Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Another wrong house... erm... clerical error... yeah 
 Post subject: Another wrong house... erm... clerical error... yeah
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Complaint: Deputies storm wrong house
Saturday, June 20, 2009
City News Service

LAKEWOOD, Calif. (CNS) -- Sheriff's deputies stormed the wrong house in an anti- gang raid and violated a Lakewood family's rights, a formal complaint alleged Saturday.

Darryl Harris, a probation officer and the father of four boys, ages 7, 12, 14 and 17, was awakened about 7 a.m. Wednesday by sheriff's deputies banging on his door and yelling at someone to "come out," the Long Beach Press-Telegram reported.

A gun was shoved in his face and Harris was handcuffed while his two oldest sons sat shivering in the front yard in their boxer shorts, according to the newspaper.

His 7-year-old was crying on the porch when deputies asked whether anyone else was still in the house and Harris told them his 12-year-old might be feeding the dogs in the backyard. One deputy said he'd get the boy while allegedly drawing his Taser gun.

"When I saw that I really lost it," Harris told the Press-Telegram. "I start yelling, `Are you going to tase my son?' The deputy just walked inside."

He also said deputies ignored his pleas that they could run the license plates on his vehicle and see it would come up as blocked for law enforcement.

The deputies, part of a multi-jurisdictional parole and probation sweep carried out by several law enforcement agencies in a number of local cities, simply asked if anyone else was inside. Deputies found Harris' 12-year-old boy in the shower and allowed him to dress before taking him outside to join his dad and brothers.

Twenty minutes later, deputies allowed Harris -- accompanied by five deputies -- to go upstairs and get his badge and identification. Harris told the Press-Telegram the deputies never offered an apology.

However, when Harris began yelling and cursing, they threatened they could still take him in.

Lakewood sheriff's Lt. Steve Sciacca confirmed to the Press-Telegram that a complaint was filed and is being investigated. Because of the investigation, Sciacca said the department cannot comment on the incident and that internal investigations of this kind usually take about 30 days to complaint.

The Press-Telegram reported that deputies in the field were mistakenly told that Harris's brother in law, who has been imprisoned for at least nine years for conspiracy to commit murder, lived at the house. Corrected paperwork clearing the address was issued three days before the raid, but never made it to the field, Harris told the Press-Telegram.

Harris told the Press-Telegram that a colleague parole agent at the scene didn't stop the deputies, and that deputies and the parole agent did not compare and confirm their operation orders in the days leading up to the 5 a.m. raid.

The acting captain of the Lakewood sheriff's station and a Corrections Department administrator eventually went to Harris' home to apologize, but Harris told the Press-Telegram more needs to be done.

"They violated my rights, my sons' rights, they violated my home," he said. "Thank God nothing worse happened..all I can think about is that postal (worker) in Inglewood."

The death of Kevin Wicks, a 38-year-old shot dead by Inglewood Police when he answered his door holding a handgun last year, also haunts Harris' wife, Kim, a labor and delivery nurse. "Not because I'm out for blood -- I respect the Sheriff's Department, I know that they do a great job," she said. "But ... someone screwed up here and (they) need to deal with the consequences."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Another wrong house... erm... clerical error... yeah
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:12 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Quote:
Complaint: Deputies storm wrong house

The death of Kevin Wicks, a 38-year-old shot dead by Inglewood Police when he answered his door holding a handgun last year, also haunts Harris' wife, Kim, a labor and delivery nurse. "Not because I'm out for blood -- I respect the Sheriff's Department, I know that they do a great job," she said. "But ... someone screwed up here and (they) need to deal with the consequences."

No, apparently they don't. What a comedy of errors.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.