Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Kel Tec P3At pocket holster recomendation 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm using one of these, I got it from Oleg and I haven't got around to asking him who made it. It's simple and it works great!

That said, the only problem with this, and all other pocket holsters I've seen for the Keltec, leave the mag release uncovered. Once in a while I'll find the mag unlatched and out about 1/8th inch. I check it in my back pocket now and then and latch it if necessary. If you carry in your front pocket I doubt it'll be a problem. I'm going to take a Dremel tool to the release button and lower it's profile some and that should clear up the problem. The ideal solution might be to have leather over the button, with a hole punched where the button rides, but that may push the button when you draw.

YMMV

Greg[/url]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:37 am 
Journeyman Member

Others have mentioned checking out Kel-Tec Owner's Group. Did a little poking around there and found this recent thread:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.c ... 1158334013

Some pretty good suggestions for pocket carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:57 am 

Thanks for all the input! The information has been passed on and He likes some of the suggestions.

NRA & Minnesota certified instructor

www.mnpersonaldefense.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:21 pm 

Try a Desantis Nemisis, works great for my P3AT. Front or rear pocket.
Nice price..

Be safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:01 pm 

Looking for a pocket holster (for a kel-tec) that has a mag carrier as part of the holster.

I've seen a photo of a UM's with a spare mag carrier but can't find it on the UM's web sight?

Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

HOPPES9 wrote:
Looking for a pocket holster (for a kel-tec) that has a mag carrier as part of the holster.

I've seen a photo of a UM's with a spare mag carrier but can't find it on the UM's web sight?

Any suggestions?

I could make you one with my Rough Out as a base and your ideas on what your looking for.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:25 pm 

HOPPES9 wrote:
Looking for a pocket holster (for a kel-tec) that has a mag carrier as part of the holster. I've seen a photo of a UM's with a spare mag carrier but can't find it on the UM's web sight? Any suggestions?

I use the UM's #1 pocket for this. The bottom small part of the "L" shape of the holster is easily opened at the top. I had to sew up the outside edge to make it stronger after cutting the top threads, but it's been solid for at least 4 months now. The only thing that you may not like with this mod is that the extra magazine's bottom is almost right against the grip of the 3AT when holstered. You thus can't wrap your hand around the grip to draw. With a little practice though, you can still easily draw. Just takes some getting used to. Having the extra rounds is worth it. (Note that there's a discussion at KTOG about how hard it is to quickly pull an extra mag from the same pocket you carry your gun in. It's something to think through and practice as well if you plan to carry the gun and extra mag together in one holster/pocket.)

I'll try to post a few pics of my set up so the above description makes more sense. I've never posted pics here before. Are there any size limits or other instructions/restrictions about pics that I need to know?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:39 pm 

I don't have a url to link the pics I took of my UM magazine modification to so PM me if you want me to send a few pics directly to you. Anybody willing to let me email three pics to you that you can then post at some url and then link from this board to the url?

Thanks,

[/img]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:37 pm 

Thanks all.

I just picked the Kel Tec up a few weeks ago.

So far I ended up with a UM #2 (which is a bit long) Cheap though, $9.99

I'll probably order a holster but give me a bit to find out exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like the holster to cover the mag release, carry a spare mag. I'm leaning on a square bottomed holster also, not sure why though.

Thoughts so far...
I wear khaki pants to work.
I carry on my weak hand side, front pocket. (Speed of draw is not a concern, I plan on pulling the holster and gun out, pulling the pistol from the holster and stuffing the holster back in the pocket if worst comes to worst and I need the gun)
I keep my cell phone in the same pocket, in front of the holster. My cell phone prints like no tomorrow.
I find the holster rotates some and is never muzzle down. I have been adjusting it to muzzle to outside of leg.
I don't carry with one in the chamber in my pocket.
I carry my glock hot when I can carry the glock, but I'm not comfortable with a hot pistol in my pocket.
Lint seems to build up at the magwell and just behind the hammer.
I plan on switching mags once per month since I have it loaded full.
I also plan on cleaning it once per month, primarily to remove the lint.
I'd really like to carry a spare mag.

I like the gun, I can hit a coffee can with it at 25 yards and put almost all shots on the IDPA zero zone at 7 yards. Plus it conceals really well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:37 am 
Longtime Regular

onebohemian wrote:
I don't have a url to link the pics I took of my UM magazine modification to so PM me if you want me to send a few pics directly to you. Anybody willing to let me email three pics to you that you can then post at some url and then link from this board to the url?

Thanks,

Here you go:
http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/onebohemian/100_1048.JPG

http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/onebohemian/100_1049.JPG

http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/onebohemian/100_1050.JPG

[edited to un-embed pictures. Too damn big - AR]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:54 pm 

Hoppes9:

We offer the style of holster which holds the gun and mag all in one set up. You can view it on our website here: http://www.kdholsters.com/basefile/pdp.html. We also offer it with an anti-print panel which snaps on/off as desired.

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:00 pm 

Oh man! So much for an easy decision.

Thanks all for all the info.

H9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:49 am 
Longtime Regular

http://www.bearclawholsters.com/holsters/insidejob.aspx

K&D is pretty great also ...

http://www.kdholsters.com/basefile/pd.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:31 pm 

I have a Desantis Nemisis. Seems to work just fine. I think it was $20.00

That Uncle Mikes looks pretty good too

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Greg wrote:
I'm using one of these, I got it from Oleg and I haven't got around to asking him who made it. It's simple and it works great!

That said, the only problem with this, and all other pocket holsters I've seen for the Keltec, leave the mag release uncovered. Once in a while I'll find the mag unlatched and out about 1/8th inch. I check it in my back pocket now and then and latch it if necessary. If you carry in your front pocket I doubt it'll be a problem. I'm going to take a Dremel tool to the release button and lower it's profile some and that should clear up the problem. The ideal solution might be to have leather over the button, with a hole punched where the button rides, but that may push the button when you draw.

YMMV

Greg[/url]

I just ran across this old thread while shopping around for a pocket holster.

www.pocketholsters.com has very nice ones for many guns including for the Keltecs and Ruger LCP with two different laser sights and has a great price on the sights too.

The problem with my P3AT (see above) turned out to be a defective mag catch and since I got a new catch for $4.00 from Mark K at the Last Gunshop it's worked fine with no more problems. He has quite a few spare parts for the Keltecs and it beats sending it in if parts will fix the problem.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.