Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:07 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Question, Strong Side, OWB, hip draw 
 Post subject: Question, Strong Side, OWB, hip draw
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:24 pm 

Ok guys, Permit should be coming in this week, or next, and I was testing holster placement on my strong side to see where abouts I would carry. I have a SERPA for 1911 and one for my USP. Paddle or belt.

My question is, how does it work out for carrying right above where you carry your wallet? (about the 4 O'clock) or have you transitioned to your left side for your wallet? This would just be on normal jeans, not 5.11 pants or anything fancy.

I wouldn't have placed it back so far except that I noticed Joel carrying that far back at my class, and also a guy at the range with the same setup (1911 in SERPA) that seemed to have gotten it pretty tight in, but in that location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

I carry at about 3:30 with any of my holsters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

It is very dependent on body shape, and what feels comfortable. One reason to move it back is so that your front-view profile looks symmetrical. The gun is "behind" your hip.

The Serpa is an excellent holster -- I have one, and like it -- but it is far from the best concealment holster, because it sticks out a lot, compared to, say, a good pancake holster.

I pretty much use it for open carry and for steel shoots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:31 pm 
On time out

Put the wallet on the opposite side of the weapon. Gun on right, wallet on left, feels odd at first, but then you are not revealing your covered weapon every time you reach for your wallet.

Also if asked for your license by a police man, and you declare I have a carry permit, the weapon is on the right I am reaching for my wallet in my left rear pocket, they tend to be more relieved with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
The Serpa is an excellent holster -- I have one, and like it -- but it is far from the best concealment holster, because it sticks out a lot, compared to, say, a good pancake holster.

Agreed. I have a Serpa that I really like, but it is reserved for open carry and soon to be my IDPA holster.

When I do carry my Beretta 92, it's in a Bianchi Carrylok pancake at about 3:30. I can't say enough good things about that holster...comfortable, holds nice and close, has push-button retention, etc.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:42 pm 

My guess is that you'll find yourself moving your wallet to your weak side back pocket or to a front pocket.

As for holster placement, you'll find a comfortable spot. It'll most likely be past 3:00 and before 5:00. At 3:00 you are too wide. Too far back and you'll be uncomfortable when sitting in a chair.

The holster's cant will also make a difference in how you wear it. A canted holster is easier to wear further back both in terms of comfort and draw.

Skin that smokewagon and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:45 pm 
The Man

Obviously it works for me; I switched to carrying my wallet on my weak side when I first started carrying, some years ago, and find it uncomfortable anywhere else.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:15 pm 

Thanks guys, yeah the moving of the wallet is going to feel weird, but again, so is carrying a concealed handgun everyday (that I'm stateside). I guess it's something I'll just get used to.

I like the Serpa holsters... I actually just remembered that my 1911 makes #3. I have one for a Beretta on the dropleg platform for Army use, and the USP and 1911.

Of course I used to carry my knife on my weak side in the wallet pocket, so now I gotta figure out where that's going to go! :bang:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

EricMN wrote:
Of course I used to carry my knife on my weak side in the wallet pocket, so now I gotta figure out where that's going to go! :bang:

In my case, knife fits neatly clipped in the same pocket as the wallet (weak side). Strong side is for the .380 in holster. Course, I've got a small (and often very empty) wallet.

Even if I don't have the .380 with me, the wallet stays on the weak side. After a couple of weeks, it gets natural.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:57 pm 

I had to learn the lesson with both the wallet and the Blackberry. I am used to wearing both on my right side after many years of doing so, and I had to train myself to put both on the left side. You will get used to the different feeling after a while, and it will become normal for you to carry them on the weak side even if you aren't carrying at the moment.

-Scott

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:55 am 

Scott A wrote:
I had to learn the lesson with both the wallet and the Blackberry. I am used to wearing both on my right side after many years of doing so, and I had to train myself to put both on the left side.

I went through the same thing. It didn't take a lot of imagination to figure out that answering my Glock would be a bad idea. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Fubar wrote:
Scott A wrote:
I had to learn the lesson with both the wallet and the Blackberry. I am used to wearing both on my right side after many years of doing so, and I had to train myself to put both on the left side.

I went through the same thing. It didn't take a lot of imagination to figure out that answering my Glock would be a bad idea. :D

Only if it talks back :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:08 am 

mrokern wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Agreed. I have a Serpa that I really like, but it is reserved for open carry and soon to be my IDPA holster.

When I do carry my Beretta 92, it's in a Bianchi Carrylok pancake at about 3:30. I can't say enough good things about that holster...comfortable, holds nice and close, has push-button retention, etc.

-Mark

+1 on the Carrylok. I didn't think it would be possible for Mark to effectively conceal his Beretta 92 in an OWB holster (shows what I knew, lol), but that pancake holter does quite nicely when he's wearing a cover garment. I'm thinking about picking one up for my XD-9. If it can conceal his Beretta, it can conceal my Springfield.

+1 on the Serpa as well. GREAT holster, but not much good for anything other than sport and OC. Love the speed with which you can draw from it though, and the fact that it reinforces good trigger habits.

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:49 pm 

I'm going to have to look into the carrylocks...

I did switch my phone/Gerber and my wallet to my weak side... man, it felt weird, but I'm kinda used to it already. the thing I don't like is in ACUs I carry my gerber to the rear of the 3/9 O'clock belt loop, and on the left side it was catching on the bucket seats, pushing forward... might have to rethink location (or just see how it works on civilian pants)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:28 pm 

+1 on the Bianchi CarryLok line. I carry my 24/7 Pro Compact daily in the CarryLok #82 cut for the Glock 19 - works perfectly. High, tight, secure, totally comfortable. I'm on the I-94 corridor for about 200-miles per day and I don't even notice it while driving (and to me that's one of the biggest "carry" tests with regards to comfort).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.