Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:57 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Was off-duty cop's pursuit of woman road rage...? 
 Post subject: Was off-duty cop's pursuit of woman road rage...?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:38 am 
Longtime Regular

http://www.twincities.com/ci_11870315?nclick_check=1

Quote:
No doubt about it. Larissa Larivee was scared.

Larivee, 20, who works as a nanny for a Mankato family, dropped off the kids at Bridges Community School Feb. 10 and hurried off down the road on her way to campus.

But she blew through that first stop sign and ended up cutting off a guy in a black pickup. She hurried through the next one, too. And when she looked in her rear-view mirror, there was the black pickup, and the driver didn't look happy.

He followed her, she said, honking his horn and waving his arms, trying to get her to pull over.

"I thought this was like a road rage thing," the Minnesota State University student said. "I didn't know what he wanted and I just wanted to get away."

She zoomed up toward campus and pulled into her driveway on Floral Avenue. The black pickup pulled in right behind her, and the driver got out and approached her. "I felt trapped," she said.

The closer he got, the more frightened she became. And it wasn't until he was a few feet away that she learned the driver of the pickup was Blue Earth County Sheriff's Deputy Joshua Steinbach — who was off duty and driving his personal vehicle.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:36 am 
Longtime Regular

While it may not have been road rage, the perception by Larivee was almost certainly that the pickup driver was exhibiting road rage.

The deputy should have realized she might be scared and not running and backed off. After all, how is she to know he's a deputy trying to effect a lawful stop. He could at least called for an on-duty officer and provide plates, and even follow more discretely at a distance if he was concerned about nabbing the actual driver and not just the registered owner.

It's not clear that he hung on her bumper honking and hollering the whole time. But if he pulled up close, got out, and started rudely shouting at her, he clearly hadn't considered that she wasn't omniscient and might know his occupation.

Post subject: Re: Was off-duty cop's pursuit of woman road rage...?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
She zoomed up toward campus and pulled into her driveway on Floral Avenue.

Not a good move. Here she was in fear of this man and yet she led him right to her house.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:13 am 

Um....uh.... Wouldn't an off-duty officer have a cell phone, with which he could call into dispatch to ask for a squad to the location? Maybe that's just my naivete kicking in.

Quote:
Here she was in fear of this man and yet she led him right to her house.

Good point Lenny. Maybe rural folks aren't tought this invaluable city lesson! When I'm suspicious of a follower, I will drive to my neighborhood, then use escape routes and head towards a PD station if I continue to be followed. All of this while talking on my "off-duty" cell phone.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:18 am 
Longtime Regular

If he was off duty, how did she know he was a deputy? Was he in uniform? You'd think they'd train cops to not do this, it could get them shot off duty.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:21 am 
Longtime Regular

a911scanner wrote:
Good point Lenny. Maybe rural folks aren't tought this invaluable city lesson!

This is true regardless of locale. Unless you aren't explicitly taught what to do or reason it out yourself ahead of time, you're left trying to figure it out on the fly. Figuring out what best to do on the fly while scared isn't easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Figuring out what best to do on the fly while scared isn't easy.

Though I kinda quietly wish the young lady had been . . . . well, maybe not. I do hope that officer's supervisors take into account how bad a dead roadragey cop would look for them and take appropriate disciplinary action. . . . isn't this kinda like how the Treptow incindent went down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:58 am 

There should be a model policy that allows only uniformed officers in department vehicles to do traffic stops.

There is really no justifiable reason for this officer's actions, it's not proportionate to the offense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
There should be a model policy that allows only uniformed officers in department vehicles to do traffic stops.

There is really no justifiable reason for this officer's actions, it's not proportionate to the offense.
There is, some places. A detective I know in NJ told me their chief announced that anyone in plainclothes who has the urge to write traffic tickets can go back to uniformed patrol. If there is need for a traffic stop they are to call a squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
You'd think they'd train cops to not do this, it could get them shot off duty.

Yeah, what if he did have his duty gun out?
If a road rager follows a someone with a gun home, gets out of their truck, approaches you, and has a gun in his hand... I wonder what would happen?

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

PocketProtector642 wrote:
chunkstyle wrote:

If a road rager follows a someone with a gun home, gets out of their truck, approaches you, and has a gun in his hand... I wonder what would happen?

They'd probably get shot themselves and the shooter would be in the right.

Whether the off-duty cop would be able to return fire and potentially hit the victim is where the tragedy would probably come in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:14 pm 

ree wrote:
a911scanner wrote:
Good point Lenny. Maybe rural folks aren't tought this invaluable city lesson!

This is true regardless of locale. Unless you aren't explicitly taught what to do or reason it out yourself ahead of time, you're left trying to figure it out on the fly. Figuring out what best to do on the fly while scared isn't easy.

Uh... ya..... thanks for clearing that up for me Ree. Maybe I should be more explicit about my sarcasm in the future.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:21 am 
Longtime Regular

PocketProtector642 wrote:
chunkstyle wrote:

If it happened to me?

There would probably very likely be gunfire.*

That's if I made the decision to go to my house instead of to the Cop Shop or some public area. In my area, though, it's hard to find an occupied area that's safe to go to. The nearest from home is six miles away. In fact, even the county shop is around 10 miles away.

Home is where the "arsenal" is; but it's also where the family is.

*There is one person who can follow me to my house and come out of his vehicle gun in hand without expecting a defensive response. That person is the one person I would trust explicitly.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Can anyone chime in on the legal authority of off duty cops and traffic stops?

I keep having images of Rod Farva jumping out of the firebird.

Rod is lucky he didn't get, at the least, maced. Trying to think from the perspective of a young female college student, some self-defense measures would be completely justified.

Any jury is going to be on her side in this situation. One would think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:04 am 
Longtime Regular

Nah, they'd dig up someone who'd say she once thought about exotic dancing and misquote it to paint her as a professional girl and . . . that time someone she knew got busted for drugs back in H.S. would mean that she was a dangerous drug associate maybe even gang affiliated or a domestic terrorists . . . Maybe if the officer would have copped a feel we coulda gotten a "making terroristic threats" felony from her.

The officer was afterall, doing his job & the young lady may have been good looking or the wrong color, or well . . . you just never know, but the officer was obviously completely in the right. Roadside cavity searches are always appopriate and we don't need no stinking court orders, warrants, probable cause, or even to be on duty. Maybe I am thinking Minneapolis PD though.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.