Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:06 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Gage Gun Leather (from years ago)... 
 Post subject: Gage Gun Leather (from years ago)...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:17 pm 

Does anyone know what became of Gage Gun Leather? I had him make some custom holsters for me a long time ago. One of my favorites enabled me to carry in a conventional vertical shoulder holster configuration, but without the harnessing or printing across the shoulders, etc. This concept was extremely simple and effective. (My break-in/confidence-building period included mowing the yard, changing the oil on the truck and other challenging movements for gun & holster).

The main shank running the length of the rig is an extremely rigid metal stay. The hip contour is similar to today's paddles. The saddle itself is basic and stitched to the main shank. One unanticipated benny was the ability to push the gun back at an angle with the back of my left arm; far enough that I could open a sportcoat to display my carry status (or appearance otherwise). Keeping my elbow in slightly, the piece was totally obscured. When entering a room with old friends, I'd be chided sometimes with, "You packin'?" and I could keep my elbows in, yet spread my jacket wide open and no one would see the gun, hidden behind my left triceps. The bottom of the saddle hits the waistline and prevents the gun from dropping lower than this point. Extremely effective with suits, jackets and untucked shirts (if you need the crossdraw option and above the waist).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

That is really interesting. It doesn't fasten to the belt or waistband at all except for tucking in, and the muzzle end of the holster resting on top of the belt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:33 pm 

10-4. Ridiculously simple. The paddle is almost suede in texture, clinging well. I am short (5'8"), so my frame helps control the gun to some degree, since I can lower my shoulder and essentially push the holster down with my armpit - although that really isn't necessary - just a habit I started when I was unsure of the holster. I have NEVER come close to losing my weapon and as I mentioned, I've done everything you can think of with it. But, typically I'd only use this in a formal (or business casual) setting and toting a large auto.

I tried to find Gage to have some stuff made for my 24/7, but he seems to have fallen off the planet. May have officially retired or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Definitely an interesting holster. Never seen one like that before.

Ever have a problem with it 'leaning' forwards or backwards or attempting to 'slide up'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:43 pm 

No... but, to be fair, I'm conscience of it being there and probably keep it in-check intuitively by snugging it occasionally with my arm. I think you would be surprised how secure it stays. I tend to pull it forward (tilted slightly) when I draw, but my armpit would keep it from falling out under any other circumstances. With popularity of molded holsters, I suspect this same rig today would be available in a true custom fit and retention would be that much more secure. I'm very comfortable using this holster in the right situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

That id a VERY interesting design. Add a couple leather tabs and some velcro for those of us with velcro lined belts and you'd be even more sure it wouldn't pop out. My problem would be getting the metal piece but I suppose it's just a flay straight piece of stiff metal.

Thanks for sharing. I may have to attempt this design at some point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Long Ago LEO wrote:
No... but, to be fair, I'm conscience of it being there and probably keep it in-check intuitively by snugging it occasionally with my arm. I think you would be surprised how secure it stays. I tend to pull it forward (tilted slightly) when I draw, but my armpit would keep it from falling out under any other circumstances. With popularity of molded holsters, I suspect this same rig today would be available in a true custom fit and retention would be that much more secure. I'm very comfortable using this holster in the right situations.

Thank you for your reply. I think this is the exact type of holster I'm looking for. Now if only I could find one somewhere. :?

IWB, OWB, SOB just don't seem to fit like I want them to and be 'outta the way' of wallet & keys and with my upper body being 'taller' than most people, I find it hard to find really long shirts to be worn as concealment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Very cool design. I would change it slightly but it would work.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:48 am 

Srigs - Go for it! I've seen some of your work and you're da' man. I think some folks could utilize this design. While there's not much more to see than what is pictured, I can certainly get this one to you, so you can see its strengths or weaknesses in real application. I don't have the need to use it much anymore, since I normally carry a 24/7 Pro C and it does not fit this holster. I'd likely be one of your first buyers though, if you fabricated this system that fit my 24/7. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:55 am 

plblark - I sure didn't mean to slight you with respect to an up-close look at the holster. I'm just a pup on this forum and didn't realize you were dabbling in holsters, too. You guys pass it around and see who can bring it to market first. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:33 am 
Journeyman Member

plblark wrote:
That id a VERY interesting design. Add a couple leather tabs and some velcro for those of us with velcro lined belts and you'd be even more sure it wouldn't pop out. My problem would be getting the metal piece but I suppose it's just a flay straight piece of stiff metal.

Thanks for sharing. I may have to attempt this design at some point

I don't make holsters, but having done some costume work and some of it in leather and other thick materials, the metal would be pretty easy. Depending how stiff you wanted it, you could use a cut-down-in-length metal ruler (some flex) or a cut-down-in-length metal corset stay (less flex). When I've done this, I've dipped the cut ends of the metal in a bit of that rubber tool handle coating stuff before sewing in to help insure the metal doesn't work its way through the stitching. Just a thought. I'm sure the holster-makers on the board have all kinds of ideas on construction too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:54 am 
The Man

Srigs wrote:
Very cool design. I would change it slightly but it would work.
I want one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Long Ago LEO wrote:
plblark - I sure didn't mean to slight you with respect to an up-close look at the holster. I'm just a pup on this forum and didn't realize you were dabbling in holsters, too. You guys pass it around and see who can bring it to market first. :lol:

No problem. I make holsters to support my holster drawer. Srigs took that next step and made a business out of it. I recommend him whenever I can because it's good to see the local guy make good especially when he has a good product. I figured we'd try and do a holster making night once he had it to look over.

GunGirl: Thanks for the advice, that's a great idea. Where would I get Corset stays? I don't exactly have extras laying around :-). The Rubber tool grip stuff is an excellent idea.

Aside: We should schedule a holster making get together soon. I need to do some work anyway and the prospect of a different type of holster is just that much more fun.

Srigs: May 5th? Would you be willing to host again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:50 pm 
Journeyman Member

plblark wrote:
GunGirl: Thanks for the advice, that's a great idea. Where would I get Corset stays? I don't exactly have extras laying around :-). The Rubber tool grip stuff is an excellent idea.

Last time I used any it was years ago and states away, and I found them at a specialty sewing store. I know they are available online but have not used any of the websites so can't recommend one (gotten out of my costume habit the last few years ... let's just say I have an odd array of hobbies). I did have good success with cut-down metal rulers, about 1" wide, the type a graphic artist or draftsman might use. They have some flex but are stiff enough to not bend too easily or permanently, are lightweight relative to some other metals, and tend to not rust too easily or anything which is good when talking about something against the body for long durations. Stainless steel or something else less prone to rusting would be preferable. Hope that helps. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:09 pm 

plblark - I can PM you a source of stays and other stock metals - probably tomorrow. Will check with some Orthotists that I know who are proficient in metal, plastic and leather. One of them made me an ankle holster for my M85 about 15-years or so ago. Would post pics, but I think that holster is on the boat somewhere.

Srigs - if interested in seeing this Gage holster up close, PM me with some info, so I can get it to you.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.