Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Police: Man said 30,000 bullets were for target practice 
 Post subject: Police: Man said 30,000 bullets were for target practice
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Legally purchased guns and a bunch of bullets. Authorities can't tie anything to him.

I'm not seeing a crime here.
Quote:
http://www.eagletribune.com/punewshh/local_story_135220825.html?keyword=topstory

HAVERHILL — Keni Garcia told police he intended to use the 30,000 bullets they found in his car and home for target practice.

That is hard to believe, the prosecutor at Garcia's arraignment said, because if he were to fire a gun for eight hours a day, it would take weeks for him to use all of it.

Garcia, who allegedly bought thousands of rounds of ammunition and had 10,000 bullets in his car when he was stopped by police Thursday, was ordered held on $500,000 cash bail yesterday.

Attorney Socrates de la Cruz of Lawrence, who represented Garcia, 32, of 12 Freeman St., at his arraignment in Haverhill District Court, said he will appeal the high bail in Superior Court.

Garcia is charged with three counts of possession of a high-capacity firearm, illegal possession of ammunition and illegal storage of a firearm. His case was continued until June 12.

Assistant District Attorney Christopher Holland asked Judge Patricia Dowling to impose $750,000 cash bail.

"He has no reason to stay here," Holland said.

The judge ordered Garcia to surrender his passport, and said that if he makes bail he is not to leave Massachusetts.

Garcia is a native of the Dominican Republic who was expected to become a U.S. citizen yesterday, but then he was arrested, authorities said.

Police arrested Garcia after he had left Interstate 495 at Exit 49 Thursday. They said they found 10,000 rounds of ammunition in his car. His two young daughters also were in the car, police said.

Holland said at Garcia's arraignment that a "joint effort" by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and state police found that Garcia had previously bought 20,000 rounds of ammunition in New Hampshire.

Garcia told police he only intended to use the bullets for target practice at a rifle range, Holland said, disputing Garcia's explanation. His common law wife, Elizabeth Reynoso, consented to a search and police found another 20,000 rounds, Holland said. They also found one .38-caliber and two 9 mm handguns, and $25,000 in cash, Holland said.

The prosecutor said all of the bullets seized from Garcia were for .38-caliber, 9 mm and .22-caliber firearms. Such ammunition is "like gold in the Dominican Republic," he said.

Holland said Reynoso told police he had "a shipping type of business" and that the $25,000 in cash must have come from Garcia cashing a business check.

"Where is the crime?" de la Cruz asked. The lawyer said Garcia had lived in New Hampshire for three years before recently moving to Haverhill.

"He bought the guns legally," de la Cruz said. "He never hid the fact that he had them."

Furthermore, de la Cruz said that when Garcia moved to Haverhill, he had a 60-day grace period to obtain a Massachusetts firearms card.

"There is no crime committed," he argued, saying there was no evidence that Garcia was shipping guns or ammunition to the Dominican Republic.

He asked the judge to allow his client "to go back to his job." He said Garcia has worked at a local bakery for three years.

Yesterday, Freeman Street residents interviewed by The Eagle-Tribune said they did not know anything about Garcia or guns and ammunition being stored at or shipped from his home.

Medline Abiles, of 43 Freeman St., who resides across the street from Garcia's house, said that in the two months she has lived in the neighborhood, she has not observed any weapons or ammunition and had no reason to be suspicious. Her sister, Carmen Reyes, who visits frequently, said she also had never noticed anything suspicious at the two-family house at 12 Freeman St.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:33 pm 

This is Haverhill, MA -- and this is yet another example as to why I no longer live in Massachusetts.

B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:39 am 
Journeyman Member

Quote:
TheeBadOne;12984613]Cops: Man used fake ID for ammo, guns

Thousands of bullets, three guns
found in home

Updated: Friday, 15 May 2009, 5:54 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 14 May 2009, 7:52 PM EDT

• [URL="http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/about_us/personalities/Alison_Bologna_012709"]
    [/URL]
HAVERHILL, Mass. (myfoxboston) - A Dominican man who was scheduled to become a U.S. citizen on Friday was instead arraigned in court after police say he purchased 20,000 rounds of ammunition and three high-capacity pistols and was not authorized to own weapons.

Keni Garcia, 32, of Haverhill, also tried to buy 55,000 more rounds in N.H., police said.

Garcia is not licensed to have any type of firearm or ammo in Massachusetts.

Police stopped Garcia after he bought ammo in N.H., and then drove to Haverhill with his two small daughters.

Garcia’s live-in girlfriend gave police permission to search their home where they found thousands of bullets, three unsecured pistols, and $25,000 in cash, police said.

Police are trying to find out what Garcia planned to do with the weapons.

Garcia pleaded not guilty to the charges. He is being held without bail.

I guess MA has some dumb laws, and he failed to follow them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Nords wrote:
I guess MA has some dumb laws, and he failed to follow them.

The article said that he had recently moved to MA and had/has 60 days to register his guns/ammo.

According to the article, he hasn't surpassed that 'deadline' at the time of his arrest.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:26 am 
Longtime Regular

Sheesh. Who DOESN'T have 30,000 rounds of ammo? A couple of guys around here went to Dick's to stock up on 9mm, which was on sale, and were walking out with quite a lot, one with 3,000 rounds. The wide-eyed, but smart-assed checkout kid said "What, are you guys gonna start WWIII?" the reply was "Nah, this is just for the ride home!" :D

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject: Re: Police: Man said 30,000 bullets were for target practice
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:11 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Hunter07 wrote:
The prosecutor said all of the bullets seized from Garcia were for .38-caliber, 9 mm and .22-caliber firearms. Such ammunition is "like gold in the Dominican Republic," he said.

I couldn't find much, but it sounds like those calibers are legal in DR. So, why would legal calibers be "like gold"? Wouldn't the illegal ones be more gold like?

Oh, and it does not matter one bit how many rounds of ammo one has. What matters is how many magazines he has.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:14 am 

MA has some highly restrictive gun laws.

Example:
- HiCap Magazines, Assault weapons, and saturday-night specials are banned for the most part.
- Possession of a semi-automatic pistol (ala the Glock 19 that I owned when I lived out there) required a Class A license to carry to even own (there are two classes of license - A and B).
- It's a may issue state - local CLEO has discretion.
- I can't remember, but I believe you need the Firearm Owner's ID Card to even purchase/possess ammunition.

When I lived in Quincy, MA (having moved there from Ohio) - the local chief flat out refused to issue any Class A License to Carry, therefore I was unable to possess my previously legal (in Ohio) firearm in MA.

I later moved to Taunton, MA - same story with the chief there. After some time, I got to know him via work and was able to obtain the Class A license.

Not a very friendly RKBA state at all. I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:53 am 
Longtime Regular

Hell, these days, handgun ammo is like gold anywhere.

I don't have 30,000 rounds...

...yet, but it's not for lack of trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:42 am 
Longtime Regular

bstrawse wrote:
MA has some highly restrictive gun laws.

Example:
- HiCap Magazines, Assault weapons, and saturday-night specials are banned for the most part.
- Possession of a semi-automatic pistol (ala the Glock 19 that I owned when I lived out there) required a Class A license to carry to even own (there are two classes of license - A and B).
- It's a may issue state - local CLEO has discretion.
- I can't remember, but I believe you need the Firearm Owner's ID Card to even purchase/possess ammunition.

When I lived in Quincy, MA (having moved there from Ohio) - the local chief flat out refused to issue any Class A License to Carry, therefore I was unable to possess my previously legal (in Ohio) firearm in MA.

I later moved to Taunton, MA - same story with the chief there. After some time, I got to know him via work and was able to obtain the Class A license.

Not a very friendly RKBA state at all. I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

Bryan

I'm assuming Heller will play into the ownership rights, but it's gonna take somebody with the $$$ to mount a legal challenge to the jackbooted assholes. :evil:

I'm getting less and less tolerant of certain political types...

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:44 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
I'm assuming Heller will play into the ownership rights, but it's gonna take somebody with the $$$ to mount a legal challenge to the jackbooted assholes. :evil:

Yeah, I'm quoting myself.

But something just came to mind...

Why the hell isn't the NRA, with all of its cash and clout, stepping up to FUND those types of suits? They should be PUSHING people to file them.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, they say police departments are even having trouble getting training ammo. I bet they were just jealous of this "hoarder". I'm sure they'll put this to good use.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:56 am 
Longtime Regular

The other thread of this was dupe-locked, but we are on a private Forum, so the newbies cannot discuss it here.

Mods, please unlock the other one.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Newbs can get here. Anyone registered can view and post here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
The Man

chunkstyle wrote:
The other thread of this was dupe-locked, but we are on a private Forum, so the newbies cannot discuss it here.

No need; Isolated Incidents is available to all registered folks, newbie or not, for posting -- and it's world-visible.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
Raving Moderate

chunkstyle wrote:

Huh? Isolated Incidents is open to all registered users...

:)

ETA: cross-posted with Joel.

[Site owner's note: the Force is strong with this paduwan; the bald, wrinkled one barely beat him. JR]

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.