Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:37 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Taurus 85 or other 2" J-Frame accessories 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tito Jackson wrote:
Aren't you happy with the Mikka pocket holster any more?

Quite the contrary. I ordered a Mika IWB and am going to order a square cut Pocket holster next week. The IWB should be nice. If it's anything like th epocket holster, it will be thinner than the standard IWB's I've seen. No one handed reholster but then the J-Frame doesn't really need it since I can stick it in my pocket.

I'm carrying my J-Frame IWB because eventually I'm going to a bit larger piece for carry and that's how I intend to conceal it. Kinda getting used to it. I figure I'll build confidence and etc carrying the smaller J-Frame and then the XD-9 won't be such a big step Logically I know it can be done. I've even tried it. Psychologically for my comfort and so as not to stick out by acting wierd or fidgeting with / fondling the gun/holster I'm working up to it.

That and it's nice to have options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
MNBud wrote:
J frame holsters,yea I got j frame holsters you are welcome to borrow if there are any you are interested in trying.I have a Bianchi 55L that is an owb belt slide with a top strap that goes behind the trigger guard.It is designed for a hammerless model such as a 640 or 642 Smith.I also have a Galco paddle that I'm really fond of as it has no retension strap but has a screw for setting the tension. I have an Uncle Mikes Kydex paddle that I carry the 640 in and I'm not sure I would carry a blued or my 642 in due to not knowing what the plastic would do to the finish, the 642 has a clear coat that might wear or maybe not. Lastly I have a Galco shoulder holster that is also designed for a hammerless J frame and the strap goes behind the trigger guard. The shoulder holster has a double strip pouch under your left arm with a securing strap for attaching to your belt. E- mail me or respond here if you have any interest in any of these. They are all right hand holsters
Bud
I may have an Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder rig somewhere in my holster closet also.

I like the looks of the 55L but it brings a question to mind. What about the uncovered hammer. Should I worry about that if the trigger guard is covered? Should I really worry about it at all? Is the hammer going to gouge me as I carry it? Looking at the 55L, neither the hammer nor the trigger are really covered so for now I'd be nervous about it and it would show. Maybe later I'll get more comfortable. (you know, cause the gun will jump out and shoot someone all on its own. Kidding aside, I'm just being incredibly covservative about safety since I'm new to public concealed carry)

The Galco Paddle sounds VERY interesting as does the Kydex. I tried the Kydex t Bill's North but would be interested in giving either paddle some more real life testing.

Thanks for your generous offer. Don't let me hog all of them though, pass the generosity around. :-)

The hammer is not an issue with either of the j frames I carry in the Bianchi as neither one has a hammer. As for the trigger being exposed,there is hardly enough room to get your finger into the trigger guard and if you did you would not be able to fire a double action revolver due to the distance you would have to pull the trigger.
I'll also include a picture of the Galco so you get an idea how a j frame fits it. this is a very secure paddle and it will not pull off a quality 1 3/4 belt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

MnBud: PM sent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:22 pm 

+1 on the Galco. I have an M85 that carrys very well in it. A good gun belt helps alot also!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:05 pm 

CraigJS wrote:
+1 on the Galco. I have an M85 that carrys very well in it. A good gun belt helps alot also!

Now if I would just get off my ass and get back to him, he could try out a Galco.

:wink:

(of course, it is 12:04 am and I have to go back to work at 0700.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:57 am 
Longtime Regular

MnBud loaned me the Galco Paddle shown above. It fits secure, has good retention, and doesn't work for me as well as I'd like. I'd like adjustable cant and am not comfortable yet with how far out there it seems to hang. Probably that's just me since no one has commented on it except at the range after I had unholstered from it. Perhaps the Uncle Mikle's kydex (which IS adjustable) will work out better. I think the cant makes it easier to get a hold of and brings the grip more in line with my body to print less.

I think the Galco Royal Guard Goalie is willing to loan will be a nice comparison. Inside the Waistband may make me more comfortable. We'll see.

Thanks again gentlemen for loaning out your stuff. I appreciate it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.