Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:47 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Legislative Auditor harshly criticizes Gang Strike Force 
 Post subject: Legislative Auditor harshly criticizes Gang Strike Force
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
The Minnesota Legislative Auditor issued a harsh critique of the Metro Gang Strike Force today, saying that it failed to develop basic internal controls that would ensure that it properly safeguarded or accounted for the seizure of cash, forfeited vehicles and other property.

The strike force was unable to account for at least $18,126 of seized cash and could not locate or support the legal disposition of at least 13 forfeited vehicles and one seized vehicle held as evidence, the legislative auditor said in a report released this morning.

The strike force also failed to comply with some finance-related legal requirements for seized and forfeited property, the report stated.

Two boards that oversee the strike force--the Minnesota Gang and Drug Oversight Council and the Metro Gang Strike Force Advisory board--did not provide sufficient oversight on the Metro Gang Strike Force's financial activity, the report said.

Linky

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm shocked -- shocked!-- to find this going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:05 pm 
The Man

And the new motto of the Gang Strike Force is, of course, "I need to speak to my attorney, and I do not consent to any search, and no, I never saw that tactical balaclava stuffed with cash before in my life, I swear to God."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:15 pm 
Raving Moderate

Here's the part that grabbed me:

Star Tribune wrote:
While the report stated that the legislative auditor could not account for $18,126 in seized cash, it noted that the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office said that it had deposited $2,960 of this amount through Dec. 31, 2008, so that the unaccounted for amount was actually $15,166. "We did not validate this claim," the auditor's report said. The Ramsey County sheriff's office was the fiscal agent for the strike force.

Isn't this the same RCSO that, er, finesses the cost of carry permit issuance? Glad to see it's not just us they're bending over... :?

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Didn't one of Fletcher's unsworn buddies serve on some task force but later get convicted of stealing money in a sting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:23 pm 
The Man

plblark wrote:
Didn't one of Fletcher's unsworn buddies serve on some task force but later get convicted of stealing money in a sting?
Yup. And the other one was sworn.

Best part of the trial was during the defense lawyer's summation, when he finished up with . . .

"... and you must find my client guilty!"

Judge: "You mean 'not guilty.""

"Yeah. You must find my client not guilty!"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Update: Campion Names His Invetigative Team
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:00 pm 
The Man

Headed by Sergeant Otto Schultz, ably abetted by Officer Landen Beard (who has great experience driving Gang Strike Force sports cars), I'm sure it'll be cleared up in no time.

"We expects to see nozzink'," Schultz said.

Beard nodded. "Should have this wrapped up in time for quick a nooner."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Would there not be some criminal liability attached to all this? Is there not a "blue ribbon" or "Supreme Almighty Everlasting prosecutor" to follow up?

Let's see. A Ramsey County Sheriff's deputy took a run at a Ramsey County board seat this fall. I wonder where the campaign money might have come from? Possibly an audit of each of the Ramsey County Sheriff's staff personal banking accounts would be in order.

I can only wish. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:59 pm 
The Man

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:44 am 
Raving Moderate

Joel, you're enjoying the whole "pop-up" thing just a little too much... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:02 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Gang Strike Force Offices Shut Down

The Metro Gang Strike Force has closed its headquarters after the force's commander learned some investigators had turned up to remove items from the offices.

Force commander Chris Omodt says he doesn't know what items were being removed from the offices in New Brighton but was concerned they were related to a probe of the force that officials announced Wednesday.

Minnesota Public Safety Commissioner Michael Campion had said he will ask an advisory board to suspend the Metro Gang Strike Force to deal with financial management problems.

Campion says he informed 13 Twin Cities police agencies whose officers work for the unit that the state will stop their funding starting in 30 days while the Department of Public Safety works with Omodt to clean up the problems.

Campion's announcement came after the legislative auditor released a report showing a lack of financial oversight at the unit that polices Twin Cities gang activity, including $18,000 in seized cash and 14 vehicles that couldn't be accounted for.

The audit also says procedure wasn't followed when six officers went to a law enforcement conference in Hawaii earlier this year.

Campion says he plans to hire a former federal prosecutor and retired FBI agent to investigate. He made the announcement during a legislative hearing on the audit. He says he will ask the unit's advisory board to make the monthlong suspension formal next Wednesday.

Campion says he doesn't aim to shut down the Metro Gang Strike Force permanently and expects it to be back up and running better after what he expects will be a 30-day suspension.

-------

In April, Minnesota's legislative auditor announced plans to examine spending by Metro Gang Strike Force members on a trip to a law enforcement conference in Hawaii. Six members of the force attended March's conference at a cost of more than $16,000. The money came from the seizure of property used as part of criminal activities.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:31 am 

Jeremiah wrote:
Joel, you're enjoying the whole "pop-up" thing just a little too much... :wink:

My favorite part is getting to see what add-ons he is using. That's how I found out about Fast Dial. It's a slick one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:23 am 

My favorite story yet so far, this is the story as of 8:21 AM-
KSTP was so excited they couldn't bother to finish writing the story, or getting information and proofreading before they posted it....

Whole story here-

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S942932.shtml?cat=1

Quote:
"Certainly with the comments made in the legislative audit and investigators taking boxes off their desks, one might construe they were taking some files and that's simply not the case," Shaver said.
However, it’s enough for Minneapolis City Councilmember Don Samuels and head of the St. Paul Police Union ________ to call for officers on the Strike Force to call it quits.
_____, the leader of St. Paul's nearly 600 officers, wants his department out of the Strike Force immediately after the allegations of mismanagement, poor evidence handling, and the exposure of undercover officers in the media.
"We’re just not going to tolerate it. I don't think our members need to be exposed to that situation," Titus said.
Titus says at least one of the half dozen St. Paul officers on the Strike Force has asked for a transfer—so too have officers from other departments, sources tell 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS.

Yes, there are blank lines sitting there.. waiting for ripe info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:40 am 
Raving Moderate

The Strib is reporting that officers (I'm sorry, "someone") had shut down the computer that records who keys into the building, and had been shredding a lot of files... :roll: :roll:

http://www.startribune.com/local/45805632.html?page=1&c=y

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:55 am 
Longtime Regular

"Let's split up the loot boys and destroy all the evidence. We can all meet up later out near the old Anderson place by the dry wash. We can make plans there to re-group as the Drug and Firearm Task Force and start this all over again."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.