Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Thigh carry 
 Post subject: Thigh carry
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 am 
Longtime Regular

I was recently re-reading a Heinlein classic whose main protagonist liked it when men's fashion permitted him to wear a kilt, that way he had easier access to the weapon he had strapped to his thigh.

I do have a couple of kilts, but I have never been able to figure out how to attach a holster to my thigh without cutting off cirulation or risking having it fall down. And my sporran is too small for my Para, nor would I want 4 pounds of weapon and ammo bouncing off the boys in a fracas.

Any suggestions? Besides Duct Tape?

Post subject: Re: Thigh carry
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:14 am 
Longtime Regular

bkrafft wrote:
I was recently re-reading a Heinlein classic whose main protagonist liked it when men's fashion permitted him to wear a kilt, that way he had easier access to the weapon he had strapped to his thigh.

I do have a couple of kilts, but I have never been able to figure out how to attach a holster to my thigh without cutting off cirulation or risking having it fall down. And my sporran is too small for my Para, nor would I want 4 pounds of weapon and ammo bouncing off the boys in a fracas.

Any suggestions? Besides Duct Tape?

I think the weapons Heinlein imagined were smaller and lighter than current weapons.

The only way I have been able to figure this out is a standatrd tactical thigh holster worn inside the kilt on the outside of the thigh.

I would think it would print, but I haven't worn a kilt for years so I have no idea.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:29 am 
Longtime Regular

I have a wierd collection of links and internet haunts. What that means is the the oddball holster config I read about recently is the ONLY link I can't find right now :-(

I've seen a couple thigh rigs that were unisex. The ones that I thought might work for me had a drop strap from your belt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Thunderwear, your sporren will mask any extra bulges.
:) :) :) :) :) :)

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:
Thunderwear, your sporren will mask any extra bulges.

I had thought about Thunderwear and/or SmartCarry (the GunGuys find it <a href=http://www.gunguys.com/?p=1581 target=new>risible</a>), but my impression is that your weapon is not really readily accessible, especially when seated (extra especially when you have a stomach that covers your belt buckle). One of the reasons I *really* like my shoulder holster is that I can easily access my weapon while seated, driving, etc..

The thigh carry I was thinking of is more along the lines of scratch your leg and you've got your gun in your hand.

I'll have to give the tactical thigh holster some thought: I'll let all y'all know if it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:39 am 
Longtime Regular

You'd probably need a holster that still attached to your belt - a drop leg holster. I don't know how you'd run that inside your waistband. And, I don't want to be anywhere near you when you go to draw that that thing. Maybe that would be a deterrent enough. :lol:

"Arggh laddie, you best back off now or I'll hike up me kilt!"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:29 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
I've seen a couple thigh rigs that were unisex. The ones that I thought might work for me had a drop strap from your belt.

The one I saw was a Galco.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?Pr ... alogID=374
Picture (big) http://www.usgalco.com/Catalog/large/Th ... rawing.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

I vote for Smartcarry. "Just lift up your Kilt and grab your Gun!" :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:22 pm 

One tip.
Thigh holsters will rotate forward so that it is on the front of your leg rather than the side, you need to secure the belt attachment to prevent this from happening

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:04 pm 

OH. MY. GOD. On the inner side of your thigh. That holster is going to test the efficacy of any melt job. It's going to require more of an old west Can-Can flash than hiking up a kilt from the side too.

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to modify a kilt to provide a slit that would allow reaching in to draw from a thigh holster. A snap or some velcro should prevent any Marlene Dietrich effect with hairy Scottish gams.<shudder>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:20 pm 
On time out

Hide a 642 in the sporan :D As i dont know what you can strap anything to cause a real Scots Man always goes comando when wearing his kilt. Just like in Carry on up the Kyber i think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

I imagine you'd benefit from some sort of garter belt type thingy. Covered in smooth fabric, of course. Otherwise the holster would slide down and your other leg would be very sore from the friction.

How heavy is this handgun you're thinking of concealing this way? And is there any good reason not to carry it in some tuckable IWB?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wear a garter belt.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.