Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Thunderwear Holsters 
 Post subject: Thunderwear Holsters
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

DOes anyone have any experience with the Thunderwear Holster. It seems reasonable for the Target and Excel Center situations. I am considering one for just such situations.....
of course I will really put a lot of trust in my 1911 in condition 1 hovering in and around the boys...... :shock:

Last edited by hammAR on Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well.............. were it an H&K USP........... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

....I could always stuff in the S&W M29......end of the barrel would be just above my knee............. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've used a SmartCarry, a refinement of Thunderwear, for 2-1/2 years.

In general I'm very positive about them: They permit me to carry completely unobserved in any mode of dress.

I wrote this over two years ago on The High Road, and it's still mostly true:

Quote:
I've been using the SmartCarry holster for the last 61 days.

It is nearly perfect!

I carry a Ruger P95, a 9mm with a 4" barrel, which is not a small gun by any means, everywhere I go.

I have worn it with shorts, jeans and slacks.

I have worn it at home, while shopping, doing yard work and just walking down the street.

Last week I wore it to an amusement park and went on a corkscrew ride that turned me upside down repeatedly. No problem.

Is it safe? I think it is.

When the gun is holstered, like any good holster, the trigger guard is covered and protected.

When worn correctly, unless carrying a mouse gun, the barrel points down between your legs, not at your family jewels.

As the web site says, to draw, you hook your weak side thumb into your waistband and pull out. you draw straight up using the butt of the gun.

It is actually pretty easy.

Let me emphasize: no one knows I am carrying. Even my wife can't tell without, well, grabbing at me.

I like that I can wear this holster with a suit, or with shorts and a t-shirt -- or even no t-shirt!

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1) You need room in your pants for the gun. No painted-on jeans!

2) How can I put this delicately? I switched from briefs to boxers, in order to carry my original equipment in a muzzle-down position.

3) If you're like me, and it's summer, there will be perspiration down there!

Although moisture can't come through the back of the holster, it seems to go around. To combat this, I use the Sentry brand Marine Tuf-Cloth protectant. Nonetheless, I am seeing a little bit of rust stain on the holster itself. (This may be an issue with any IWB.) I should have paid the extra $35 for the stainless model!

Overall, I love this holster. I don't want to wear a vest, second shirt, a belt, or a jacket all the time. With this, I wear what I want and stay comfortable all day.

Oh, and I'm not a paid spokesman, just a satisfied customer.

That said, there are some drawbacks: When you wear it with jeans, abrasion will eventually wear a hole through the first layer of the front cloth panel (mine did in about a year). The manufacturer suggest a piece of duct tape. :roll: I actually ended up using a piece of cloth gaffer's tape.

Also, the elastic eventually stretches. I think two years of every-day carry may be the max.

Third, it is not a quick draw when sitting down: your torso blocks the draw. How much of a problem this is depends on how big a belly you have, your seat back angle, tightness of clothing and other stuff in the way (like seat belts).

Still, it is my default mode of carry, and allows me to dress as I please.

Last edited by Andrew Rothman on Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Thank you for the very complete review! ;)

I may have to pick one up.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Thanks Andrew this is what I was looking for...................

Post subject: Re: Thunderwear Holsters
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:02 am 
The Man

hammAR wrote:
DOes anyone have any experience with the Thunderwear Holster. It seems reasonable for the Target and Excel Center situations. I am considering one for just such situations.....
of course I will really put a lot of trust in my 1911 in condition 3 hovering in and around the boys...... :shock:
I'm a big believer in Thunderwear -- it works surprisingly well.

That said, it works better with something short and round-butted -- and, by an interesting coincidence, that brings me back to suggesting a snubby....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Joel, we haven't even met and you are already calling me short, round bottomed, and snubby..... :D

Seriously, thanks for the input. Even though the majority of my collection is all 1911's, and a single Glock M30.

However, I have been looking very seriously at a S & W 442. BUT (and that is a big but) 5 shots (?) and then what....do you also carry a speed loader in the extra pocket? I just have never been a wheel-gunner, but there is a certain attractiveness to the 442-especially with the laser as the SO doesn't like 1911's, but she would consider this, so it would become our weapon (first one and first time)..................

help me with the road-block......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:27 am 
The Man

hammAR wrote:
Joel, we haven't even met and you are already calling me short, round bottomed, and snubby..... :D

Seriously, thanks for the input. Even though the majority of my collection is all 1911's, and a single Glock M30.

However, I have been looking very seriously at a S & W 442. BUT (and that is a big but) 5 shots (?) and then what....do you also carry a speed loader in the extra pocket? I just have never been a wheel-gunner, but there is a certain attractiveness to the 442-especially with the laser as the SO doesn't like 1911's, but she would consider this, so it would become our weapon (first one and first time)..................

help me with the road-block......
I almost never carry a speedloader; I do, fairly frequently but not always, carry a SpeedStrip -- less bulk.

And, of course, less speed.

Realistically, having looked for cases of survivable civilian self-defense where five shots wasn't enough, I've found precisely one; my own take is that if five won't do it, I'm not going to survive anyway. The huge advantage that revolvers have is in practical firepower -- with a five-shot snubby, you will have five shots, without any need to remember tap-invert-rack-bang or, for that matter, that clearing a double feed just plain isn't going to happen if you need for it to.

(Yes, I know that most semiautos hold more rounds -- but the number of times that I've seen semis choke persuades me that "five for sure" is, all in all, more than "fifteen probably.")

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:38 am 
Longtime Regular

I think that you have done it.

While I am not worried about my utilization of an auto due to real world experience, I am seriously concerned with my SO's abilities. I think that the 442 will be the weapon of choice for her purse/car carry, and I can use it occasionally as the need arises with my Thunderwear....thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

There are some differences between Thunderwear and SmartCarry -- the SmartCarry has a patented design that keeps seams from snagging on the gun.

As I've never seens a Thunderwear rig up close, I can't say whether it's a real advantage or marketing hype.

Also, I may know a local retailer of SmartCarry -- I'll report back soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks Andrew.........

Could one of the moderators please move this to the Holsters section, I started it in an incorrect section......sorry :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:43 pm 
Journeyman Member

I recently ordered directly from SmartCarry online at www.smartcarry.com , and the personal attention from Charles (Charlie)W. Parrott, III, the owner of the business, was refreshing to see in this age of impersonal transactions. This guy cares about his business, and I'm happy to support it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:07 pm 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
There are some differences between Thunderwear and SmartCarry -- the SmartCarry has a patented design that keeps seams from snagging on the gun.

As I've never seens a Thunderwear rig up close, I can't say whether it's a real advantage or marketing hype.
Well, as a service to the community -- I do this stuff so the rest of you don't have to -- I've ordered a Smartcarry, so I'll be able to make a comparison with Thunderwear.

As part of that, I've repeatedly tried to snag guns on T-wear's seams, just to see if it could be done, and I can't. (I'm not saying that it's utterly impossible, but I've tried with several guns that aren't well-rounded for carry, as well as those that are.)

Ditto for catching the trigger on something when holstering (spent a fair amount of time with a you-wouldn't-believe-how-many-times-I-checked-it unloaded gun) trying to do just that, and I couldn't even get an unwanted click by holstering with my finger inside the trigger guard (something that, of course, I can't caution too strongly against).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:30 pm 
Journeyman Member

joelr wrote:
As part of that, I've repeatedly tried to snag guns on T-wear's seams, just to see if it could be done, and I can't. (I'm not saying that it's utterly impossible, but I've tried with several guns that aren't well-rounded for carry, as well as those that are.)

Ditto for catching the trigger on something when holstering (spent a fair amount of time with a you-wouldn't-believe-how-many-times-I-checked-it unloaded gun) trying to do just that,

Good thing to check twice - we wouldn't want to have the world's loudest briss, would we?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.