Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 STUPIDITY Run Amok! 
 Post subject: STUPIDITY Run Amok!
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

This may or may not be 'isolated incidents' (move it where you will, if needed), but the F***ING STUPIDITY involved is just mind boggling! :evil: :evil:
Quote:
Published : Wednesday, 27 May 2009, 10:45 PM CDT

James Rose
DALLAS - Frank Larison is a disabled veteran with more than 14 years of service, including more than a year of combat duty in Vietnam.

The 58-year-old former Marine now finds himself under attack by his Dallas homeowners association for displaying seven decals on his vehicle supporting the Marine Corps.

"To me, it's being patriotic, and it shows that I served," the veteran told FOX 4.

The board says the decals are advertisements that violate HOA rules, and must be covered or removed.

Otherwise, the homeowners association for The Woodlands II on The Creek --- where Larimore has lived for eight years --- says in a letter it will tow the car at Larimore's expense. The board also threatens to fine him $50 for any future incident.

Larimore says the decals, ranging from the Marine emblem to Semper Fi slogans, aren't advertisements for anything. "You can't buy freedom," he reasoned.

Some neighbors are outraged.

"That is his identity," said neighbor Mary Castagna. "He goes to a lot of the veteran meetings, and it means a lot to him. Everyone else agrees with it; it doesn't bother anybody."

"He's in the Marines, and he's proud of it, and I don't blame him," said neighbor Paul Hardy. "If I'd gone through what he's gone through, I'd be kind of proud of it myself."

The letter from the board states you can't have any form of advertisement anywhere on your car on your property. FOX 4 cameras spotted bumper stickers for political parties, health causes, and other non-commercial interests on the property as well.

One board member said he was unaware the HOA presidents sent the letter and did not know of any issue with Larimore's vehicle.

"I will be looking into it," said board member Art Bradford. "I didn't know anything about this. I haven't seen this."

The board president was out of town and unavailable. The condo management company did not want to comment.

And then there's this...........

Quote:
http://m.sanduskyregister.com/articles/191779734

City police officers weeded out a local man at Central Park who just wanted to cut the grass.

Authorities arrested John Hamilton at 8:30 a.m. Thursday as the 48-year-old mowed the grass at the park.

Police charged the Sunset Drive resident with obstructing official business and persistent disorderly conduct.

Hamilton must appear in Sandusky Municipal Court at 9 a.m. today.

“The other day when I went by, I took a look at it and measured it. It (was) a foot tall,” Hamilton said Thursday morning. “We have beautiful parks.”

Hamilton said he simply wanted to be a good Samaritan and help keep the parks nice. “I didn’t know it was illegal,” he said. According to the police report, he was seen mowing the grass by Penny Randleman, a forestry department employee.

The employee said Hamilton was blowing grass onto the sidewalk and shredding trash in the park that had not been picked up prior to mowing, so she called the police.

Upon their arrival, Hamilton told police officers “he is sick of seeing the grass so long in parks, so he is fixing the problem” Police arrested him after he continued to mow when they told him to stop. Officers cited “liability reasons” in the police report.

At the scene, Sandusky police Officer John Powell measured the grass and it was indeed more than one foot high. Police also found the park littered with paper, bottles and children’s underwear.

Hamilton said all of it is unacceptable. “They just hired somebody for $90,000,” Hamilton said. “Couldn’t they hire some kids to mow the yard in the summer?”

Grass cutting has become a major topic this spring. During the past six weeks, many residents have spoken at city commission meetings or called the Register to complain about uncut grass on city property. Scott Miller, director of the general services department, asked the city’s fire department this week to help him out.

General services oversees the city’s grass cutting. “(Miller) called (Wednesday) and said he’s so far behind, he asked if we could help,” said fire Chief Mike Meinzer. “So we closed station No. 3 near the causeway and went out to cut the grass at Farwell Park. ... I had told him that if he ever needed help, that’s something we could do.”

Neighbors helped pick up some litter before the firefighters mowed and he said an interruption of three emergency calls kept them from finishing.

“If it didn’t rain, they were going to go back to Farwell (on Thursday) morning and finish it up,” he said.

On Wednesday night, city manager Matt Kline said he was aware of the uncut grass problem, but his staff was shorthanded.

Through cuts and attrition, the general services department only has 20 employees. Those 20 employees handle streets and traffic, the cemetery, lands and buildings, horticulture, the greenhouse and forestry.

In better times, the city used to hire about 50 seasonal employees.

“We’re having everyone (at general services) grab a lawn mower, regardless of their job,” Kline said. “I don’t care if a light bulb is out and needs fixing ... or a toilet’s backed up and needs plumbing -- just grab a mower.”

Late Thursday afternoon, the city sent out a statement about the arrest.

“Today a gentleman’s frustration boiled over and he decided to mow Central Park on his own,” the news release from Kline’s office said, calling the situation unfortunate.

“Although he was asked repeatedly to stop, he persisted and ignored both our horticulture employees and the police officers who became involved.” Hamilton said the three officers who arrested him were “quite pleasant and understanding,” as well as “sympathetic” to his cause.

He still feels he had a right to cut the grass. “Why can’t I?” he asked. “I am a citizen.”

Staff writer Tom Jackson contributed to this story.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:45 am 

Wow and this is just some of the stupidity we hear about!

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:45 am 
Poet Laureate

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would fight for the freedom of this country, and then go and join a homeowner's association! :shock: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:45 pm 

Carbide Insert wrote:
I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would fight for the freedom of this country, and then go and join a homeowner's association! :shock: :roll:

Astute observation my friend - Perhaps he thought a gated community would keep the "bad guys" out. Then he found out they were running the place!

"There are good men and bad men of all nationalities, creeds and colors; and if this world of ours is ever to become what we hope some day it may become, it must be by the general recognition that the man's heart and soul, the man's worth and actions, determine his standing."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.