Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Police Beating of Schizophrenic Caught on Tape 
 Post subject: Police Beating of Schizophrenic Caught on Tape
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

The video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYg7aBSpopI
Quote:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=7773867&page=1

Bar Video for Criminal Activity Catches Alleged Police Brutality
By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES
June 6, 2009—

Ronnie Holloway's eyes were still black and blue one week after he was allegedly beaten by a Passaic, N.J., police officer -- an attack that was inadvertently caught on a video surveillance camera.

Holloway, who is on medication for schizophrenia, joined more than 80 others outside that community's city hall Saturday to demand that Officer Joseph R. Rios III be fired.

The tape shows Holloway, 49, waiting outside Lawrence's Grill and Bar restaurant in Passaic when a police cruiser pulled up and a female officer asked him to zip up his sweatshirt. Holloway appears to comply, but Rios jumps out and begins hitting him with his fists and a baton.

The scene shows baby strollers and other pedestrians walk by in the downtown retail section of this community of immigrants and working poor.

Holloway does not appear to resist, and at one point, Rios seems to stand him back up and then slam him into the police cruiser.

"These cops know him," said Holloway's lawyer Nancy Lucianna of Fort Lee, N.J. "He's lived in the town for 25 years, does the same routine every night. He goes out after dinner, takes a walk, and paces back and forth."

Soft-Spoken Man Now Confused by Police
Lucianna said Holloway, who is a "soft-spoken, almost childlike" man who lives with his mother, has never had a police record of any kind.

"He is compliant and calm with medication," she told ABCNews.com.

His mother, Betty Holloway, said that without the surveillance tape, the truth about what happened would never have been revealed.

She said the female officer at the scene never tried to stop the officer as her son was beaten to the ground. Both Holloways deny he had a drug problem.

Betty Holloway said her son had always respected police before this incident.

"Now, he is confused and doesn't know what to think," she told ABC reporter Stacey Sager of New York affiliate WABC.

Passaic police refused to comment for ABCNews.com. Rios, a 7-year veteran of the police department is still on active duty, according to local police reports.

The Holloways have filed a complaint with the police's internal affairs department demanding an investigation. They are also asking for the state country prosecutor's office to bring criminal charges against Rios and are filing a suit against the department for police brutality.

Family Demands Officer Suspension
"We are looking for the police department to suspend the officer pending an investigation," said Lucianna. "And I don't think this will take too much time -- maybe 15 minutes -- because the videotape speaks for itself. We don't want this to happen to anyone else."

One of the demonstrators at Saturday's rally -- Shawanna Barksdale of Passaic -- claims she, too, had been pulled from her car two years ago by Rios in a case of mistaken identity.

"I'm really upset this happened again," said Barksdale, a 30-year-old phlebotomist with three children, ages 15, 9 and 2. "It's still bad enough to be emotional."

She said Rios had jumped into her barely stopped car as she was pulling over to assist her sister, who was parked by the side of the road.

"He just attacked me," she told ABCNews.com. "He jumped in my vehicle and dragged me out by my hair. I still had my foot on the brake and wasn't even parked. He told me to get out with no explanation why, then hit me and cussed at me."

Barksdale said she was arrested and charged with aggravated assault and obstruction with a vehicle. Those charges were later dropped, but no action was taken against the police.

Police Shouldn't Hurt Us
"I remember that," said her cousin, Khadijah Barksdale, 15, who was babysitting for the three children while Shawanna Barksdale was at the rally. "He hit her, and she had to defend herself any way she could."

"I think [the officer] should be charged with something and fired," she said. "That's just not right because he has a gun on him and all the power. He's a policeman. He shouldn't be hurting anybody."

Holloway was charged with "wandering or loitering or remaining for the purpose of obtaining drugs."

Video surveillance was set up at Lawrence's Grill and Bar to catch criminal activity. On May 29, the day of the alleged beating, the shift manager was told there had been a police incident outside and reviewed the recording.

The tape, according to Holloway's lawyer, was sent to the Passaic Police Department, "who did nothing about it."

The tape was eventually made public by the Bergen County Record newspaper.

Then this........
Quote:
http://www.examiner.com/x-2446-North-Jersey-Crime-Examiner~y2009m6d8-Passaic-police-beating-is-an-isolated-incident-period

Passaic police beating is an isolated incident, period

A speeded-up video of a cop beating a seemingly defenseless man doesn't prove law enforcement nationwide is unleashed and barbaric. In fact, several officers aren't happy with what they've seen of the footage from the urban hellhole known as the City of Passaic.

"From watching the video, it didn't even look like the guy was a threat to the officer regardless if he was obeying commands or not," said one. "And I'm not sure where they got the resisting arrest charge out of that. The guy didn't even fight back. All you needed was one compliance hold and he would have been cuffed."

I have never relied on anonymous source for facts, and never will. In this case, officers sworn to protect and serve the public have been sharing feelings, emotions, and visceral responses -- not facts. Their names aren't necessary.

To some, the entire incident is revolting. To others, it just doesn't make sense.

"A complete embarassment, to his dept. and all fellow officers of this state," one New Jersey officer wrote in a forum posting.

Of course, many are steering clear of the fray, the way that Officer Joseph J. Rios III's partner walked away while he punched and beat Ronnie Holloway with his baton on May 29.

And while there appears to be irrefutable evidence -- recorded by a camera at a nearby tavern -- neither she nor Rios have had their part of the story aired publicly. (Photo above is from a video posted on YouTube. Click here to see the actual video from NorthJersey.com.)

"Without the audio and video moving faster then normal speed its hard to tell if excessive force was used," one New Jersey law enforcement officer said. "He turned on [the] Officer and he was approached to be placed in cuffs and with the street light there blocking partial view.

"We don't need to jump the gun here."

Indeed, Holloway -- after being forced to the ground -- gets back up. Playing devil's advocate here: That may have been a signal to Rios that he was in danger.

The Passaic County Prosecutor's Office is investigating the incident, following an internal affairs review in the department. Rios, a seven-year veteran, remains on desk duty.

But some people apparently have made up their minds.

"It certainly [does] appear like some kind of brawl, not an officer trying to control and take somebody into custody," one officer said.

"He should start putting a resume together quickly," another added.

Others have turned their attention to Rios's partner, Erica Rivera.

"How are you going to just stand there while your partner is wrestling with a guy?" one officer asked. "And she even turned her back on him and got back in the car."

"She could have helped her partner by getting him secured," said another.

Yet another officer insisted "We are supposed to get involved and do everything feasible to prevent it."

It's been suggested that Rivera steered clear out of confusion about what to do -- she can't pile on and she's not about to risk either her or her partner's life by pulling him off. Yet some believe she should have acted as soon as it seemed things had gotten out of hand.

The video shows Rivera calling in on a hand radio and then reaching inside the patrol car. When she emerges, she paces back and forth, as if waiting for backup.

However, she also turns her back on what's happening.

This "sends a message," one officer said, to the various passersby who can be seen in the video.

Holloway reportedly said he was just walking along, his sweatshirt open on a warm night, when one of the officers asked him to zip it. The rest is on the silent, stuttering video.

His mother said she told police after the incident that he was schizophrenic and relied on medication. Yet, she said, they released him from the hospital soon after and allowed him to walk home.

There are those who defend Rios, including a fellow Passaic County officer who wrote:

"For the record, 'Resisting Arrest' is not just when a subject is fighting an Officer. Refusing to obey verbal commands, stiffening your body, putting your hands in your pocket, lowering your center of gravity, assuming a fighting stance, possessing a menacing demeanor on your face, refusing to get/stay on the ground (Instead, he got back up), while saying [something threatening], in a totality of the circumstances, regardless if he was fighting the male Officer or not, more than constitutes 'Resisting Arrest!'"

Still, all agree, authorities need to review the incident thoroughly, respond promptly, and explain their decisions clearly.

“The video of this incident is extremely disconcerting," Mayor Alex Blanco said in a statement on Saturday, after 150 people rallied outside Passaic City Hall, calling for Rios to be fired."[B]ut I urge the community to withhold judgment until a complete investigation of the incident is concluded and reviewed by independent law enforcement officials.”

Unedited video
http://www.northjersey.com/multimedia/v ... 54637.html

Officials also suspended Rios' partner, Officer Erica Rivera, with pay for filing a report in which they said she lied about being hit with a baton during the incident.

They must of filed their reports before they knew they were on tape
Quote:
http://www.examiner.com/x-2446-North-Jersey-Crime-Examiner~y2009m6d9-BREAKING-NEWS-Both-officers-suspended-without-pay-in-Passaic-beating

BREAKING NEWS: Both officers suspended in Passaic beating

UPDATE: Passaic Mayor Alex Bianco has suspended Officer Joseph J. Rios III, who was caught on video beating a mentally disabled man.

“I have called upon the police chief to suspend Officer Rios based on the Passaic County Prosecutor’s investigation of alleged excessive force,” Bianco said in a statement.

“The police chief has executed the necessary paperwork to suspend Officer Rios effective immediately. The suspension is with pay, and as the investigation continues, the status of Officer Rios will be adjusted appropriately.”

Officials also suspended Rios' partner, Officer Erica Rivera, with pay for filing a report in which they said she lied about being hit with a baton during the incident.

“I understand that a majority of our police department serve admirably and perform their duties in the best interests of our residents,” Blanco said in his statement. “But I am sending a message that conduct unbecoming of an officer will not be tolerated.”

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
“The police chief has executed the necessary paperwork to suspend Officer Rios effective immediately."

Thats not the only execution that needs to happen.

Post subject: Re: Police Beating of Schizophrenic Caught on Tape
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hunter07 wrote:
The video

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYg7aBSpopI
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=7773867&page=1

Bar Video for Criminal Activity Catches Alleged Police Brutality
By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES
June 6, 2009—

Ronnie Holloway's eyes were still black and blue one week after he was allegedly beaten by a Passaic, N.J., police officer -- an attack that was inadvertently caught on a video surveillance camera.

Bet they weren't expecting THAT particular scenario...

Quote:
The tape shows Holloway, 49, waiting outside Lawrence's Grill and Bar restaurant in Passaic when a police cruiser pulled up and a female officer asked him to zip up his sweatshirt . Holloway appears to comply, but Rios jumps out and begins hitting him with his fists and a baton.

What the hell? The city now has a violent "Fashion Police Gestapo/Taskforce"? Or maybe she just wanted to see what was printed on the sweatshirt and her partner didn't like the joke when he finally saw it.

Quote:
His mother, Betty Holloway, said that without the surveillance tape, the truth about what happened would never have been revealed.

Record often, record everything. And where is the dashcam footage/audio of this incident?

Quote:
Family Demands Officer Suspension
"We are looking for the police department to suspend the officer pending an investigation," said Lucianna. "And I don't think this will take too much time -- maybe 15 minutes -- because the videotape speaks for itself. We don't want this to happen to anyone else."

Record often, record everything.

Quote:
Video surveillance was set up at Lawrence's Grill and Bar to catch criminal activity. On May 29, the day of the alleged beating, the shift manager was told there had been a police incident outside and reviewed the recording.

And that it did.

Quote:
The tape, according to Holloway's lawyer, was sent to the Passaic Police Department, "who did nothing about it."
The tape was eventually made public by the Bergen County Record newspaper.

And why wouldn't they want to do anything about it. If I'm complacent and don't turn somebody in after it becomes evident they comitted criminal assault and battery, I'm an accessory after the fact.

If the police cover up a criminal case of assault and battery because it's one of their "brothers in blue" comitting the crime, they're merely "following policy".

Quote:
http://www.examiner.com/x-2446-North-Jersey-Crime-Examiner~y2009m6d8-Passaic-police-beating-is-an-isolated-incident-period

Passaic police beating is an isolated incident, period

Joel, you ought to get a copyright on the phrase; with the uptick in this kind of mad-dog behavior among the worst of the boys in blue, you could stand to make a mint in royalties...

Quote:
"From watching the video, it didn't even look like the guy was a threat to the officer regardless if he was obeying commands or not," said one. "And I'm not sure where they got the resisting arrest charge out of that. The guy didn't even fight back.

Where does not fighting back equate to a beating?

Quote:
All you needed was one compliance hold and he would have been cuffed."

But that really wouldn't have been much fun, would it?

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.