Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Loose holster 
 Post subject: Loose holster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have an OWB holster for my Kahr P9. I can't remember what model it is right now, but in any case it's leather. With frequent use, some retention work, training, and frequent carry, the leather has stretched a bit. While it's not a big problem, it doesn't hold my gun quite as tight as I'd like it to. The strap used to be nice and tight to the back of the slide. It isn't any more. The nice snug fit to the gun that I love isn't quite there any more either.

I've heard that there are products out there that tighten leather up. I haven't been able to find any such products. I do really like this holster. Does anyone know of anything or used anything that works? Any advice?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Start with water.

* Soak the holster in lukewarm water for 20 minutes.

* Wrap your gun in plastic wrap (a bread bag works well).

* Put the gun in the holster and leave to air-dry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:58 pm 

I've done this to wet-form stiff holsters before. Be doubly sure you have a good layer of plastic over the gun to avoid surprises. I've used plastic grocery bags with good success. Don't use Saran Wrap as water WILL find a way in. DAMHIK...

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Start with water.

That is similar to what Cowboys use to do to a new set of boots (sans the plastic wrap). They would walk into a body of water, stand around for a while, then wear them all day. The next day they fit like a glove…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

It takes a might bit longer than a day to dry a good pair of boots. However, you will never have a better fitting pair of boots afterwords. :P

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Start with water.

Cool. Will that damage or crack the leather, or leave it weaker or any way worse? I've been a little nervous about sticking good leather in water. The other question about that, is that going to leave it stiff so I'd have to re-soften the parts I want soft?

Thank you for the response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

20 minutes soaking may be a little longer than necessary. I usually don't get them that wet. Damp, not soaked, has always worked for me. It will depend on the thickness of the leather too.

I also use a rounded dowel, wood or plastic, to form the leather around every detail of the handgun while in the dampened holster. You want the leather just soft enough to form but not totally soft so it won't hold the shape. It really helps the retention.

Works great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:57 am 
Longtime Regular

AGoodDay wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
Start with water.

Cool. Will that damage or crack the leather, or leave it weaker or any way worse? I've been a little nervous about sticking good leather in water. The other question about that, is that going to leave it stiff so I'd have to re-soften the parts I want soft?

Thank you for the response.

The soaking is exactly how holster-makers form the leather around the gun. It won't weaken the leather.

Using hot water, alcohol or other solvents MAY remove the natural oils in the leather, drying it out , which is why I recommend lukewarm water. If the leather seems a bit dry, a good leather conditioner is always a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks Andrew and all others who helped. I tried this last week. My holster is well molded around my gun, and actually snaps into place a little. It's so wonderful. *drool* The retention strap is still a little loose, might try another soak with that again, but otherwise it is molded beautifully to the gun. I appreciate it. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.