Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Kel Tec P3At pocket holster recomendation 
 Post subject: Kel Tec P3At pocket holster recomendation
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:41 am 

A friend just got a P3AT and would like a recomendation on a good pocket holster. What has worked for you? Thanks

NRA & Minnesota certified instructor

www.mnpersonaldefense.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:45 am 
Longtime Regular

The Holdster isn't for everybody, but I think it's one of the better pocket carry options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:47 am 
Longtime Regular

squib_joe wrote:
The Holdster isn't for everybody, but I think it's one of the better pocket carry options.

It fails the "must cover the trigger" test, so I'll pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:56 am 
Journeyman Member

I use these, I realy like the convertable feature.
http://www.pocketholsters.com/Kel-Tec_Pocket_Wallet_Holster/kel-tec_pocket_wallet_holster.html

Dorian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Uncle Mike's will probably be the cheapest and it usually is my choice in jeans. Material is soft but works OK. Rubber material around it keeps it in the pocket. Cost is only $10. Use it until you find something better. They don't last as long as the following.

Mika or DeSantis are also good and only $15. Mika has a "spring" in it to keep it open making reholstering easier but seems to print a little more. Material with DeSantis is good doesn't print quite as much as the Mika.

I haven't found a leather pocket holster I prefer over the above but they are much more expensive. $50 plus.

To reholster, I always remove holster from pocket, insert gun, then put both in pocket.

The square or round cut is determined by the shape of the bottom of your pocket. It will make a difference how the gun sets in the pocket and how easy it is to grip when your hand is placed in the pocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'll vouch for the efficiency of the cheapass Uncle Mike's pocket holster. It's cheap. It fits the gun. It breaks up the outline. It stays in your pocket when you draw the gun. It's worth a try.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:29 pm 
Delicate Flower

DeanC wrote:
I'll vouch for the efficiency of the cheapass Uncle Mike's pocket holster. It's cheap. It fits the gun. It breaks up the outline. It stays in your pocket when you draw the gun. It's worth a try.

Yup.....and cheap enough to get 1 round bottom and 1 square bottom :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:40 pm 

Check out ktog.org, you will find answers to any questions you have about holsters for the P3AT.

RTK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:05 pm 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
squib_joe wrote:

It also may run into BATFE trouble; they've argued, at least in the past, that putting a handgun in that sort of holster makes it an AOW. (I don't particularly care to go to the effort to have a holster that would make it easy for me to shoot myself in the butt to have researched the matter enough to know if I'd want to worry about the BATFE's position.)

When either Felicia or I carry the P3AT, we use the Uncle Mike's. It's lasted for several years, and while there's nothing elegant about it, for about ten bucks, it's hard to beat.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:19 pm 

What is an AOW?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

All Other Weapons. if it falls in that huge catch all I believe it has to have a lot of red tape and tax stamps to be legally owned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:14 pm 
Journeyman Member

Andrew Rothman wrote:
squib_joe wrote:

I didn't pass and bought a P3AT with The Holster in a package combo from Bill's (decent price by the way). I carried the thing around the house for two weeks cocked without one in the pipe to make sure I was comfortable with it. I loaded snap caps one night and was practicing drawing from different pockets (front and back) and seated and standing. Didn't seem to be having any problems. Then I went out to my car (alone in the garage so I didn't freak anyone out!), got comfy and tried to draw from my back pocket. The first few times were ok, drawing slowly to get the hang of it. I tried one fast draw and that was it for me. I thought I had a good grip, yanked, all I heard was a very loud *CLICK* of the hammer falling. I pulled it the rest of the way out and found my middle finger on the trigger!

It's not for everybody, and it's definately not for me!

I'll agree with what was said about the Uncle Mike's. I was out the next day to pick up one of those.

But, mama taught me to always say something nice... I will say that The Holster made it a much easier gun to shoot. Having that middle finger farther away from the grip gives you a little more leverage and control over muzzle flip. The leather (or leatherette?) on the backstrap took some of the sting out of shooting it as well. The good points just don't overcome the one glaring problem for me of not having the trigger covered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

The technology branch of the BATF has determined the Holdster to be a non-AOW primarily because it is "readily discernible as a weapon" due to the exposed slide. The maker of the product ( http://www.artofthehide.com ) provides a copy of this ruling letter upon request.

The old Galco "wallet holsters" are AOWs and should not be used with the Kel-Tec or any other pistol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I use an UM #4 pocket holster for my P32 and works great for front or rear pocket carry! :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:18 pm 
The Man

squib_joe wrote:
The technology branch of the BATF has determined the Holdster to be a non-AOW primarily because it is "readily discernible as a weapon" due to the exposed slide. The maker of the product ( http://www.artofthehide.com ) provides a copy of this ruling letter upon request.

The old Galco "wallet holsters" are AOWs and should not be used with the Kel-Tec or any other pistol.
Very cool; thanks, Joe. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with it, but it's nice to know that it's not going to be a legal problem.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.