Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:57 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 This one's not so sad 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Binky .357 wrote:
Lenny7 wrote:
jac714 wrote:
I cannot imagine the consequences of getting caught getting a hummer in the school parking lot by a hooker. I know my career would be over at that moment.

But would you lose your entire pension or 401(k)? He should get punished, but losing 23 years of pension is going to far.

No, losing 23 years of pension ought to be something these men of a "higher standard" can understand. Especially when they have the unchecked power in their hands...

Quote:
My opinion is colored, no doubt, by my view of voluntary prostitution being hardly a crime. It wouldn't bother me if wasn't illegal. two adults can screw each other for free, why not for money. If two people agree to the transaction then it's none of my business.

Prostitution doesn't bother me that much either. If a woman wants to sell it, why shouldn't she get what the market can bear. What I have a problem with is the officer that will rationalize their illegal action with the tired old phrase, "Cops aren't perfect."

Sure, they can't be perfect, but at least they should make an effort to be law abiding especially in school parking lots.

Quote:
I wouldn't touch the skanky 'ho's , but I don't care if this cop does.

I don't understand the lack of pride or self-control that leads a man to pick up some of the trashiest looking prostitutes you see getting busted sometimes.

I'll pick a nit, and say that it was in a motel room, not in a school parking lot.

Beyond that, if it was my job and I did that while on company time, I'd expect termination. I don't know about losing the whole retirement stuff, but I'd expect to be terminated and nothing less.

School bus driver, garbage truck driver, brick layer, corporate CEO, I don't care who you are. If I was your superior and I found out you were using company time to do that, we'd no longer work together. Bad way to run any business, by allowing that to happen and enforce any lesser consequences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:49 pm 

Traveler wrote:
What's a "hummer"? Is it another KelTec product? :roll:

So this guy also received a new GM SUV??? :P :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

mnmike59 wrote:
Traveler wrote:
What's a "hummer"? Is it another KelTec product? :roll:

So this guy also received a new GM SUV??? :P :P :lol:

I think the size of the prostitute is immaterial. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

EJSG19 wrote:
School bus driver, garbage truck driver, brick layer, corporate CEO, I don't care who you are. If I was your superior and I found out you were using company time to do that, we'd no longer work together. Bad way to run any business, by allowing that to happen and enforce any lesser consequences.

I can agree with that. Somehow I missed that in the original article. To me, doing it on company time is worse than the act itself.

Lose his job? Yes. Lose his pension? No, unless there was something that stated this possibility in his employment contract.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
Lose his job? Yes. Lose his pension? No, unless there was something that stated this possibility in his employment contract.

I'm guessing that there was.

The unexamined aspect of this is whether it was a straightforward business transaction. When a cop gets an illegal* service from an illegal service provider, he wields a great deal of power.

In other words, did he pay? Or was she buying her way out of a bust? Or was she making a weekly protection payment so that she could continue her illegal enterprise?

It may have been "just" a worker goofing off on company time, or it may have been severe misprision of office.

----------------------
* For the record, I don't think prostitution should necessarily be illegal, and this sort of thing is one of the unintended, though sadly predictable, consequences of prohibition of any sort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:21 pm 

Prostitution is a victim-less crime. That said, if I'm employing someone, I expect them to work while they're on the clock, not dipping their wick.

Regardless, it was a dumb thing to do on his part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

Specified Gravity wrote:
Prostitution is a victim-less crime.

That's not always the case. Human slavery still exists. That's why I clarified my position by saying "voluntary". I'm sure you mean the same thing, but I think it's important to clarify it when discussing whether it's victim-less or not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:40 pm 
On time out

Lenny7 wrote:
EJSG19 wrote:

I can agree with that. Somehow I missed that in the original article. To me, doing it on company time is worse than the act itself.

THis makes me laugh, once upon a time I worked for a company where providing "company" for visiting execs was common practice. My have times changed.......I know the company charge card was regularly used for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:43 pm 
On time out

Lenny7 wrote:
Specified Gravity wrote:

That's not always the case. Human slavery still exists. That's why I clarified my position by saying "voluntary". I'm sure you mean the same thing, but I think it's important to clarify it when discussing whether it's victim-less or not.

I have known both kinds (and no NOT in the Biblical sense) but there are some young women who do have choices and choose to be in this line of work, and there are some who I have met who have been coerced, beaten, and blackmailed into that line of work. The issue would be how does one tell when she's standing on the street corner which category she fell into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:53 am 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
The issue would be how does one tell when she's standing on the street corner which category she fell into.

That would be your first clue, methinks.

I don't think most "professionals" don't stand on street corners.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:13 am 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
Lenny7 wrote:
EJSG19 wrote:

THis makes me laugh, once upon a time I worked for a company where providing "company" for visiting execs was common practice. My have times changed.......I know the company charge card was regularly used for this.

I can see that. Only meant that the atmosphere at my job would mean my boss entering a whole new level of pissed off, if this were to happen. I haven't actually seen smoke roll out of his ears but this would do it, and I'd expect no less. If another company has a different policy than no worries.

I doubt though that that particular LE office condones the activity while a guy is on duty. We'll see I guess, if/when we hear what his final consequences are. If he wasn't on duty and not in uniform, I don't know that it would have been as big a deal, other than the sheer legality of it. Assuming he wasn't using his power as has been discussed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:47 am 

Lenny7 wrote:
Specified Gravity wrote:

That is what I mean. Though I disagree with whether it's important to clarify that. Prostitutes sell sex for money. If they are coerced or forced to do it, they are no longer prostitutes, they are slaves.

I know it sounds like I'm arguing semantics, and in part I am. In the US, since prostitution is widely illegal, it's created a market for what you're referring to, and the resulting association has blurred the meaning of the term.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.