Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Ankle Holster Recommendation 
 Post subject: Ankle Holster Recommendation
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:54 pm 

Before I go on, I did a search for "Ankle Holster." Nothing that stuck out.

I would like any recommendations for ankle holsters. I have a 340PD and a XD SubCompact 9mm. Is there any out there that could conceivably carry either or?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:46 am 

I was favorably impressed with the Galco Ankle Glove holster and plan eventually to get one for my J frame as a BUG system. I notice from their website that they do make it for the 2 guns that you said you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:13 pm 

I just stopped buy Steichers and bought a Uncle Mikes Law Enforcement #12. It says it fits any sub compact 3 9mm. I tried my 340pd in it for fun and it was stinking tight. There is no way my XD will fit in there. I tried it on...man those things hurt with the velcro all over. I will be returning it I think. Maybe the Galco is better? their website appears to be down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:08 pm 

The only time I've been able to reliably carry with an akle holster is when wearing combat boots. Mind you, it's a low priority issue for me. Were I to have a serious go at this method, I'd look into something nice like a Galco with the sheepskin pad and garter strap. Be sure to try walking around the house with it before venturing out. Some folks have issues related to their gait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:26 pm 

Mike wrote:
The only time I've been able to reliably carry with an akle holster is when wearing combat boots. Mind you, it's a low priority issue for me. Were I to have a serious go at this method, I'd look into something nice like a Galco with the sheepskin pad and garter strap. Be sure to try walking around the house with it before venturing out. Some folks have issues related to their gait.

I did see a galco. The sheep skin looked comfortable. I wish I could pop my gun in it before I buy it. Is this a bad option? ...A no no?

I am looking at it for church carry and instances where the pants/shirt don't lend to pocket carry or IWB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:41 pm 

The main problem with ankle carry is weight support. Your leg tapers down to the ankle, so there's no real body mass to hang the gun on. To correct for this you have to:
Strap it on so tight is restricts circulation.
or
Have a garter strap and transfer the weight onto your calf.
or
Have a boot top to rest it on.

That's why I've only used it with combat boots. even then, it's not ideal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:52 pm 

brauchma wrote:
I am looking at it for church carry and instances where the pants/shirt don't lend to pocket carry or IWB.

I you an Uncle Mike's for church carry while wearing dockers type slacks. So far nobody has noticed, or if they have, they haven't said anything.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.