Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Glock 36 carry holster 
 Post subject: Glock 36 carry holster
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:59 pm 
Hello everyone! This is my first post on your wonderful forum, so please bear with me if this is a groaner subject that you have dealt with a thousand times before.

In patiently waiting on the arrival of my permit, I figured I would do my homework. Does anyone have any recommendations, either for or against specific concealment holsters for a Glock 36? I am more worried about comfort, but also don't need the general public to say "wow, that guy has a gun!!" Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum.

This question will produce many different responses.

You need to decide a few things first, Outside the Waist Band (OWB), Inside the Waist Band (IWB) or alternative carry (Fanny Pack, Ankle, Shoulder...)

Once you decide that then comes the Leather or Plastic question.

My self I use a Bianci Carry Lock (Model 82) which is a level 2 retention leather holster but I am somewhat of a troglodyte. Check out the holster swap part of the forum try as many types as you can borrow from friends and aquaintences and be prepared to buy a few you don't like. Most of us have a box o holsters we tried and did not like.

Good Luck

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum.

Holster decision is based on your mode of dress, the gun and for me temp.

I carry many different ways. Smartcarry, pocket, appendix and normal IWB and OWB. The belt is most important part of a holster system for IWB or OWB.

Provide some more info on what your looking for and we can provide some more suggestions. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:58 pm 
Allright, allright, rookie mistake. I apologize for being so terribly vague. :) I guess I'm hooked on the owb style. I really have nothing against the deep cover type of concealment (thunderwear, smartcarry etc.), or off the body carry, it's just not for me. I am really curious about the comfort and conceal qualities of the paddle holsters, since I really only have experience with the pancake style. Also pro's and con's of iwb holsters? I would be open to the opinion of people who have carried this particular model (Glock 36) with the iwb style. Comfortable...... yes/no? (Sitting and driving etc.) I've been looking online, but unfortunately a picture isn't always worth a thousand words.

Last edited by Stradawhovious on Thu May 17, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for the additional info. Very helpful.

With my body type paddle holsters don't work because they stick out away from the body to much. I like OWB holsters for the right mode of dress and temp. Pancake holsters are generally the most concealable IMHO.

I just made a holster "The Snap" for a private investigator for a J-frame because he needs to remove his gun when he goes into jails and court houses. I also made a Snap light holster to go with it. Do you need to remove the holster a lot or only once a day?

Depending on the gun you use, side protection is a big plus and is why I call my holsters Sideguard Holsters :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:16 pm 
I would want to remove at work, only because the general public can be leery of their salesman carrying. And my campus doesn't allow (after the Virginia Tech incident, I'm hoping they reconsider). But outside of that If it isn't prudent to carry I won't be so convienient removal isn't really high on my list of priorities. I haven't (until this last post) considered a custom holster...... Please tell me more! I get bored, and consider myself to be a craftsman I'd love to try my hand at a new craft. Also forgive the ignorance :oops: but please explain side protection.?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:43 am 
Longtime Regular

No problem. Side (being my love handles) does not like a gun or sharp edged mags poking me in the side. So, I make my holsters with a piece of leather that protects your side and the gun from your sweat.

I hope that helps. :)

Side Guard Holsters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Stradawhovious wrote:
I haven't (until this last post) considered a custom holster...... Please tell me more!

Srigs' custom holsters are priced better than most retail holsters.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:49 am 
I have noticed that after visiting the website earlier. Hey Srigs, do you have a storefront? I'd be very interested in looking at your handywork. Judging by the photos on the website you are more than competent. I'd love to take a hands on look at some of what you have to offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:55 am 
Longtime Regular

Nope - he doesn't have a store. If you poke around here in the holster threads you'll find out that Srigs is just a joe-sixpack guy who discovered he had a talent for making holsters.

I have a pocket holster and one of his.. what's he callit?..."The Slide" holsters and I love 'em. Use 'em just about every day. In fact - both of my holsters are on the front of his web page.

You can go and buy a Galco or Bianchi and you'll get a little shinier finish and maybe a little better look, but I don't buy holsters to show them off to anybody.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:28 am 
I'm not too worried about "shiny". As a matter of fact I sincerely hope that outside of the range and the nightstand, no one, for any reason will ever see my holster. I have a Galco for my EAA witness and it's okay, but a little bulky. (Looks like I have a loaf of bread under my shirt), but based on the prices I've seen on Srigs' website, why spend the money on the "big names"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

I can make them 'shiny' if you want! Just a different top coat. :wink:

Like here...

Side Guard Holsters

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.