Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:19 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Best local holster sources? 
 Post subject: Best local holster sources?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:08 pm 

I've got a Sig 226 I'd like to get a holster for. Presently I have nothing to carry it with, and while I expect to carry my J-frame 99%+ of the time, should I ever decide I need the Sig by definition I'd really need it, so I'd better have a holster that works waiting in the drawer.

Is there a local shop that would have any kind of variety at all that I could test drive, or am I doomed to scrounge around on the internet, buying seven holsters I hate before I find one that works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:18 pm 
Go buy a cheapie at Gander Mountain and then shop around the internet for seven holsters that don't work. You can buy a fobus or uncle mikes kydex for $20-30, they generally don't conceal that well, but make a decent utility, keep-the-gun-on-my-belt kind of holster. This removes the sense of urgency we all get when trying to find new leather for our new iron.

Personally, my first call is to Gary Brommeland- his stuff takes a while (going on 6 months for a belt) but it's worth it, IMO.

A Holster library doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I use all the leather I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Koscielski's
Streichers (a national police supply company located in Golden Valley)
Uniforms Unlimited (another police supply, Minneapolis)
The Frontiersman (St. Louis Park)
Bill's Gun Shop (2 locations)
Gander Mountain has a limited selection

And hey, call me cheap, but the $12 nylon pancake belt slide (from Gander or Bill's, in the plastic bag with the red and white label) has served me well for two winters. It's light and tight. With a good belt, I have no complaints (except re-holstering, but I'm not a cop).

Post subject: Holsters - Kydek versus leather
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:28 pm 

You have a very fine weapon that deserves a good home. I'm fond of comp-tac.com Kydex good prices and great service. If its leather look no further than Jerry Lee of Haugenhandgunleather.com.

You can have the Kydex out of Houston for $50 in three days and its only a 4 to 6 weeks for Jerry to custom make you one in Bismark, North Dakota. My SIG 229 SAS DAK is in his $75 Equalizer model and it is perfect. I recommend a kangaroo skin lining but you can get suede, either is $15 extra.
Want strap, the holster cut higher, lower, talk it over with Jerry.

I'll repectfully diagree withh Matt, I don't carry my $400 PDA in $10 case and I don't want want my $900 gun in a $12 nylon holster.

While your at it get a good gunbelt that fully supports the weapon. Yeah, its money but you may be betting your life on it. Its like the folks who never test fire their carry ammo because it is expensive.

Last edited by IDPA Shooter on Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:31 pm 

Bowite-soon to be big red wrote:
Go buy a cheapie at Gander Mountain and then shop around the internet for seven holsters that don't work. You can buy a fobus or uncle mikes kydex for $20-30, they generally don't conceal that well, but make a decent utility, keep-the-gun-on-my-belt kind of holster. This removes the sense of urgency we all get when trying to find new leather for our new iron.

Personally, my first call is to Gary Brommeland- his stuff takes a while (going on 6 months for a belt) but it's worth it, IMO.

A Holster library doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I use all the leather I have.

Suggest you avoid the Fobus, unless you want to have to about pull your pants off everytime you draw. At least with Glocks they are too damn tight. Anyone with $5 can have my Fobus for the Glock 17.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
You have a very fine weapon that deserves a good home.

Quote:
I'll repectfully diagree withh Matt, I don't carry my $400 PDA in $10 case and I don't want want my $900 gun in a $12 nylon holster.

Well, as long as you're respectful. :D

Actually, I don't have a very fine weapon that deserves a good home; I have a reliable, functional tool (one of a couple handguns in the $350-new range) that needs a reliable, functional carrier. The nylon holster fits the bill.

I'm not looking to win a fashion prize, and I don't place much mystical value in any firearm.

For me, the sole criterion for a gun, or a holster, is this: Does it work?

The answer for me is, yes, the $12 nylon holster works great. It is very durable, it's washable, it's secure, and needs no care. (And I do wear a real gun belt, which cost three times as much as the holster, because that's what it took to get a reliable, functional belt.)

As for re-holstering, I am not convinced of the necessity of one-handed holstering for everyday concealed carry.

Police need to be able to reholster one-handed in order to transition from holding at gunpoint to handcuffing. I won't need to be doing that.

In a self-defense situation, that gun is going to be in my hand until the threat is definitively ended (at which time I can reholster at leisure) or the cops show up (and if they do, I sure won't be reholstering in their presence, regardless of holster).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Try High Noon Holsters at http://www.highnoonholsters.com/. They are very reasonable in cost and high quality. Plus, if what you order does not work for you, you can send it back even if it is used for a full refund or replacement item. I tried 3 holsters before they finally modified a Topless for me and never had a problem with them. They are great as far as I am concerned and no box of useless holsters to manage.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:26 am 

I've tried a bunch of different holsters. My main carry gun is a Glock 26, and my favorite holster for that is a high-riding Bianchi belt holster with a quick-release lock. I can draw my gun as quickly as if the holster had no lock at all, reinsert it with one hand and have it lock again, and it prints less than any other holster I've tried (my pedometer prints more than the Glock with this setup). It is extremely comfortable, and the lock gives me added security because I wear it while riding motorcycle. I got the holster for $40-$50 (I forget) at Sportsman's Warehouse in Coon Rapids. They have as good a selection as anyone else in town.

Bristol’s Bastards: In Iraq with the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of Minnesota’s National Guard: Bravo Company of Minnesota’s National Guard fought alongside the Marine Corp in Al Anbar province through the deadliest period of Operation Iraqi Freedom, kicking down doors, dodging IEDs, battling insurgents, and trying to help one another survive in the deadliest place on earth. Available in bookstores everywhere. For autographed copies, visit bristolsbastards.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

KEEPRS in Sauk Rapids ( St Cloud area) is a police issue place. They can order most everything, except for my H&K USP Tactical. They don't seem to meet all of the needs in store for the average Permit to Carry holder, but they have a better selection than Gander, Sportsman's Warehouse & Cabela's. They will order stuff for you.

http://www.keeprs.com/ is their URL, with address & phone number. Looks like they have a store in Minneapolis, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Moby Clarke wrote:
Try High Noon Holsters at http://www.highnoonholsters.com/. They are very reasonable in cost and high quality. Plus, if what you order does not work for you, you can send it back even if it is used for a full refund or replacement item. I tried 3 holsters before they finally modified a Topless for me and never had a problem with them. They are great as far as I am concerned and no box of useless holsters to manage.

I recommend them also! I have a Mr. Softy IWB for one of my guns and works great. I'm planning to get another highnoonholsters soon for one of my guns. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

I carry my 229 in a Safariland 560. Since I have Crimson Trace grips I have developed a distaste for thumb breaks as the Bianci I had prior required both hands to re-snap the strap when re-holstering. It rides comfortably low enought to prevent it from bouncing back and forth when walking like the Bianci did. It's not that I don't care for Bianci - I carry my Annaconda in one and it works great, just don't like it for my Sig. Kinda spendy if it is going to pull "drawer" duty. You may want to look into the Bianci Accumold models - they can be had much cheaper, retain great, but are a bit of a pain to put on your belt. The Safariland paddle allows me to position it on my weakside when driving for easier access and easily move it to strong side carry while wondering around on foot.

But the point remains, if it will see your socks more then your belt (drawer duty) it really doesn't matter much what you get.

Mostly-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.