma would be more likely in such a violent fall.

Being 27 and fairly athletic I guess I look at the type of holster differently than someone else.

:?:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:43 am 
Longtime Regular

cuylar wrote:
[...]
If I am falling hard enough to break my back I would think that head trauma would be more likely in such a violent fall.

I'm reminded of trying to break a board. it is much easier if you have a hard fulcrum that you bend it across. The other issue is that you don't have to "break" your back to do a LOT of damage.

Granted, it's a small percentage chance. May you never find out first hand.

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've got a XD45c (same 4" and just a millimeter thicker than the XD9s). I never even considered carrying it in the factory belt holster. I have a a custom IWB and OWB from sideguard holsters (the one shown in Srigs' website banner is actually mine in the OWB). I also have a Bianchi CarryLok OWB. And lastly a Blackhawk Serpa CQC.

I almost always carry with the Sideguard IWB.

I rarely wear big cover garments so I stay away from OWB even though it is more comfortable. The Srigs OWB is comfortable and draws well. I never got used to the draw on the CarryLok. So it just sits in my unused holster box (want to buy it from me?).

The Serpa is what I intend to use for any open carry I might ever do with the XD. I don't know how people conceal with the Blackhawk CQC holsters. But it seems to be a great open carry holster.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

cuylar wrote:
Wrong.

cuylar wrote:
The fact that you fall while stepping would lead me to believe that I would fall to one side or the other and not directly on the center of my back.

Wrong.

cuylar wrote:
Being 27 and fairly athletic I guess I look at the type of holster differently than someone else.

If you mean "with naive confidence," then, yes. You've been given good advice; ignore it at your peril.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:51 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Wrong.

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Wrong.

Andrew Rothman wrote:
If you mean "with naive confidence," then, yes. You've been given good advice; ignore it at your peril.

That does not give any information.

Have a great evening.

Last edited by cuylar on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

I should have been more verbose, but I called your information wrong because, well, it was.

For those not yet convinced, here's a little more detail:

Your lumbar spine is generally protected from traumatic injury by the curvature of your spine: that very vulnerable area is concave, and therefore protected from injury against a flat surface by that concavity and by a large cushion -- your gluteus maximus. Placing a hard object over the lumbar spine bridges that concavity and provides a mechanism to transmit an impact directly to the spine.

For more info, see "Ergonomics and Safety in Law Enforcement", Fabrice Czarnecki and Ira Janowitz, Clinics In Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Volume 3, Issue 3, Pages 399-417 (August 2003):

See also Adams's outline of fractures, including joint injuries,
David L. Hamblen, A. Hamish R. W. Simpson, John Crawford Adams (2007), p. 117:

Quote:
FRACTURES OF TRANSVERSE PROCESSES
These injuries are almost confined to the lumbar region. They are caused by direct violence such as a heavy blow or a fall against a hard object.

Or ask this officer.

Or these officers.

Sheesh. We're not making this stuff up.

That said, it's your spine, and your decision. I just don't want a casual reader to mistakenly believe that you were in any way correct.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have one of my The Slides ready to go for an XD 4".

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew:

THANK YOU for the cited, sourced explanation. Well done as usual.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:02 pm 

ree wrote:

The Serpa is what I intend to use for any open carry I might ever do with the XD. I don't know how people conceal with the Blackhawk CQC holsters. But it seems to be a great open carry holster.

Slight gut, and a 5.11 Covert Casual shirt 1 size too big. Dunno how well it's gonna work when I lose the gut, though.

Loose shirt, and if people see the bottom edge they just presume it's a cell phone/PDA holder these days. Heck, nobody really looks at me funny when I OC with it, either...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Andrew Rothman wrote:
cuylar wrote:
The fact that you fall while stepping would lead me to believe that I would fall to one side or the other and not directly on the center of my back.

Wrong.

Actually, he's probably right. I'd estimate there's about an 80% chance that someone falling on ice wouldn't land flat on his back, but somewhat twisted to one side or the other.

That's still 20% more risk than I'd prefer to take.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't know, maybe you can direct yourself a little when falling forward but I've seen a lot of people who lose traction with one foot, try to get traction with the other foot. Of course, on ice, traction doesn't exist so when both feet shoot out (to the front) from under you, you usually land on your butt. Momentum keeps you going and most people hit their heads. In the process, if you have anything in the small of your back, you are going to get a whack on the spine, in an area where the spine is curving. As Andrew pointed out, some police departments forbid the wearing of even a cuff case in that area.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:11 pm 

Someone recently started a similar thread, regarding a sub-compact XD. Read through it for some recommendations:

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13540

(Ironically, the same argument about carrying SOB took over that thread too)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.