Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:38 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 BART Police Shoot unarmed handcuffed man in the back 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:38 pm 

tman065 wrote:
RLS59 wrote:
tman065 wrote:
I really would love to be able to do my job without carrying any weapon other than my mind. (Think Columbo - or Andy Taylor even).

Become a Federal Corrections Officer. You can work a unit with 200 + convicted felons and only have what’s between your ears for a weapon.

I worked our jail for 3 years. No thanks. :wink:

I have been doing it for over 19 years. There were good times and then times you wish you could forget. The thing is you try to learn from every day.
You do get to meet some interesting people. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

RLS59 wrote:

I have been doing it for over 19 years. There were good times and then times you wish you could forget. The thing is you try to learn from every day.
You do get to meet some interesting people. :wink:

My standard spiel for the young'uns that are bummed that they have to "start off" working in the jail.

I tell them: "The jail is a great place to work. You get to learn who the badguys are and interact with them on a daily basis. You'll be seeing them over and over and over again. (I'm on my 2nd and 3rd generations of some local families).
"They WILL remember how you treated them when they were in the can. It might someday make all the difference between you versus 4 or 5 guys in a fight somewhere, or maybe no fight at all - just because one of them remembers that you weren't an asshole when they were in jail."

My hat's off to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:07 am 

I agree. New officers that can keep their mouths closed, eyes and ears open will learn more working in a Jail in 6 months then they would on the streets in 2 years. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Johannes Mehserle arrested on a murder warrant:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 15A08A.DTL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:09 am 
Poet Laureate

DeanC wrote:
Johannes Mehserle arrested on a murder warrant:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 15A08A.DTL

:D
In Nevada, no less.
Careful there Mehserle, Nevadans might just shoot back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

clipped story:
Quote:
Lawyer: Transit cop may have pulled wrong gun
By TERRY COLLINS
1/31/09
Full story
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — The transit officer who shot and killed an unarmed man may have mistakenly pulled his service pistol instead of a stun gun, his lawyer said Friday.

Defense attorney Michael Rains made the argument during a bail hearing for 27-year-old Johannes Mehserle. Alameda County Superior Court Judge Morris Jacobson later set bail at $3 million.

Jacobson said he set the high amount in part because he considered Mehserle a flight risk after the former officer fled to Nevada during the initial investigation.

Mehserle has pleaded not guilty to one count of murder in the death of 22-year-old Oscar Grant, who was killed early New Year's Day.

Rains argued Friday that witness accounts indicate that Mehserle meant to draw his Taser but instead pulled his pistol. The lawyer blamed inexperience by the young officer, who joined the department in March 2007 and passed his Taser user certification test on Dec. 3

The judge also noted inconsistencies in the defendant's account of the shooting.

"He has the willingness to add to the story, to change the story, to make up something that's not true to avoid consequences," said Jacobson, who imposed a temporary gag order in the case until the next hearing, on Feb. 10.

- I think you would get quite a bit of experience in 1 year and 9 months on the force in Oakland.
- It looks like the judge doesntt trust this guy at all!

edit:spelling

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Last edited by PocketProtector642 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:27 pm 
The Man

Hey, he just made a mistake. He thought the guy was an underage Hmong child, there was a door present, that he was in Minneapolis . . . he was expecting a medal, not an indictment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:45 pm 
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Rains argued Friday that witness accounts indicate that Mehserle meant to draw his Taser but instead pulled his pistol. The lawyer blamed inexperience by the young officer, who joined the department in March 2007 and passed his Taser user certification test on Dec. 3

Aw, is that all it was? Inexperience? Well heck, lets get him tasering people more often! :roll:

Especially in non threatening situations, where tasers aren't necessary, in order to reduce the risk - like, say, we'll come up with a training situation with three other officers hold down an unarmed man... or we'll have some guy ask a former presidential candidate a question in a public setting... or maybe we could even set up a broken taillight traffic stop by a female driver half his size...

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:03 pm 

Judge rules enough evidence to hold officer on murder charge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:43 am 
Longtime Regular

This guy needs to go away. Preferably for life.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There are many jobs which have certain tasks that you just don't get to fuck up. Law enforcement is one of those jobs, and the use of deadly force is one of those tasks.

Bus drivers don't get to crash into crowds of people. Bank employees don't get to let people into the vault. And cops don't get to shoot people in the back.

No mercy. Mistake or not. Either he cold-bloodedly shot the guy, or he was too damn twitchy to be carrying a gun in the first place, much less a badge. This is one that you don't get to fuck up...and he fucked up.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Held on 1st degree murder charges...

I wonder how the California criminal code defines first degree murder...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.