Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:00 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 SW M&P 9mm holster advice 
 Post subject: SW M&P 9mm holster advice
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:11 pm 

Well, I have the 4 inch barrel M&P 9mm....

If I were to entertain the C&C, what holsters work for you guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Depends on the situation and mode of dress.

If I were you, I'd look for an OWB pancake style holster first. If I recall right, you are a slightly bigger guy right? That will make IWB not as comfortable.

When it comes to IWB holsters, I'd take a serious look at a C-Tac with the J hooks. It allows you to tuck your shirt in over your gun.

What you really need to do is go to a gun shop and try on a few holsters. Streichers in Plymouth would be worth a try, they have a pretty good selection. The forum also has a loaner section that you could look in.

Also, get a gun belt, at least a 1.5" if you're going to carry a full size OWB.

I use a 5.11 operator belt. It's 1.75" and has a plastic stiffener in it.
The G22 rides in a SafariLand 328 thumbreak retension holster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

If you have to gun/degun frequently I would look into OWB Paddle Holster. Many vendors, I like Bianci, but Galco makes a nice one also. If it is adjustable for hight and cant then you can use it on either strong side or cross draw which is nice. CQC's are a cheap way to decide if you like the paddle option as they generally have a paddle with beltloops behind the paddle, so you can try both carry method. I generally don't care for CQC's retention system nor plastic holsters to begin with, but its a cheap holster. Price on a standard CQC at Cabelas is around $25 bucks. Most leather paddles will fun over $50 bucks

Mostly-

Post subject: Re: SW M&P 9mm holster advice
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:05 am 
The Man

biglakeba$$ wrote:
Well, I have the 4 inch barrel M&P 9mm....

If I were to entertain the C&C, what holsters work for you guys?
Dave Workman "Undershirt", probably; or one of Kevin's (K&D Holsters) or Srigs' or plblark's. (I need to do a full review on plblark's, once I get it back.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

For my MP40 compact, I use my The Slide and Double Clip with a single mag and light holder.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:20 am 
Longtime Regular

So... Did you end up finding something?

Do tell 8)

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:59 am 
Longtime Regular

You'll hear this advice several places: The belt makes a LOT of difference. A cheap belt can make an expensive holster feel bad. I waited a long time to finally get a GOOD belt designed to hold all that weight securely. I eventually ended up with a Beltman belt.

Here's his ad from American Handgunner:
Quote:
THE BELTMAN makes top quality gun belts that look great with dress or casual wear. Plain clothes cops and CCW holders NEED a sturdy belt! Constructed of TWO layers of 7 oz. BULL HIDE in three widths and five colors from $49.95. Hand made, one at a time, ANY LENGTH! Now available in Shark Catalog $1.00.
THE BELTMAN 919-387-1997
www.thebeltman.net

I ended up with a nice 1.5" black belt with sewn in velcro lining.

What I usually end up doing is a custom home made IWB holster with the CTAC V-clips which are Velcro. That way I can change the cant and the only thing visible is above the belt line. Buy an extra set of clips. I haven't broken one of theirs yet but it would be an awfully silly reason to have the whole system go down because a small piece of plastic broke :-)

If I were buying a holster for IWB, I'd look at the CompTac C.T.A.C. or their new M.T.A.C. (IIRC) I'd also look at "The Answer" from Tucker.

For the budget minded or those who like to support the local craftsman, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Srigs from SideGuardHolsters. Not only are his holsters nice, they hold the gun securely, he's local and approachable.

Last edited by plblark on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:25 am 

I have not bought anything yet.
At this time, I am feeling things out, in preperation of if/when I decide to carry.

Thanks for the info guys.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.