Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:18 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 MN Trooper Dashcam:Legitimate traffic stop or abuse of power 
 Post subject: MN Trooper Dashcam:Legitimate traffic stop or abuse of power
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Watch the Dashcam here: http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/ ... 1021811607

Quote:
Legitimate traffic stop or abuse of power? Watch the video yourself

A state trooper stopped a Hudson man and arrested him for evading an officer. But the man says he was simply looking for a safe place to pull stop with his kids in the car.

Sam Salter was packed in his mini-van heading home to Hudson after at family New Year's Eve party in St. Paul.

Salter was headed eastbound at about 10:30 p.m. when a trooper put on her lights and sirens behind him. He was in the far left lane and immediately signaled to move to the right.

He says he got to the far right lane and there was nowhere to pull off because the shoulder was ice and snow and he wanted a safe place to pull over with his kids in the car, and it was dark.

He immediately got on the 61 exit and at the end of the exit takes an immediate right to a road. The trooper, Sgt. Carrie Rindal, thinks he is evading an officer and does a PIT maneuver on him (rams his van) to force him to stop.

He then and jumped out screaming, "What are you doing? I have kids in the car."

With her gun drawn and pointed at Salter, the trooper then pats him down with screaming kids in car and takes him to squad car to inform him he is under arrest and going to jail for the felony of evading an officer.

The kids stayed in van until mom arrives to pick them up.

Salter was taken to jail where he stays for almost two days. His kids ages two, three, six, all saw the altercation with the trooper and are traumatized.

Salter was not charged with the felony by Ramsey County because the county attorney said there was insufficient evidence that he was fleeing.

He was left with $1,500 damage to his van, a ticket for illegal lane change and a $140 towing fee.

Rindal is not on paid administrative leave and has been a trooper for 11 years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:57 pm 

Who in their right mind after being pulled over with lights and siren would get out of their vehicle in such a hostile manner?
The Officer got a little carried away and the driver of the van didn't exactly do the right thing either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:11 pm 

mnmike59 wrote:
Who in their right mind after being pulled over with lights and siren would get out of their vehicle in such a hostile manner?
The Officer got a little carried away and the driver of the van didn't exactly do the right thing either.

Yes, his reaction was "questionable".

As a person that respects the law, her actions were well past questionable.

She needs to be held to a higher standard, simply because she has the job she does. She also needs to learn to calm her overzealousness.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:51 pm 
On time out

He CLEARLY is reacting to her signal in submissive manner. slows way down, signals turns, exits the freeway. Hitting his car is so far over the line that she should be fired Immediately and all damages awarded should come from her accrued retirement.

THis BS that they know when they flash the lights that they want you to stop at a place they feel is safe is a shovel full, he was in the middles lanes, by the time he had successfully and safely left the interstate, he was at least a mile or so from where she had made the decision, HE was acting in a manner to PROTECT her and his kids from stopping on the freeway on NewYears eve. She should in fact have said "Gee, I appreciate your desire to have this conversation in a safe place for us both, but in the future stop sooner when you see the lights." She Effed up bad, needs to take her medicine, and polish up the resume by saying "would you like Fries with that"

The pics of her with her finger on the trigger are enough to wonder what the cost of the therapy for the three kids would have been if she had twitched or if she or he had slipped on the ice and that finger tightened up just a hair more......

Last edited by 1911fan on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
and polish up the resume by saying "would you like Fries with that"
You beat me to it. She needs to learn to calm while engineering sandwiches . . . The job market is overflowwing with people better suited to her job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:09 am 
On time out

Watching the video, seeing her appearance, I have a whole range of emotions regarding how she got to be a Sergeant.

Leaving the kids in the car alone, she should be cited for child endangerment and neglect as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:39 am 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
Watching the video, seeing her appearance, I have a whole range of emotions regarding how she got to be a Sergeant.

Leaving the kids in the car alone, she should be cited for child endangerment and neglect as well.

Perhaps wreckless driving for her ramming his van needlessly, and assault with a deadly weapon for drawing down on him as well.

Infact I think I'll call the State Patrol office tomorrow, state what I saw on the news and request that her employment be terminated immediatly and all cost associated with this be taken from her retirement as Pete said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Infact, I'll post the contact info right here so that everyone can make a "concerned" call:

The Chief: Mark A Dunaski Public Safety Dept Mark.Dunaski@state.mn.us 651/201-7117

The Front Desk: (651) 201-7100

or

Perhaps you'd like to call Sgt. Rindal herself:
Carrie C Rindal Public Safety Dept Carrie.Rindal@state.mn.us 651/779-5900

I sure as fuck don't want that hot-headed moron with a badge and a gun on the streets that I drive on, let alone walking free.

ETA:

Here's the contact info for her local branch office:

East Metro District Office: Oakdale

Station Offices: Cottage Grove, Hastings, St. Paul, Oakdale, Richfield, Forest Lake

Counties Served: Anoka, Chisago, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, Washington

Capt. Cheri Frandrup
(651) 779-5914

Lt. Joe Zoelle
(651) 779-5907

Lt. Bruce Brynell
(651) 779-5913

Lt. Matt Sokol
(651) 779-5916

Lt. Shelly Schrofer
(651) 779-5909

Sgt. Jennifer Trautner
District Investigator
(651) 779-5910

Lt. Bob Maskel
(651) 779-5908

Fax
(651) 779-5925

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:28 am 
The Man

Well, yeah; the obvious purpose of the PIT maneuver is to teach some respect to some peon who is pulling over not quite quickly enough, and/or who is trying to engage in a low-speed escape at around 5 mph. Give the trooper a medal, and maybe a turret gun, so she can kill the next guy who is more concerned about his kids getting hit than in genuflecting quickly enough.

ETA: and the hauling him off to jail stuff? Sounds to me like, "you'll beat the charge, but you won't beat the ride."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:50 am 
Longtime Regular

What I find most disturbing is that the guy driving did eaxactly what the police say you should do if you fear for your safety.

Rotten. Just rotten.

And people wonder why I don't trust <strike>some</strike> most cops. That entire logic loop thing of do what I tell you to do until I tell you to do it, or some such crap.

"The law only applies to you when I think it's beneficial to me as an officer to enforce it that way."

Wheres the smiley with a badge and a snout?

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:20 am 

I can't even begin to tell you how angry that made me watching that. That trooper went WAY over the line. I mean c'mon....he just gets off the freeway and is going <15 mph and she pulls a PIT on him?! (a very half-assed one at that...). I would hope that using a maneuver like that is only used as a LAST RESORT. As far as I could tell from the video, there was very little indication that this was a high-speed pursuit. And even if it was a low speed pursuit, you get other officers involved prior to pulling the last-resort PIT maneuver.

She, at the very least, needs to go through training again. I think her adrenaline got the best of her....exaclty something troopers should be trained to deal with. :x

Post subject: Some additional commentary over at Windy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:49 am 
The Man

http://www.windypundit.com/archives/200 ... y_nic.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

I definitely see a positive here. None of the replies to the main post mentioned any type of menstruation-related or female-specific distress that might have triggered this incident.

All here treated the state trooper and her actions as simply a state trooper. Albiet a poorly trained, less-than-professional, or somewhat rogue trooper, but a trooper nonetheless.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, gentlemen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:54 pm 
The Man

Sure. That said, that's not the sort of criticism I'm terribly tolerant of; I'm far too sexist, having observed that most stupid things in the world are done by men.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:57 pm 

WTF WTF WTF

How did I miss this story? Where do I even start...who is going to even dare try to convince me that she should be listening to bleepin' loud music while in "hot pursuit?" Those clips remind me of a freekin' video game...seriously?

I will give her being pissed because he jumped out of his vehicle...but Judas Priest, there were young kids in the van. God help her, and the state for that matter, if one of those kids jumped out of the van to help their daddy and got hit by a car.

This is tough for me because I am a major cop supporter and appreciate the BS they go through everyday, but "this" is the example a SGT is supposed to use for training new Hwy Patrol?

My head hurts just thinking about all the what ifs...Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.