Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 SWAT team kills 2 dogs in a flaky set-up and raid 
 Post subject: SWAT team kills 2 dogs in a flaky set-up and raid
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

So it sounds like the SWAT team delivered a 32 lb package of marijuana that this guy didn't order, then they came back and kicked down the door and shot his dogs.

Quote:
SWAT team kills 2 dogs in raid on Md. mayor's home

Thursday, July 31, 2008

BERWYN HEIGHTS, Md. _ A SWAT team raided the home of a Washington, D.C.-area mayor, killing his two black Labrador retrievers and seizing an unopened package of marijuana delivered there.

Prince George's County Police said Berwyn Heights Mayor Cheye Calvo brought a 32-pound package of marijuana into his home that had been delivered by officers posing as delivery men. The Tuesday evening raid was conducted by county police narcotics officers and a sheriff's office SWAT Team.

The package was addressed to Calvo's wife, Trinity Tomsic. His mother-in-law had asked the supposed delivery men to leave the package outside. Calvo has not been charged, though police said he, his wife and his mother-in-law are "persons of interest" in an ongoing investigation.

"We never opened the box. We have nothing to do with this box," Calvo said.

Sheriff's office spokesman Sgt. Mario Ellis says deputies "apparently felt threatened" when they shot the dogs.

Calvo said officers entered about 7:30 p.m., first shooting 7-year-old Payton. They then pursued 4-year-old Chase, who ran away and was shot by police from behind, he said.

Calvo said he doesn't have any idea how the package ended up at his house. He called the raid "the most traumatic experience" of his life.

Calvo, who called his town "Mayberry inside the Capital Beltway," gets a small stipend as mayor and works at the SEED Foundation, a nonprofit that runs public boarding schools for at-risk students. His wife works as a state finance officer.

"These were two beautiful black Labradors who were well-known in the community. We walked them twice a day; little kids knew their names and would come up to them and pet them," he said.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Candygram....

I wonder how many medals for valor they will get?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

If I had a nickel for every vicious blood thirsty black lab I've run into...

I'd owe somebody money.

Ran down and shot from behind. Yup sounds like an attack dog to me.

More cops to give the rest bad names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:29 pm 
Wise Elder

TOTAL BOTCH. They went in too fast.

The box has to be open in order to allow a fact-finder to infer KNOWING possession. When I was a prosecutor, we "instructed" our police to wait 30 minutes before entry. Often that wasn't long enough. They sure weren't going to smoke 32 pounds in an hour (or flush it down the toilet in one dump).

Anyone can send you a box of anything by UPS (even the po-po).

Last edited by kimberman on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:43 pm 
The Man

kimberman wrote:
TOTAL BOTCH. They went in too fast.
Nah. Not if what they wanted to do was kill a couple of dogs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm shocked. this kind of thing almost never happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:02 pm 
The Man

bensdad wrote:
I'm shocked. this kind of thing almost never happens.
Well, maybe the dogs talked back to the cops.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:23 am 
Longtime Regular

So what legal premise do they use to send a box of drugs? Do they set up a deal with the alleged beforehand and then deliver it?

What happens if I get a box I don't remember ordering? Do I call the police and have them open it out in the street off of my property so I am not guilty of knowingly possessing?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Might be more to the story, but on the surface it looks a little like entrapment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:57 pm 
The Man

bensdad wrote:
Might be more to the story, but on the surface it looks a little like entrapment.
Depends on whether the cops sent the package, or knew of a package being sent by, say, some criminals, and intercepted it (lawfully, and all). Assuming the latter, as Kimberman pointed out, they screwed up, even forgetting the puppycide.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Officers responsible for setting up this sting should be flipping burgers or "down at the car wash" with towels in hand. .. . got to start creating consequences.

I don't know if they tazed, pepper sprayed or flash banged when MPD hit my house on the bad warrant. . . I do know the dogs crapped all over and seemed really out of it when we got home to that mess. Guess I am glad they didn't kill my dogs outright, but one developed problems and the St Bernard had to be put down shortly thereafter.

I feel for this Calvo fella, at least the raid against his family involved actual drugs albeit drugs sent by the cops. . . MPD had less cause, not even an alegation of a crime when they hit us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Poor, poor dogs. :cry: I have a real hard time with some of the things people can get away with doing to animals. People are protected by the law (when it works). Someone will stand up for the mayor. But animals are largely unprotected. The [heavy sarcasm] heroic officer [/heavy sarcasm] who chased down and shot a terrified, fleeing dog won't have to do anything worse than pay a small fine, IF that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

> a 32-pound package of marijuana

About the size of a bale of hay? Maybe he was just going to spend a weekend in Santa Fe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:11 pm 

Maybe the officer thought the dog was going to run and get his gang and come back and get them. :evil:

I would wage a war of public humiliation against these officers, starting with some posters of the dogs with a title of "Who killed me? Ask officer (insert name here with picture)"

Seeing as it is documented, it would not be libel as it is factual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:38 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

I went to high school with Cheye. He was a year or two behind me. We even dated the same girl, at different times, of course.

From what I remember, he was one of the fringe rocker/new wave types, but I never heard anything about him using or dealing drugs. Seemed to be a pretty decent kid, at least at the time.

The Prince George's County Police has a very long history of being brutal "thumpers". I wouldn't put anything past them.

I still have a bunch of contacts there. I'll try to see what the skinny is.

Small world.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
So what legal premise do they use to send a box of drugs? Do they set up a deal with the alleged beforehand and then deliver it?

What happens if I get a box I don't remember ordering? Do I call the police and have them open it out in the street off of my property so I am not guilty of knowingly possessing?

No, they don't need a premise. A few years (or maybe a decade or so) Patty Hearst came home and found a package on her doorstep. She didn't recognize the return address, so she called the telephone number which turned out to be a pay phone. So she did not bring the package inside, instead she called the cops. Minutes later the DEA showed up, ready to arrest her. They were stymied by two things: 1) she had not brought the package inside and 2) she'd called the cops.

I also remember reading about a firearm kit maker who pissed off the BATFEces, so they grabbed a parcel going to his house from a vendor and added some machine gun parts. The only thing that saved him from prison time was that his wife had signed for it and didn't open it, but as part of his agreement for them to drop the charges he had to shut down his business.

So, yes, if you get a box you don't remember ordering, don't bring it inside and don't open it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.