Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Mika pocket holster 
 Post subject: Mika pocket holster
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

One of my sons (a sensible lad who likes guns) bought himself and me Mika pocket holsters for our lightweight J-frames.

Very, very nice. I find that the gun just about ceases to be noticeable even to me, let alone anybody else. Of course, a pocket holster seems to be suited best to somebody who usually wears jeans, like me, with a lot of crap bulging the pockets anyway, so presumably people are used to a degree of pocket fullness.

I wrote to Mika asking if I should wet-form the holster to the gun, and he advised against it, saying the holster is designed for easy extraction. He uses some kind of waterproof material, saying that it keeps the gun from getting damp and corroding. The outer shell smells like leather, so it probably is. The inner layer must be waterproof.

It is fast. I might not be able to draw as fast as some Hollywood Old West guy, but under 2.0 seconds is decent. While standing, that is. From a seated position, it's pretty slow -- but most holsters are, except the crossdraw.

Anyway, I am very pleased with it for daily carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:47 am 
Raving Moderate

+1

I have one, and love it. Plus, he's great to work with. A+++

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:46 am 
Longtime Regular

I have 2 for my J frames. A round and a square cut. I'm still not sure which one I like better for my jean pocket. I think I usually use the round bottom in blue jeans which is what I wear 95 % of the time. The only pocket they do not work perfectly in are loose, baggy pockets that don't grab the friction material on the sides and the holster may come with the gun when drawn.

The material is not leather. It is a synthetic material. Probably better for this pocket application if you sweat. There is a mesh material inside to hold it open slightly. This is probalbly the only think I might question concerning the deaign. I have an Uncle Mike's and have seen a DeSantis which are softer materials and may not print as much as the Mika with is held open slightly by this mesh. The advantage to the mesh is that it is possible to re-holster the gun without removing the holster from the pocket. I do not do this but I usually remove the holster from the pocket to re-holster. With the Uncle Mike's and DeSantis holsters, one must remove the holster, insert the gun and then insert both into the pocket.

I never have had anyone say they noticed I was carrying with the Mika's. I do not usually wear a cover garment in summer, only a tucked in shirt and the blue jeans.

When I first got the holsters, I thought they were literally a little rough around the edges. I buffed the edges a little with sandpaper and with the wear from use they are fine.

Over all, I would highly recommend his pocket holsters. For the price, they are a real deal. Work fine. And how many custom holsters do you get with your name in them and signed by the maker for $15.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:13 pm 

I have one and love it! It looks like a wallet in my khaki pants at church. I had one lady eying it an unusual amount and it was weirding me out. I just put my hands in my pockets along side the holster. Maybe I should have adjusted myself in a overdone manner so she would get embarrassed!?! ;)

someone1980 showed me his and I liked it. The writing seems to come off and get on the cylinder on a 340pd. I didn't like it when I saw someone1980's. I ordered one and asked Mika not to write in it. He said he wouldn't. I got the holster a week later with a note on it that said " I used a different pen so it shouldn't wear off onto your gun." Umm...yeah, it still came off. I think he used a different pen out of his silver pen box.

I love the holster and would recommend one to anybody with a small j-frame stubby like a 340pd. I find that the square cut doesn't sit well in my jeans at all. the grip sticks out a bit. Maybe the round would be better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:28 pm 

Robert makes a great pocket knife holster also that solves the problem of making a good folder accessible without having a clip showing. My J-frame rides in my front pocket and my CRKT M16 in my hip pocket, both in Mika holsters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:12 am 
Longtime Regular

brauchma wrote:
The writing seems to come off and get on the cylinder on a 340pd. I didn't like it when I saw someone1980's. I ordered one and asked Mika not to write in it. He said he wouldn't. I got the holster a week later with a note on it that said " I used a different pen so it shouldn't wear off onto your gun." Umm...yeah, it still came off. I think he used a different pen out of his silver pen box.

The writing on mine doesn't come off, as far as I can tell, but then the gun is a titanium frame, which is sort of pale gray. Still, the writing appears intact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Dave Matheny wrote:
brauchma wrote:
The writing seems to come off and get on the cylinder on a 340pd. I didn't like it when I saw someone1980's. I ordered one and asked Mika not to write in it. He said he wouldn't. I got the holster a week later with a note on it that said " I used a different pen so it shouldn't wear off onto your gun." Umm...yeah, it still came off. I think he used a different pen out of his silver pen box.

The writing on mine doesn't come off, as far as I can tell, but then the gun is a titanium frame, which is sort of pale gray. Still, the writing appears intact.

I have the Stainless Steel Taurus 85 Ultralight and the round pocket holster. The writing in my holster is pretty much gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:52 pm 

I am somewhat disappointed with mine (642). The opening is wide which results in a big bulge in the pocket ("is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?").

I pretty much use my Uncle Mike's. Practically no bulge.

If I were a cop looking for a pocket holster for my bug then the Mika would be it, however.

What I do like is my Mika IWB for my 642. For the cost that think just rocks. It's comfortable, rides low and pretty much disappears under a cover garment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

lumbering.buffalo wrote:

Quote:
The opening is wide which results in a big bulge in the pocket

Ask him to build one without the stiffener inside. It should then be like an Uncle Mike's soft fabric with the bendfit of the more moisture resistant material of the Mika's. (Like a DeSantis pocket holster is.)

You then will not be able to re-holster without removing the holster from the pocket (same as I do with the Uncle Mike's fabric one) but I think it will print less like the Mika's with the stiffener.

For Mika's price it is worth a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Where the pistol meets the silver pen there are large white/silver marks on the pistol. They appear to go away with time. I have not tried washing it at all, as after I figured out what it was it did not bother me.

Having said that, I can see how people would be concerned about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:50 pm 

Yep, my daily pocket-holster too. It's hard to go wrong with something that effective, comfortable, and inexpensive.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:18 am 
Raving Moderate

I've never had a rub-off problem (SP101, stainless), but it may be because I'm using it in an inside vest pocket and not in a pants pocket. Could it be body heat causing the rub off?

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:10 pm 

someone1980 wrote:
Where the pistol meets the silver pen there are large white/silver marks on the pistol. They appear to go away with time. I have not tried washing it at all, as after I figured out what it was it did not bother me.

Having said that, I can see how people would be concerned about that.

He emailed me and said that I could use a little paint thinner.

Maybe I didn't let it dry enough? He sends them pretty fast and I used it pretty fast.

A formula for how to get Mika writing on cylinder?:
Fast finished product and shipping + Fast eagerness to use = painty writing rubbing off on cylinder?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.