Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:07 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Alessi Bodyguard- Review 
 Post subject: Alessi Bodyguard- Review
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:25 pm 
Journeyman Member

Well, I'm going on about two weeks with my Bodyguard Shoulder Rig from Lou Alessi. I couldn't be happier. I have goofy legs that cause my low back to be constantly out of alignment, so the IWB was starting to grate on me. I switched to OWB and got a new gunbelt, (old one was well-worn) which improved the situation significantly, but nothing felt so good as taking that iron off when I got home at night. I have been toying with the idea of ordering a Bodyguard since january. Well, a couple weeks ago, I called Lightning Arms Sports, and they had one in stock for my 5"1911. I had it in two days.

The fit to my gun is superb. The boning and finish are also excellent. The harness and double magpouch are made of a thin, soft leather. It took awhile to get the harness adjusted to where it was comfortable, and I still may tinker with it some more, but where it is right now it's pretty comfy. If I'm not thinking about it, I generally don't notice it. If you bend over, it follows you and doesn't print like most modes of belt carry. You do have to be mindful of an open-front cover on a windy day, but thats as simple as keeping you arm at your side.

There is one part of this holster that I find a bit unnerving. The method of retention is a snap that goes through the front of the triggerguard. My first reaction was, "nothing goes in my triggerguard!", but there are ALOT of people out there with this holster, and I haven't come across an AD story yet, so I went with it. The snap is really in the *very* front of the 'guard, and the trigger is more or less protected from your fingers by the leather surrounding the gun. You'd have to try REALLY hard to push the trigger while snapping this holster, and I'm not sure its' even possible to push the trigger while the snap is in place. The benefit of this system is the slick draw. A convincing tug will break the snap loose and free the weapon. There is no thumb break to mess with, just for a good combat grip and tug. So far, it works for me- if I shoot my foot off, I'll let you know! :)

The double magpouch, I'm convinced, is not for carying extra ammo for a speedy reload. Extracting the magazines from the pouch in a gunfight had best be done behind hard cover, as they are awkward to reach. The pouch does, however, provide a substantial balancing effect, evening out the load nicely. That is not to say that there is an *equal* load, but it isn't so uneven that it is irritating.

All-in-all, I kinda feel like an ultra-militant dork for choosing a shoulder rig for daily carry. I also feel it really takes me out of the open carry 'game'. People just don't like looking down gun barrels, and I can't say I blame them. The benefits to me are as follows:
1. No back pain.
2. Much less time to "gear up" in the morning.
3. Finding a cover garment is easier
4. Access to weapon while driving is as good as it gets

I am very happy with the purchase of this leather, and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Life is good. :P

There are so many different people, with different needs and desires that one choice can never work for all. :cry:

Congratulations, BigRedBowtie on your choice. Although I ccannot imagine a shoulder rig that would work for me, I am glad you found something that works for you. :wink:

I personally prefer the holster I have mentioned on several posts in this forum. :)

To each, his own. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

Is the holster in a vertical or horizontal position?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:21 pm 
Journeyman Member

the barrel rides in a horizontal position, muzzle back, grip front

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

I carry a 1911 “cocked, locked, and ready to rock”, 8)

But, having the muzzle of my gun pointing at people...FREAKS ME OUT! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

I think that a vertical style would be more concealable, at least under jackets. My torso is taller than it is thick, at least until mid winter. :0

I'm looking into a Galco SS2 for my Glock 29 as an alternative to belt carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:55 pm 
Journeyman Member

re: muzzle direction... I hope the following will be taken in the spirit it is intended- at least it isn't pointing at my butt anymore!!

re: vertical orientation... I'm 6-4 and 270-ish. I wear a 52 long. This rig conceals as well on me as most holsters I've worn. As long as the clothes are loose, all is good. My favorite cover is a "slugger" jacket- it's a short-sleeve, pullover windbreaker with my company logo on it. Nobody gives me a second look. A fleece pullover works well, too, but the most accessible cover is something that is open in the front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:06 pm 

Man, I cannot imagine carrying with a shoulder rig. I sweat too much under the straps, even in the winter. Plus, at 6-1, 195lbs, I can carry a rather large handgun (G17) IWB in the winter with great concealment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigRedBowtie wrote:
re: muzzle direction... I hope the following will be taken in the spirit it is intended- at least it isn't pointing at my butt anymore!!

Oh, you left yourself soooo open. :lol:

Post subject: Sweating
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:22 am 

goalie wrote:
Man, I cannot imagine carrying with a shoulder rig. I sweat too much under the straps, even in the winter. Plus, at 6-1, 195lbs, I can carry a rather large handgun (G17) IWB in the winter with great concealment.

I went with the Galco Miami Classic over the Bodyguard to get the narrow straps, I too sweat profusely whether it's winter or summer. I don't use a shoulder rig very often but on occasion it is easier to conceal then a hip holster. I have never found an IWB I can use that is comfortable

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:37 am 

I received my Bodyguard on fri I ordered from Lightning arms on wed Craig is great to deal with. :D I spend about 75% of my time in a vehicle and have in the past used VMII,Alessi Talon and a Alessi CQC thus far my fav has been the cqc easy on and off and comfy but access is poor while seated. The boneing on the holster is good but the fit is tight and I cant hardly draw the gun even without the snap being used. :( I have left the Kimber in the holster over night a couple of times in a double layer of plastic bags better but still dont require the snap. The harness is brown while the holster is cordavon. The harness straps are adjusted about as short as they will go, I am about 5'8'' 155 and wear a 42 short. Concealment seems good with a flannel shirt and with winter coming a coat or jacket should be great. The weight on the shoulder is noticeable like anything new but not uncomfortable. It feels about as different as not having the weight on my hip. Time will tell.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rem700 wrote:
I received my Bodyguard on fri I ordered from Lightning arms on wed Craig is great to deal with. :D I spend about 75% of my time in a vehicle and have in the past used VMII,Alessi Talon and a Alessi CQC thus far my fav has been the cqc easy on and off and comfy but access is poor while seated. The boneing on the holster is good but the fit is tight and I cant hardly draw the gun even without the snap being used. :( I have left the Kimber in the holster over night a couple of times in a double layer of plastic bags better but still dont require the snap. The harness is brown while the holster is cordavon. The harness straps are adjusted about as short as they will go, I am about 5'8'' 155 and wear a 42 short. Concealment seems good with a flannel shirt and with winter coming a coat or jacket should be great. The weight on the shoulder is noticeable like anything new but not uncomfortable. It feels about as different as not having the weight on my hip. Time will tell.

For what it's worth, the blurb that came in a new Galco holster said that keeping your roscoe in the holster didn't do squat, you need to manually work the leather folding/rolling it back and forth to "work" the leather.

At least that's what THEY say, I'd guess that if you got 3 holster guys in the same room you'd get 5 opinions on guns and 10 opinions on leather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:03 pm 

Quote:
For what it's worth, the blurb that came in a new Galco holster said that keeping your roscoe in the holster didn't do squat, you need to manually work the leather folding/rolling it back and forth to "work" the leather.

At least that's what THEY say, I'd guess that if you got 3 holster guys in the same room you'd get 5 opinions on guns and 10 opinions on leather.

You are absolutely correct. Almost all leather holsters shrink after they are made and the tanning chemicals evaporate out of them, especially if there is nothing in them to make them hold their size and shape. If you have ever got a pair of leather shoes or boots wet that weren't waterproofed you probably know what I mean. It is just like a new baseball glove, you have to work the leather to soften it up so you gun fits better. I had to work my Miami Classic for about an hour before my Walther fit right and slid in and out smoothly. If you have mag pouches they will probably need to be worked too. Flex the holster and start working the leather with your hands until it softens up. You may need to roll the seems under your thumb and forefinger to get some of the width back. Putting your gun in it over night isn't going to help. :D

Occam's Razor:
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:23 pm 

Most of the holster makers I have talked with seem to go with the plastic bag over the gun so the holster stretches to fit the gun. I guess pulling and rolling the leather and seams might make it more pliable but how does it conform to the gun?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Works great
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:12 am 

By pulling and rolling the leather it just softens it and stretches it a bit. As far as the moulded fit goes it doesn't get altered at all. I have done this with all of my leather holsters and it works great. I recommend this for shoulder rigs because of the softening of the leather. It is more comfortable against your side after working the leather a bit. :)

Occam's Razor:
Visit us at www.ddht.us

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.