Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:36 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Are IWBs supposed to hurt? 
 Post subject: Are IWBs supposed to hurt?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:01 pm 
Journeyman Member

I've tried probably a half dozen IWB holsters, and I can't find one that doesn't pinch the flesh between my ribs or my hip and the gun.

#1. Do happy IWB wearers add a couple inches to your waist size when selecting pants for IWB carry?

#2. What's the experience of you skinny guys? I've started wondering if it's just that I don't have enough padding to protect my ribs & hip.

#3. Does anyone have a recommended IWB for a small auto? (Kahr PM9 in my case).

#4. Any opinions about the belt attachment?

#5. Everything I've tried bulges away from my body in a very obvious manner. I end up looking like the hunch-butt of notre dame! Tuckable designs just seem silly because my belt & pants have this obvious bulge that's a lot more noticeable than a shirt hanging over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:58 pm 
1911 tainted

What are you using for a holster, Kydex? Personally, I can't wear Kydex, too uncomfortable.
There are ALOT of quality holster makers out there. I use Brommeland, Sparks, and Garrety Leather for inside the waist band and they are extremely comfortable. These are custom order stuff that you will have to wait for, but will not be sorry.
I'm sure some others will weigh in here on maybe some local off the shelf stuff, but if I would make a recommendation, it would be Brommeland.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Galco - leather
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:02 pm 
Journeyman Member

For IWB I've always used leather - in general, Galco. It's not so much the holster that's uncomfortable as it is the gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:24 pm 
1911 tainted

I don't understand how it can be only the gun causing the problem unless you are not using a holster at all. The holster design will make the gun comfortable to carry. Let go back to my favorite, a Brommeland MaxCon V. It is design to spread the weight of the gun and on shorter barrel models there is a flap of leather on the barrel end that extends down, thus giving it a wider footprint so that it does not pinch. This is hard to explain, and I know this won't do you any good, but I demonstrate these holsters in my permit to carry class.
How about e-mailing me and I will take a photo of the holster style that I am talking about and send it to you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:51 pm 
Journeyman Member

Hey Chuck -

I guess I have the same question as cobb, and wonder how it can be the gun.

I have almost the same piece - a Kahr P9. As you know, the only difference is that mine's about 1/2" longer in barrel and grip. Thickness is just the same. This is an EASY gun to hide.

I'm not skinny, but I'm not really overweight either. I normally wear 'normal' cut Levis with a 34" waist. My actual waste may only be 33", but it's not a bother.

The jeans leave room for an IWB as they are. I use a 36" Galco belt on the jeans as a gun belt and it is VERY unforgiving in terms of length. It's what it is - they don't really stretch over time at all.

Anyway - I've a couple IWBs for the Kahr. A change in thickness as little as one or two layers of leather will make a difference in how it feels while you're wearing it. Also, for IWB I don't like a holster where the muzzle sticks out.

My current favorite holster for my Kahr is a cheapie. It's the Bianchi Clip On IWB. Simple, almost a "pouch" holster. Very thin. Squeaks now and again, but I suspect I'm the only one that notices that. :)

You can get that particular holster for about $45-$50 off the shelf locally (like at Bill's).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:07 pm 
Journeyman Member

BTW - I think that a "sweat shield" is aboslutely a requirement for comfort on an IWB holster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:16 pm 

I have a Blade-Tech IWB for my PM9.
And I use Blade-Techs IWB for my Glocks in the winter.

I don't expect IWBs to be comfy, but, I guess I am just used to them and don't notice any discomfort.

Clint Smith said something along the lines of, "It's supposed to be comforting, not comfortable."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:57 pm 
Journeyman Member

For concealment IWB, I cant echo Cobb loudly enough! Brommeland!! I have a MaxCon V and it is the best IWB I've tried. of the guns/holsters I have, my 5" 1911 in the MaxCon is by far my most well-concealed rig! You would not be disappointed with Gary's work. You WILL be disappointed with how long it takes to get it, but it is well worth the wait. Make the call today- every day you wait is another day you won't get your new holster.

Over the last 9 months or so, I have gone to OWB and shoulder carry almost exclusively, as I suffer from chronic back pain that is aggravated by the pressures of an IWB holster. I miss my MaxCon... it was very comfy, till my back flared up again... :cry:

Post subject: Dave Workman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:03 pm 
The Man

I'm a big fan of Dave Workman's Undershirt IWB. I find it comfortable, and I think it's hard to beat either the price, or the quality. See http://www.defensetactics.com/dandd.htm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Oh, Hell, I’ll add my two cents.

I carry any one of the following daily. My Kahr P40, Colt 45 (alloy) Officers model, Kimber Ultra Tactical 45, or my Warthog 45. All have three-inch barrels. I have been carrying daily since the law first went into affect.

Only once, was I “discovered” to be carrying by anyone I meet. I fell down a staircase and splayed myself all over the main floor of a house. The next house I went to, the owner said (as she was following me up the stairs) “you must go into some really bad houses?” I was a bit puzzled by her question, but answered “No, but I do go into some bad neighborhoods”. Only later, to discover that my shirt was riding up my back from the fall, and exposing my handgun.

The retention as outlined in the fiasco above, attests to the holster I utilize. The fact that after MANY different holsters I have purchased and used, I have settled on the current way of securing my weapon.

It is an IWB holster that is also “tuckable” if you want to utilize that feature. There is a large, thin piece of leather that protects you from the gun itself ( a cocked and locked 1911), and is the backing for the holster. The part that holds the guns is made of Kydex.

Its about the most un-sexiest thing eyes can behold when sitting on a serf ice by itself. However, boy is it functional when placed where it gets it work done.

I am (I like to think) kind of middle of the road in height and weight. At 6’1’’ and 205#, (don’t know if that is true). I have a 36 in waist, but purchase 38 size pants. This allows for the space needed to add a holster within the pants and still be comfortable. It really doesn’t’ look funny. You can’t tell that is what I have done. You might assume that it may be “clown funny looking”, but it’s not. I alos have several “gun belts’, but don’t need to use them with this holster.

I have been using this devise ( I own two of them) for about 18 months. It is capable of “deep cover” with anything you want to wear. I have found that a golf shirt, not tucked in, works the best. You can holster the gun with one hand. It is easily accessible and draws fast, but retains the weapon until needed.

No. I don’t’ own any stock.

I have not heard any “talk” about this holster, but during my extensive search for the perfect holster, I came across one article about it and ordered one. I haven’t looked back since.

Again, I will post the link:

http://store.yahoo.com/rlcompanyusa/index.html

Go to Tucker Gun Leather, Holsters, “The Answer”.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:35 am 

Here's my thoughts...

#1. Yes, many people get their pants a couple inches larger to accommodate the IWB holster.

#2. I'm not overly skinny but the holster has to fit your build as well. Finding the correct angle for your body helps immensely. I started with a Sparks Watch Six for a 1911, liked it and knew it concealed well. I"m currently using a Comp-tac C-TAC for a 3" XD which is more comfortable, once I got used to the kydex brick against my hip. But as I could set the angle of the gun it worked out better for me. I went back to the 1911 the other weekend and it just didn't hit me right anymore. :cry: Haven't decided what to do about this yet.

#3. I'd recommend a holster that doesn't have the belt attachment over the gun, something that has them off to the side(s). This minimizes the overall bulk of the gun. However, if you find/have a holster that has the clip/loop etc over the holster body and it works, GREAT!

#4. Personally, for leather I'd lean towards a snap loop as it's easier to put on and off vs a sewn loop. For kydex all I've used has been the basic loop. The J hook or the C hook doesn't seem, to me, to add much. If I needed to reduce the visibility of the belt attachment I'd go to the velcro system.

#5. Just blouse your shirt out more. Just because it's obvious to you, doesn't mean that everyone is looking at your bulge. Most people are oblivious.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:50 am 
Longtime Regular

Steelheart wrote:
Just blouse your shirt out more. Just because it's obvious to you, doesn't mean that everyone is looking at your bulge. Most people are oblivious.Steelheart

That is great advice.

On times when I want to wear a dress style shirt, I will use the “tuckable’ feature of my holster and “blouse" the shirt out all around. It looks fine and works fantastic for concealment.

Accessing could be an issue, but if your in an environment were you would have time to acquire the weapon if needed, this is the ultimate solution for “deep cover”.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:12 am 

I was typing kind of quick there. So I thought I'd babble some more...

Yes, a tuckable holster is a nice option. My C-TAC is tuckable so I've used it on and off that way. If I have to draw and I was carrying tucked it will take a little longer.

Here's a method of drawing from a tucked holster:

Yank/Rip etc. the shirt from your waistband. Some say to use your weak side hand, others to use your strong side hand. I've played around with both as my weak side hand might be busy....
If you use your weak side hand to yank the shirt out, you can use it to hold the shirt out of the way of getting a good grip.
If you used your strong side hand, pull the shirt up high, I think my hand goes up to my armpit.
Then use whatever method you normally would use to draw when wearing a pull-over type of cover garment.

I tend to practice using only my strong side hand to draw incase I am having to fend off my assailant with my weak hand. Now wouldn't' that be a surprise? :evil:

My friends and even my girlfriend can't tell when I'm carrying. Most of spotting someone is if they are acting weird. Or dressed strangely for conditions, like a big parka in July. After that you're down to little things that most people don't look for.

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Steelheart wrote:
Here's a method of drawing from a tucked holster:

Yank/Rip etc. the shirt from your waistband. Some say to use your weak side hand, others to use your strong side hand... If you use your weak side hand to yank the shirt out, you can use it to hold the shirt out of the way of getting a good grip. Steelheart

I think that's called a "Hackathrorn rip"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:17 pm 

Steelheart wrote:
My friends and even my girlfriend can't tell when I'm carrying. Most of spotting someone is if they are acting weird. Or dressed strangely for conditions, like a big parka in July. After that you're down to little things that most people don't look for.

Steelheart

With a good IWB holster a t-shirt untucked hides a gun just fine. With the proliferation of cell phones and PDA type devices, it is not unusual for someone to have something on the belt anyhow, which makes actually positively IDing a gun by a fleeting bulge that only appears when someone bends over just right much more difficult to do.

Then again, as far as I'm concerned, EVERYONE I meet is armed until I see them naked.

:P

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.