Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Have you falen in the last..... 

Have you fallen in the last
Year  39%  39%  [ 17 ]
Five Years  32%  32%  [ 14 ]
Ten Years  14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Can't remember falling  16%  16%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 44

Have you falen in the last..... 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
macphisto wrote:
Those who answered Can't remember falling are either not very active or lying.

I think you're failing to consider memory loss from head injuries. :)

And some people only fall down when they're really really drunk. Or so I've heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was standing in the parking lot at work on a slight incline talking to the director, I did not known I was standing on a sheet of ice covered with a light dusting of fresh snow.

Slipped, 8 hours of orthopedic surgery later I have only lost 10% of the motion and about 15-20% of the strength permanently.

I also do a lot of sliding (skiing) and don't recall the last time I fell before the one at work. This point of fact as well as selurcpsi's contribution show that people who don't recall their last fall are not lying, contrary to some opinions.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:35 am 

Pat Cannon wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
macphisto wrote:

I think you're failing to consider memory loss from head injuries. :)

And some people only fall down when they're really really drunk. Or so I've heard.

:lol: Sorry I havnt had the pleasure of meeting you yet!
Your avatar and the story behind it was the first thing I thought of when reading the topic.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:54 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, this question is a little different, but oh well. I participate in a variety of sports, so yes I have fallen. I suppose the one that makes me fall the most is rock climbing. That one I don't hit the ground in, but when I'm bouldering (low climbs without a harness) I do definitely hit the ground. Bike riding (had a few interesting collisions with the ground there), sailing, hikes, backpacking and many others.

Actually, with backpacking, I nearly got the lovely opportunity to watch my best friend fall about 40 feet down a cliff this past summer. We went up either side of a waterfall. I went up the left, he went up the right. We were near the top, got our pictures taken, then started our downclimb. Downclimbing is much harder. He got his foot caught on a rock for a moment, and the next thing I heard was his feet moving very fast. Never a good sign when you're 50 or 60 feet off the ground on a rock with an angle better than 50 degrees. To make matters worse, he was headed for a much steeper section, was moving faster than his feet could carry him, and couldn't turn. He couldn't stop himself going over a 6 foot drop, and I saw him point toward the water to jump in case he couldn't control it from there. We had discussed before (though obvious) that if we started to fall, head for the water. It was shallow, but better than hitting straight jagged rocks. He managed to barely keep from going over. I had to wait 3 or 4 minutes before I could downclimb the rest of the way. I had a major adrenaline rush when I saw him falling, and couldn't feel the rocks properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:38 am 

AGoodDay, that's a hard story to follow. I've had a number of falls, mostly cycling related, but the one I found most technically interesting occurred during a ruckmarch. We'd been running the same path in the mornings for a few weeks; several miles to the top of a hill. One morning I tripped on a rock and, because of the weight of my ruck, wasn't able to recover. Instead, I tucked my head in and curled, flipping and landing on my right shoulder. I had enough momentum to roll onto my feet and continue running. My buddy behind me found it a little odd. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:27 am 

I fall about once a winter but I slide a few times or more. Yes I do have good balance but not from sports (didn't play any).

If I wipe out the next time I go outside I know who to blame as I haven't gone down yet this season. :lol:

Steelheart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:33 am 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:
Broomball last weekend gave me some nice bruises to show off.

Or we are like Old Dude and have hit our heads more then a few times. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:06 pm 

brauchma wrote:
Morale of the story: Never pass slow chubby chicks in the winter when there are over 100 people around.

Amen. Just play it safe, stay behind them, and enjoy the view! :) What...I can't admire the curvy gals? :?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.