Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A REAL man in blue tazes a 72 year-old grandmother. 
 Post subject: A REAL man in blue tazes a 72 year-old grandmother.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:38 am 
Wise Elder

"He feared for his life!!!"

A traffic stop for speeding in Travis County, Texas, led to the Tasering of a 72-year-old great-grandmother by a deputy.

http://www.examiner.com/x-536-Civil-Lib ... randmother

P. S. FWIW, Constables, in Texas, although they like to "dress up" like cops, are more like highway robbers than the POST-certified policemen we are used to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was told that MN used to have the sig line on the ticket for the promise to appear. Never recveived any tickets like that. :P

The summons books that I have always used have never had the sig line. I guess they have to believe me when I testify to the court that I served the summons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:29 pm 

I'd like to see the dashcam on this one...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:34 am 
Longtime Regular

Here's the dashboard cam video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yWaE8tTlsc&eurl=http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/06/raw-video-cop-tasers-72-year-old-granny/&feature=player_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:00 pm 
Wise Elder

The thug is twice her size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:11 pm 

While it's pretty obvious that she is resisting (saying "I'm getting back in my car!" after he has told her she is under arrest), I'm pretty sure he could've got her cuffed-n-stuffed without using the 'ol taser. Guess he didn't feel like wrestling around with a 72 yr. old woman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

And tackling a 72yr old woman would have been better how?

This wasn't going to resolve well no matter what he did.

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

sheepdog wrote:
While it's pretty obvious that she is resisting (saying "I'm getting back in my car!" after he has told her she is under arrest), I'm pretty sure he could've got her cuffed-n-stuffed without using the 'ol taser. Guess he didn't feel like wrestling around with a 72 yr. old woman.

Think of it this way, but first, remove the "grandmother" portion of this thread, as it really is irrelevant.

Many departments have authorized use of the Taser BEFORE empty handed techniques. This is to prevent injury to the OFFICER that might be sustained when trying to subdue a combative subject.

In this particular case, the arrestee has refused to comply and has clearly stated her intention to leave. She then actively resists by pullling away from his grasp.

The officer has a decision to make: engage with the Taser, or go hands-on. If he goes hands on, HE might get injured in a struggle. A kick to the groin, a fingernail in his eye; hell, maybe she has a gun hidden that the officer doesn't know about.

He chooses the Taser, gives her several warnings, which the arrestee ignored...The taser is a good choice. It's over and done with in seconds and she is now under control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Another video of which I'd like to see the previous five minutes before it begins.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

tman065 wrote:
sheepdog wrote:

Think of it this way, but first, remove the "grandmother" portion of this thread, as it really is irrelevant.

Many departments have authorized use of the Taser BEFORE empty handed techniques. This is to prevent injury to the OFFICER that might be sustained when trying to subdue a combative subject.

In this particular case, the arrestee has refused to comply and has clearly stated her intention to leave. She then actively resists by pullling away from his grasp.

The officer has a decision to make: engage with the Taser, or go hands-on. If he goes hands on, HE might get injured in a struggle. A kick to the groin, a fingernail in his eye; hell, maybe she has a gun hidden that the officer doesn't know about.

He chooses the Taser, gives her several warnings, which the arrestee ignored...The taser is a good choice. It's over and done with in seconds and she is now under control.

Let me add the one that is my personal nightmare.

Let's say the officer goes hands-on, and she bites. That's bad enough.

Now let's say she draws blood. Even worse.

Finally, let's say she has a cut in her mouth, and has HIV or (even worse, IMO) HepC.

Bad juju.

ETA - I'm with Dean. I'd like to see the lead-up.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

She doesn't look all that frail to me either. And if it hadn't said she was 72, I wouldn't have guessed from what I can see. She's pretty spry.

I still like seeing it posted here. It's interesting and good insight from Tman.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Let me add the one that is my personal nightmare.

Let's say the officer goes hands-on, and she bites. That's bad enough.

Now let's say she draws blood. Even worse.

Finally, let's say she has a cut in her mouth, and has HIV or (even worse, IMO) HepC.

Bad juju.

-Mark

I actually investigated a case with very similar circumstances: an intoxicated HIV+ subject bit another person, breaking the skin and drawing blood. In his initial interview, my suspect told me he was HIV+ and said he bit the guy on purpose.

Our county attorney settled the case with a disorderly conduct conviction. Additionally, the badguy had to pay for some HIV testing for his vic. I am not altogether pleased wilth how that came out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:07 pm 
The Man

Assuming that the arrest was appropriate -- and I'm just assuming; I'm not taking a position as all I know is what I see in the video, which is inconclusive -- he has every right to use minimum necessary non-lethal force to prevent her from leaving. Given that assumption, I think the taser was an ugly but not inappropriate choice, judging by the video.

On the other hand, if -- and, again: if -- the arrest was inappropriate, so does everything that follows from it, even though it is unlawful to attempt to escape from an improper (or even flagrantly unlawful) arrest.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
On the other hand, if -- and, again: if -- the arrest was inappropriate, so does everything that follows from it, even though it is unlawful to attempt to escape from an improper (or even flagrantly unlawful) arrest.

I am certainly NOT commenting on what I didn't see. In fact, I don't know that his agency allows for the use of the taser in this instance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:18 pm 
The Man

tman065 wrote:
joelr wrote:

I am certainly NOT commenting on what I didn't see. In fact, I don't know that his agency allows for the use of the taser in this instance...
Didn't think you were.

Orthogonally . . . from listening to the video, it sounds like she was being mouthy -- unwise, but that shouldn't be unlawful -- and was ready to sign the ticket when she didn't obey him quickly enough. Even if -- again: if -- his agency allows for tasering in that situation, that's not okay.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.